1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unrequited love hurts like crazy...

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Hard Candy, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Hard Candy

Hard Candy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think I have fallen for one of my best friends, but he is in love with his date, who have cheated on him many times and treats him like a doormat. After the last incident they fought, I think they're patching up things now though, so everything seems fine between them. Also, my friend accidentally found out my feelings for him through a diary entry in my laptop, and he told me that he wants to keep things platonic. As a coping mechanism (I guess), I said I was over that infatuation period.

How should I deal with this unrequited love? When I stay away from my friend, I miss him so much it makes me very sad, but when I'm with him, I know I will only get more attached to him and it will make moving on difficult (plus it's painful to hear stories about his date). Help me please. This drives me nuts.

2. wanderinggirl

I'm sorry, unrequited love sucks. There's no way to separate your friend and his date; you just have to let the relationship run its course. In the meanwhile keep yourself distracted, keep living your own life. Eventually you'll either be friends, or you'll be more than that, or you will drift away from each other and you'll realize he's not that great. It'll get better I promise. (*hug*)

3. flatlander48

As Charlie Brown said:

"There is nothing like unrequited love to ruin the taste of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich."

Often there is no Why to these to point to. Could be bad timing, lack of chemistry, etc. Who knows? The point is that you can't stop what you are about in the hopes that the situation will change. You have to keep moving forward or else you start to lose ground...

4. Hard Candy

Hard Candy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I hope we wont drift from each other. We were best gays before I fell for him. I at least wanna keep him that way. Maybe I should stay away until I find somebody else or until this thing subsides? though, as I have made it clear, it will be quite difficult because I miss him terribly.

Thanks for the virtual hug. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 30th Sep 2014 at 05:27 PM ----------

You're right, I cant let this thing ruin the other priorities in life, especially because it definitely can. There was a moment when I just wanted to curl up. :frowning2: But, well, let's just fight back.

5. Candace

I'm sorry that this has happened to you. Trust me, I've crushed on friends before and it hurts. I think what you should do is just try to wait for someone else who will actually be interested in you too. Go to LGBT meetings and just talk to more people in general. The guy that didn't love you back will be a distant memory before you know it :slight_smile:

6. Aberrant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with everyone else here. It should just become a faded memory if you distract yourself from him. I understand that you do have a good friendship with this person, but maybe it's time to focus on yourself if he's doing the same with himself (and another). You're not obligated to speak to them if you're only going to find yourself struggling because of them, but you don't have to stop speaking to them either. Just.. do things naturally. Let it be, I guess? Be normal? 'o'

Eventually, you'll forget about it and things will happen like they're supposed to.
    I think it sucks, too.

7. Hard Candy

Hard Candy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I hope that the distant memory would be how I have romantically attached to him though, and not the friendship. Because he's quite a good friend, and I dont wanna lose him as at least that.

---------- Post added 1st Oct 2014 at 01:43 AM ----------

What exactly do you think sucks buddy? That things will happen like they're supposed to? Thanks for the advice, I guess I should just things flow naturally.