1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poly people?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by HarleyQ, Sep 14, 2014.

1. HarleyQ

I knew I liked women before I knew I could like men. As soon as I started dating (men mostly because I hadn't come out yet), I realized that I could love more than one person and be in a relationship with more than one person. That was actually preferable for me. I didn't know there was a term for the kind of life I envisioned for my future until recently. I found the term polyamory on accident and after looking into it, felt everything click in place.

I was just wondering if there were any other "poly people" here. :slight_smile: Or just what people thought of the general idea of polyamorous relationships.

2. DancingGirl

I am not currently in a poly relationship. I believe I could be though. Not with my current partner, he he completely monogamous. But if I were to have two people in my life that could understand and respect a relationship like that I might be able to do it. This is just something in the last week I have realized. Found it ironic that you made this post at a time when I needed it. I haven't seen any others yet.
    At this time I have nothing to offer in terms of advice but wouldn't mind talking about it.

3. HarleyQ

Yeah. I'm currently in a mono relationship, but I'm working my nerve up to come out and talk to him about it. I would definitely be open to talking about it if you ever wanted to. I have been in two poly relationships so indo have some experience.

4. DancingGirl

So if you don't mind me asking. What happened to those relationships? And how they came about, man and woman? What was the mix? I may be moving on from the current relationship and am interested in how I would let a future partner know I would be open to that with sounding like a kinky freak.

5. HarleyQ

I dated two other girls and the other relationship was with a guy and a girl. With the females, we all dated each other. There were group dates and group sleepovers. With the other relationship, I dated the male and female but the female had other relationships as well. The male did not want to, but was open to me dating another person.

It came about in a sort of random way. The girls and I just ended up liking each other and then things happened. *shrug* It was almost accidental. The other relationship started with me dating the guy and telling him that I had a crush on someone. It is vital to stay extremely open and honest, so I just went for it. It lasted for about a year and it was amazing.

I don't know if I would say that it is something that you should address right away, but it very well could be. The guy I'm with now does not know I'm poly and it's causing problems because I've developed feelings for another person. I would like to continue with both relationships but we haven't talked about it yet.

It's also different for each person and each relationship. :slight_smile:

6. Takine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That is the dream !

7. HarleyQ

I think so too! :slight_smile:

8. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am capable of loving more than one person as well, but the person I'm with currently, does not understand how someone can love more than one person at a time.

I've never been the jealous type, so I know that I'd be able to handle whatever comes along with having a poly relationship.

I mean, I really love my boyfriend and I don't want to leave him, but I'd really love to be able to have a girlfriend as well. However, he's not okay with the idea of me loving someone more than him. Even though, I've tried to explain to him that you can't really measure love, but meh.

It sucks because when we first got together, he led me to believe that he would be okay with it, but he lied to me.

#8 pinklov3ly, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  9. SavMachine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm a poly person and I have been in several poly relationships :slight_smile:

I recently had the offer to be in a relationship with someone on the condition that it would have to be monogamous and I just couldn't do it. I tried, but the idea that the romantic relationship that I was having with her was affecting the dynamics of other, non-romantic relationships I had with people freaked me out too much. I see relationships all separately from each other, whether they be romantic ones, sexual ones, friendships or anything else. The assumptions and... I guess rules? that come with monogamy can sometimes change the physicality or the dynamics behind those other friendships and I can't handle that. But that's just me :slight_smile:

10. DancingGirl

Thanks for the the input. I think I would like it to be separate. I don't do well in groups. But every monogamous relationship wasnt enough. I need more. I am not jealous I just don't feel comfortable in groups. I would be okay with someone having one other person. Like they have their main relationship and I have mine and then we fill in the rest our other needs with this other person. Probably asking too much but I hope to find something like that someday. I guess we shall see. Thanks again.