1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll Regarding Fluidity (or lack thereof...).

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by WallWeed, Oct 5, 2014.

?

What describes you best?

1. I identify as homosexual; I have never felt attracted to the opposite sex.

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. I identify as homosexual; I once felt attracted to both sexes, but no longer.

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. I identify as homosexual; I was once hetero, but now I am only attracted to the opposite sex.

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. I identify as bisexual; I have always been attracted to both sexes.

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  5. I identify as bisexual; I was originally homo/hetero, but developed attraction to both sexes.

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. I identify as fluid; my attractions are in a state of flux.

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  7. Other: please describe in a post.

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. WallWeed

I'm sure this has already been conducted in some capacity, but ah well.

Basically, I'm interested in seeing how "set in stone" sexuality is for the members here. So, for instance, if you identify as strictly homosexual, have you ever been attracted to the opposite sex? Or if you're bisexual, were you ever homo/hetero?

For the purpose of this poll, try not to count yourself as homosexual if you have mere "preference" for the same sex and are still attracted to the opposite sex in some capacity.

EDIT: Woops, the third option should be "only feel attraction to the same sex."

#1 WallWeed, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  2. AsheTheHuman

I'm stealing this from another user here, but whatever. I'm Ashe-Sexual. I'm Ashe and Ashe knows what she wants. Boy, girl, anything else... If I like somebody than I just do. I don't worry about putting a label on my sexuality much.

3. Sasha Braus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I identify as pansexual with fluctuating preferences

4. thekillingmoon

What counts as attraction? Growing up I thought I liked guys. Thinking back to it I'm not sure if I really did. I definitely wasn't interested in sleeping with them and now it seems that I used to convince myself I had romantic feelings for them because it was expected of me and because I wanted to like someone. After I discovered my attraction to women, any interest I had in dating guys went away completely. To me that means I simply didn't know what I wanted until my attraction to the same sex hit me like a brick.

5. Reptillian

My sexual orientation died out around 5 years ago and I am 20. Nuff said.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Never felt attraction to the opposite sex the only man I ever liked looked like a chick but still I only liked him clothes on and not clothes off plus it was long distance . Don't know if that counts but other that No .
    Never really been sexually attracted to a man in my life , but I have always been to women , I did want a romantic relationship with a few men but that's because I thought that was what I was suppose to do not because I actually wanted it , Plus I used a lot of men for relationships to distract me from my emotional problems .

#6 stocking, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  7. Poppyseed

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always been attracted to men, but am becoming aware that I find some women attractive now. Can't classic myself as anything else but straight now but am aware that there is a possibility I could be bisexual or just attracted to women for now.

8. CrazyAwkward

There were one or two guys I picked that I had "crushes" on when I was younger because all the others girls seemed to be doing that. I was never really attracted to them though. I've always been attracted to women, but I didn't start picking up on that until my mid-teens.

9. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose the option that says "I identify as bisexual; I have always been attracted to both sexes." I feel like this is the one that describes me the best. However, over time, I've been becoming less attracted to guys to the point where I starting to think I'm not even attracted to them at all. I find them physically attractive, but it might just be that I find them aesthetically pleasing, because beyond that, the idea of heterosexual sex grosses me out and I can't see myself dating a guy. I don't really know what's going on, but for now, let's just say I'm bi.

10. As others have said, I'm not sure what counts as attraction. Growing up, I seemed like a straight little girl because I crushed on boys-- but I can't tell if that's because I felt like I needed to or because I genuinely liked them. Over two years ago, I began to think I was a lesbian, but there was a boy I was friends with that made me confused. He and I had always had a jokingly romantic relationship, and I think I might have actually liked him; soon after I decided I was gay, he basically told me he had feelings for me.

If you had asked me a couple months ago, I would have said that I liked him too and that he was the exception. Now, I'm not so sure. Another friend and I discussed him shortly after I cut ties with him, and that friend said that they knew very little about him, and I agreed. Nowadays, I get the feeling that I just really liked the feeling of having someone like me, even if I didn't necessarily like them. Sadly, I still fall into that trap, which makes my sexuality confusing for me sometimes. I need to work on developing my self-esteem.

TL;DR Idk if I'd say that I've always been gay, but I definitely am now.

11. WallWeed

I suppose I should I clarified my motives behind this thread.

Basically, I'm curious to see how many people (who felt they were gay and didn't/couldn't like the opposite sex) eventually developed feelings for the "other sex" down the road. In other words, as someone who has never crushed on a male or felt the slightest bit of attraction to them in any way, shape, or form, I wonder how likely is it that I might develop attractions to men over time.

They always say that you can't change, and I know it's a case-by-case thing, but I see a lot of cases of fluctuation.

12. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

It's hard to know what counts as attraction. I identify as homosexual now, but in the past I considered myself bisexual and I really felt like I had legit attraction to men.

It's hard to say why this changed in me, or in some people. It could be because it was a natural progression. It could be because I was gay all along and was denying it due to heteronormative culture. Or maybe even the fact that the idea of heterosexual relationships being such a turn-off made me lean more toward girls. It's hard to know.

13. Dakeli27

I didn't develop homosexual attractions as much as realize them, but at first I definitely didn't know I was pansexual.

14. ChameleonSoul

I identify myself as homosexual, but when I was younger I felt exclusive attraction to females. Whether or not I never had attractions to males that were repressed or not is debatable, but I definitely had feelings for girls, so I'd either say that I was once hetero or attracted to both genders.

15. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Very fluid for me. A few days ago, I was so into guys, all I wanted was a boyfriend. I actually thought I might be gay. But a few days later, the sexual attraction to women returned. I really don't care for labels in my situation. I think that once I have a partner, whether male or female, that my attraction will just settle on that person, and remain there, because that was my experience when I had girlfriends in the past: I would not 'look around' but rather, stick with the person I was with. I think this will hold true if I'm with a guy, also. So, yes very fluid, but really the person I'm most attracted to is a person I am close to. I suspect that the same thing will happen if I get close to a guy: he will end up seeming to me like 'the most beautiful guy', just as a women I fell for always appeared as 'the most beautiful woman', as well.