1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapist

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by IG88, Oct 1, 2014.

1. IG88

I officially started seeing a therapist today for an issue with my family.

However, I was considering telling her next week or the week after that I was questioning my orientation. Do you think that this would help me any, because so far I haven't found the therapy exactly helpful?

2. Holly82

Therapy can take a while. Give it time. The most important thing is if you have a connection with your therapist. If you don't feel like you can say anything that you want or need to then therapy won't be nearly as helpful as it could be.

What is you impression of her so far?

3. AJ Bee

It does take several sessions to know if a therapist is a good match. As far as if you should tell her, it wouldn't hurt. I know it's not an easy thing, but I also know that in my own life, I have never told a therapist that I am a lesbian (I'm working on being able to do that)... and can say it really has held back my progress.

4. IG88

It definitely wouldn't be an easy thing to tell her. I hope your sessions go well with your therapist.

Idk, I'll continue to go to her, but I feel like her responses are predictable. She'll ask how I'll feel about a matter, or comment in agreement with what I just said. I don't need a parrot repeating what I just said, I want tools to get results. The only problem is, no one knows what I want, I don't know what I want, so no one knows how to help me.

If I did tell them that I'm questioning, they'll probably send me to an LGBT resource center. How could they help me figure out who I am?

5. Holly82

One of the tools you get in therapy is being able to talk. If you are paying someone to talk to them but then you aren't open and honest with them, what are you doing?

What can they do? Turn you away? Then you go and find a therapist who won't.

Mine had an open mind and open arms when I told her I was a woman inside.

6. Poppyseed

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went to my therapist with some hard hitting stuff and we've broached my sexuality. I have built a great relationship with her and that def took time but any therapist worth your time will help you decipher your feelings.

It wont hurt to ask.

7. IG88

So...at our last session I told her I was questioning! She was supportive and helped me talk about it. Next time we'll probably talk about this and my religion, which isn't on board with LGBT marriages.

Whew, it was kind of scary and embarrassing, but I want something about my life to change; and if I should try to go out on a date with a guy just to see if I would connect emotionally with a guy instead of a girl. I'm confused right now and don't know what I like. :/