1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relapsed.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Benway, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Benway

Benway Guest

I hate myself right now.

I went and did it, again. This whole day is gone down the tubes because of it. I altered my appearance back, with one haircut and a session of grooming it will take me months to get back to where I was... I'm furious.

I feel like I'm having several psychotic breaks all at once. I told myself I wasn't going to indulge in homosexual behavior and while I haven't done it in person I still have gone and broken my own rule. July 15 - September 20, that was my period of celibacy and now it's completely wasted! No, you know what? "Furious" doesn't cover my feelings right now. I'm absolutely livid.

I am a highly skilled writer, I'm a brilliant artist, I am a master at problem solving so why the fuck can't I figure this out?

#1 Benway, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014
  2. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because you are the thing you're fighting.

This is ridiculous. And offensive. I mean, seriously, "relapse"? Bullshit.

Watch Peterson Toscano's "Doin' Time in the Homo No Mo Halfway House" if you want to get an idea of how people who are *serious* about it try to stop being gay...and how little success they have...and what finally leads them to happiness.

You dither with the resolve to buck your own nature, and then you come here and whine when you find you can't. I'm sorry...I know you want support...but I can't support what you're doing to yourself.

I wish you *so* well. Please (if you're not already) see a therapist about this. Preferably one skilled in LGBT issues, but even if they're homophobic, support of *some* kind is better than what you're doing to yourself.

3. Holly82

*deleted. I read your post incorrectly.

4. Benway

Benway Guest

I mean no offense. I simply am fighting with myself... As I've said there is no religious or political agenda behind my war with my sexuality-- It's simply something I deal with everyday due to a ghost that haunts me.

As I've said, I feel like a transgendered/transsexual person in some ways-- I'm an asexual male trapped in a gay man's body-- or mind. Every day it gets better and worse at the same time like a string of taffy being pulled each way.

5. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a productive analogy. Consider what is the recommended treatment for transsexual persons.

Thank you for your clarification of your intent re: offense. I truly do wish you well.

My video recommendation stands.

6. Auren

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It sounds like you're punishing yourself for some other unresolved issues, perhaps ones unrelated to sexuality, that are causing you to feel shame. I think you need to set aside your enforced celibacy for the time being and instead try to focus on whatever those issues are. Or at least try to just let yourself be.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're most likely engaging in homosexual behaviour because you are likely a homosexual. I mean, I'm sorry to just put it out there but having read this thread and others, what I get it a clear sense that you're gay, and probably one of the most robust denial/defense processes I've ever seen on EC.

You deserve better than this. And that doesn't mean trying to convince yourself you're asexual (which, based on what you've said and your actions, I'd infer that you clearly aren not) or that there's something wrong with you.

My guess is there's absolutely nothing wrong... except that you can't accept that you're gay.

8. Benway

Benway Guest

But why the horrified reaction after every orgasm? Why do I flee as soon as I'm relieved?

9. June Cleaver

Darling, ever hear YOU CAN'T FIGHT CITY HALL!? So embrace who you are and run with it! June

10. AsheTheHuman

Because you seem to still have internalized homophobia. Your brain registers it as wrong and dirty. I was the SAME EXACT WAY when I started masturbating. I was a Christian and had it drilled into my head that it was wrong to explore your sexuality or anything like that. My brain registered it as wrong and dirty. Eventually, I came to accept that it's natural and healthy because it is. It's not going to happen overnight, but as long as you realize that there's nothing wrong with it, eventually you'll stop being horrified. You're not trapped in a gay man's mind. You're trapping your own mind because your scared of it. I really wish you luck and hope that you can overcome this. Good luck!

11. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^^QFT^^^

The above covers it exactly. There's nothing wrong with masturbating to guys or having sex with guys if you're a guy. It is all something programmed into you and the fact that you seek out and enjoy the experience up to the orgasm makes it pretty clear that you are, indeed, attracted to same-sex partners.

What you're describing is actually completely normal for a lot of people just coming to terms with being gay. It's part of the denial process. The sooner you can begin to love and accept yourself for who you are, for whom you love, the sooner the revulsion after orgasm will go away.

12. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

I don't really get why you think you need to fight it but I don't undertamd a lot of stuff apparently. I do kind of see what you mean though in the the frustration you must feel , sort of. I don't think you're going to get any empathy here though. people here tend to be rather rigid unless your experience falls under one of the monikers that are acceptable(?) . I think that if it's as traumatic as it seems you need to seek out professional help since this is simply a venue for venting and advice in a nonprofessional setting .

13. Benway

Benway Guest

I'm just not sure what it is... I'm not from a religious family, nor is my family intolerant of homosexuality in any way. I study in religions as a hobby, but nothing more and am a sound agnostic. Is it anxiety? If it is why was I able to go through with my encounter with a woman and not a man? Perhaps it's something else... but what?

I was at the pharmacy earlier and my head practically cracked open when I saw the girl working the counter and the thoughts went through my head: Wouldn't it be nice if you could just ask her out, get married, have some kids, get old and watch your grandkids grow up? Wouldn't it be nice to just put all that silly gay nonsense on the shelf forever and get on with your life? Yes, it would but then it comes flooding back like a torrent. I fight it and fight it, not out of love of some god or archaic book... not out of a biased prejudice or phobia but from some personal artifact deep in the back of my brain clawing with a yellowed, bloody fingernail at a wall of craggy stone trying to make it all better.

What's behind that wall? Maybe nothing. Maybe everything I've ever wanted. Defense mechanisms... excuses, power to change my mind, the power to disappoint. These are things which at this point only I can understand. It'd be like showing a blind man something for the first time through new eyes. I'm so lost! I hear it, deep inside, scratching away at that wall. And all throughout this little stream of consciousness paragraph three little words persist in their typing: I'm going insane.

14. AsheTheHuman

This is kind of a shot in the dark, so please bear with me. I really do want to help and I'm sorry if this sounds silly. You seem to already have an idea of what a perfect life is in your head. I don't know for how long, but part of that life is marrying a woman. You've had this idea for a long time, and now you're realizing that that perfect life isn't the life you want. For the first time, you don't know what to do. You're very confident in yourself, and not used to having a major problem like this. You don't know what to do and that terrifies you to a point where you'd rather run away from your problems rather than face them. I'd highly suggest talking to a psychiatrist about this, preferably one who has lots of experience with the LGBT community.

15. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a bit confused...what is it you have actually done that is wrong, that you should be angry with yourself for? If you don't mind please explain...?

---------- Post added 22nd Sep 2014 at 12:44 PM ----------

You remind me of something. A few times over my adult life, I forced complete celibacy on myself - ie, no sex, not even masturbation, nothing - in order to 'get totally free from sexuality, and live a more peaceful life'. But each bout of celibacy, ended up being like pushing down a spring more and more forcefully; eventually it gets to the point where the spring pushes back quite forcefully itself, and I would 'fail' and 'relapse' as I used to put it. Then I'd binge for a while, enjoy the heck out of it, beat myself up for it, and finally get back into the abstinence game again...God that was such an unhealthy way to act (the 'binge - purge - binge - purge' merry-go-round), not to mention cruel towards myself, and of course, completely ineffective.

16. Benway

Benway Guest

Maybe that is my idea of a perfect life-- correcting all the things my mother and my father got wrong-- they fell out of love, drifted apart and some part of me desperately wants to make amends for a broken past. What drives me mad is knowing it can never happen, given my circumstances-- and not just sexuality-wise-- but that's an entirely different beast altogether. In my mind I've written thousands of better outcomes, compromises and alternatives to natural course of my own timeline in a beautiful, starving vision of how I could have gotten it right if I had the resources, both natural and obtained by being forged of my own hands. I've always wanted to fix what's broken but I know I never can. Maybe the next time around.

Yes, that does seem to be the case with me-- a merry-go-round. One time I got so upset with myself that I shaved my head completely bald after some guy in a local gay chatroom called me 'too indecisive' or something along those lines. I knew it was true but I also knew what I wanted was something I can't have, not just because it's something I want that's too far out of reach but because it's hardwired into my programming to strive for the alternative-- born that way, if you like. And it drives me insane, deeper and deeper into a pit of broken glass I feel like my very essence is being torn apart by what I am in opposition to what I want to be.

Now keep in mind none of this, what you all perceive as 'homophobia' is based in religious beliefs or political affiliations or prejudices. As I've had to state numerous times I come from a progressive family, welcoming of the gay community even with some gay people in our own family. I hold no ill will towards the gay community, if I did I wouldn't even be on this website-- I'd be elsewhere, I think that's obvious. I need help, and I don't know how to get it, because it's easier to tell this story in this way than it is to tell a therapist in a sixty minute session for eight hundred dollars a week.

17. nerdbrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your posts remind me a lot of my own inner world over the years -- the anguish, the self-flagellation, the ego tripping and, most of all, the frustration.

I came across an article the other day that captures some of this: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/opinion/sunday/charles-blow-up-from-pain.html?_r=0

Your ego may be an enemy in this case. No matter how smart and talented you are, your emotions and sexuality are just as dumb and childish as everyone else. But rather than hating it and struggling with it, perhaps there's a way to accept it, even embrace it. Hug your inner child!!! (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Seriously though, take a moment to look at yourself from the outside. You sound like a dog chasing his own tail into infinity. Surely some part of you must recognize the futility in this approach.

Maybe try putting all your rules, theories, ideas, possible outcomes, etc. on the shelf for awhile. This is all intellectualization that doesn't get you any closer to authenticity.

Gee, I sound like I'm giving advice to myself. Anyway hope it's of some use to you.

18. Benway

Benway Guest

I think I kind of see what you're saying, maybe I just need to... take a vacation from my hardened shell for a bit.

On an interesting note, I've not fled the cyber-gay scene in more than 48 hours since my 'relapse,' I'm usually only on for a maximum of 12 hours before I grow so utterly disgusted with myself. Maybe it will be different this time. It feels different this time. I'm not sure why.

I need to retire for the night. It's late and my head is aching from the cold glow of this terrible machine.

19. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    48 hours vs 12 is a huge victory. Take it for what it is. It's totally scary to walk into, and stay in, that sort of new territory where you consider the possibility this might actually be who you are, and might actually be OK.

We're here to help. All you have to do is take it one step, one day, at a time. :slight_smile:

20. Benway

Benway Guest

Three or four days now... still haven't fled and deleted everything, however it's been a rollercoaster of pain with me. I'm forcing myself not to do what I feel is natural after orgasm which is to flee in disgust. I'm growing to hate myself increasingly because now I feel like forcing myself to accept this side of me is forcing me to accept something I've fought for so long and I'm losing the battle or the war. I'm literally at war with myself.

I've been sleeping a lot, I haven't shaved or showered since the beginning of the relapse and have been walking around my house with all the shades drawn and blinds shut peering out of them in a paranoid fashion worried one of the locals I've flirted with online will recognize me and try to approach me. I cannot allow that to happen.

Maybe if I just give the demon inside me room to let off steam without unleashing it completely by engaging in actual intercourse I can keep some sort of moderation on the whole thing. The longest I went without trouble was almost a year. But I can't remember how I did that-- it seems so long ago and I had gotten to a point where I was content enough in an appearance I'd created for myself that I felt distanced me from my 'gay persona,' but now I'm back in my "regular" appearance and it will take me months to reattain that look due to the style put into the hair and beard and... I'm rambling.

I haven't left the house in... four days? I should go buy food, I've been eating canned food I have in the back of my pantry and when I grab the mail from my mailbox I do it quickly and at night. I've barely spoken aloud in the last four days. I'm oversleeping and when I do wake up I feel tired and depressed, my whole body aches in a psychosomatic manner built on self hatred and shame and guilt and desire for what cannot be.

But I haven't fled, yet. I'm hoping that maybe that postmasturbatory malaise will fade, eventually, but it hasn't yet. What's 48+24? 72? I think that's how many hours into my own little exposure therapy has been going on. Since Saturday afternoon, it's what day? Tuesday so that's... I'm too tired to think properly. I'll keep everyone posted.