1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First impressions!! Please help!!!

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Jason1998, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Jason1998

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So I have been on this site for half a year and figured out my sexuality and gotta say I am doing much better than before. I am 100% attracted to males & females ( females a little
    More)

Anyway in school I have many friends and nobody knows about my bisexuality and I am not even planning on telling them. They all know I'm straight and I like women. But every new friend I make (mostly males) say that when they first met me they thought I was gay or I have a gay personality and that really bothers me because I am trying to get away from that stereotype. Well I don't really fit in it away- yes I have some effeminate features
    But I have many masculine as well.

All my friends are nice about it they are just telling me what they thought. I am not changing the way I act and not planning on to but how can I get this to stop?

2. LittleDrifter

You can't change what other people think. But, you decide how you are going to take a comment.

I don't think it's fair of your friends to say you have an "X personality" of any sort. That is rude and undermines your actual self.

I suggest you figure out why you are bothered by people thinking you are gay. Do you dislike it because "gay" is inaccurate since you are bisexual? Do you dislike your friends assigning a personality to you that they see as negative? Do you and your friends share the idea that gay=bad?

It sounds like this "gay personality" you are describing is negative and composed of stereotypical ideas of what a gay man is. Not all gay men are "effeminate" and not all effeminate men are gay.

There is nothing wrong with being gay, bisexual, lesbian, trans, pan, etc., nor is there a set personality type that comes along with a given orientation or gender.