1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me figure myself out, please? I don't know if I'm asexual or demi or what.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by MadderHatter, Sep 13, 2014.

1. MadderHatter

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm so confused.

So when I was a young hip tween, all my friends experienced surging hormones and crushes ranging from medium to extravagant. There wasn't a lot of dating at my school, because it was so small and everyone knew eachother since fifth grade, and not a lot of drama. I had tiny, inconspicuous, meaningless crushes from time to time---all on boys--- and these were both fully within my control and based almost exclusively on their availability. Like, "hmm, Ryan doesn't have a girlfriend, maybe that could work." I'm not sure they were "real" crushes at all, it's possible I fabricated them out of boredom, or social expectations.

I was appalled at myself when I found myself noticing and paying attention to my female friends' bodies, and finding them attractive. I never had a "crush" on a girl, though. Just attraction. I was afraid I was a lesbian-- if I was a lesbian, I couldn't marry my dream husband! Oh no! I was 14. :dry:

I've become more enlightened since then (thank god) and more aware of and involved with the LGBT community. I suspected I was bi for a long time, but never got the chance to test that theory, since I never dated anyone. I don't know anymore, though. Since I came to college, I've met people who've told me they are asexual, romantic asexual, pansexual, and going in-between, which I didn't know you could do. One of my friends brought up Demisexuality once, and I was intrigued. I don't know, though. I don't know myself as well as I used to think.

I recognize sexual attractiveness when I see it, and occasionally experience mild arousal when I'm in close contact with attractive people, or people I've "decided" to have a crush on. I've never wanted to kiss anyone, except for the experience of kissing someone. The idea of traditional romance freaks me out and turns me off, but I've always wanted a partner in life. I guess I still have this stupid childish idea of my Dream Husband-- a best friend and co-conspirator, someone whose life could just mesh with mine, and I'd be his gravitational center and he'd be mine, and we'd watch netflix and edit eachother's writing and cuddling and touching wouldn't be weird at all, just second nature. And in these fantasies, it's almost always a man. I sometimes get all hot and bothered around particular women, but in my imaginary dreamworld I don't really see myself with another girl in the long term.

I'm in college now, and suddenly dating a guy for the first time. I don't actually like him all that much. Logically, we should be compatible. He's a writer, I'm a writer, he does LARP, I do LARP, we're both bad at dancing. He's really nice and is deeply enamored of me, according to our mutual friends. The thing is, I think I'm missing something that should be there. The first time we kissed-- my first ever kiss-- I was mildly grossed out and sort of disappointed. He seemed to like it, though. I thought maybe it was just because I wasn't prepared for what it would feel like. We kissed a second time tonight, though, and I disliked it just as much. The taste of another human mouth. The insides of lips and the outsides of lips. Mouth. Tongue. Bleh.

It all sort of happened so fast. First we were dancing and then we were holding hands and then we were talking and cuddling and after a few hours we were kissing. Maybe I just think it's so weird because I don't actually know him super well yet.

Except, I don't find him attractive. I guess I had this subconscious theory that I'd magically BE attracted to someone once I became involved with them, but that's obviously not the case. He's not, by objective standards, a very physically attractive person, but I don't find a lot of people attractive who ARE objectively so.

I've been trying to figure out my sexuality for years. I don't understand it. I like some girls, and some guys. I don't like romance. I apparently hate kissing. I've never tried sex with another person, but to me, it sounds strange and awkward, and I don't really feel comfortable with the idea (in real life, at least). I've had wild internal fantasies about women and men. I've only met 1 person I've been attracted to enough that I'd probably be super cool having sex with, on the bizarre, miraculous off-chance that he'd suggest it. To me, the idea of being with a woman romantically usually seems slightly more awkward than the idea of being with a man.

I don't know if it's just this one guy that I straight-up hate kissing and feel no sense of attraction for. I hope its not. I hope I can fall in love with someone, someday, and kissing will feel normal. I want so badly to be in love. I want so badly to have a partner in life. I'm so confused, though.
    :confused:

Please help me figure this out.

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello MadderHatter,

You say you are not really attracted to the guy you have kissed. That might be the cause for the disappointed feeling you'd been having. You didn't like kissing him, but that doesn't really mean that you don't like kissing in general. I don't want to kiss everyone and I'm sure I wouldn't like a kiss with anyone, so don't worry about this particular kiss.

Are you anxious about yourself? That could result in you being not comfortable with the idea of sex, kissing, being intimate. This has quite some influence. Say, you don't like your own body, then the idea of having sex could be very awkward for you.

Cheers,

Quem

3. Luminous

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello friend :slight_smile:

I have also been questioning my sexuality for a while, and I think I can comfortably describe myself as Asexual at this point. I've never been attracted to anyone sexually, nor do I really fancy the idea of sex, especially penetrative sex. It's just not something I want or have ever desired. I've only ever dated one guy, and I don't know if it was him or the romantic aspect, but it was weird and awkward for me whenever it escalated past platonic, like kissing. Kissing was weird, and I remember thinking "is that it?" because it seemed like everyone liked kissing a lot and I just don't really see the appeal. Never moved past basic kissing in that relationship, and didn't really want to. Still, I want kids and a life partner, and I could probably deal with what came with that if I found the right person I guess. I love cuddling, especially with my friends, and hand holding and cheek kissing- all that is fine, because it's platonic enough- even like pecks on the lips are okay but past that it gets kinda weird for me, idk. I've never found someone "hot" either- I mean tons of people are cute and I don't really have any gender restrictions on that personally, but like, that's just aesthetically speaking- I never really see people and go "I want to have sex with them".

Anyway, recently I've been considering the identity of Aromantic for myself. I'm not sure if you know about romantic identities or not, but as you can probably guess, they define who you're attracted to romantically, not sexually. See, a person can be Panromantic (romantically attracted to all genders) and Asexual, or Bisexual or Pansexual- the two are separate, and don't always match for everyone. Aromantic is not feeling romantic attraction towards others. Aromantic and Asexual are umbrella terms for a whole spectrum, and there are variations to describe different spots on that range, the same way there are terms like Gay, Straight, Lesbian, Bisexual, Pansexual etc. on the sexual spectrum. Some people identify as Grey-Asexual (generally defined as: may infrequently experience sexual attraction or may experience low sexual desire, yet will generally identify as being close to asexual) and, as you mentioned, Demisexual (does not experience sexual attraction unless they have already formed a strong emotional bond with the person. The bond may or may not be romantic in nature), while some identify as Asexual. There are also terms like these on the (non)romantic spectrum, such as Aromantic and Demiromantic (does not experience romantic attraction unless they have already formed a strong emotional bond with the person). So that's something you might want to consider while you're trying to figure out what your identity is.

Anyway, whether you feel any of these terms fit for you or not, I hope this information might help you a little bit. And it's alright to be questioning- if nothing feels like it fits right now, leave it a lone for a bit and see how that goes, or do some more research if you feel more comfortable having a label. You don't have to fit exactly into a label's definition, and you're allowed to switch labels if it doesn't fit anymore- it's whatever makes you feel the most comfortable.