1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like I need a "questioning my sexuality life coach"

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Nurse Wretched, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Nurse Wretched

Out Status:
    Some people
    Does that exist?

In all seriousness, though. I'm a 35 year old woman who has never really questioned her sexuality all that much until recently. I gradually occurred to me that it seems like I'm maybe way more attracted to women than what some might say is "normal". I have realized that I much more often than not check out women more than men (or do all straight girls do that?). I have realized that I hate when a female friend starts dating a guy or even worse gets married. I'm jealous of the guy. I've never really thought about that from a romantic standpoint, though. In high school while my friends were discovering sex with guys, I was mourning losing my female friends. I really had no interest in dating or sex in high school.

I've had 3 semi-long term relationships with men. They were sporadic and mostly dysfunctional. I've dated several guys casually and mostly felt like they were kinda "meh". I've hurt a few guys who were really ready for a relationship and even though everything looked perfect in writing it just wasn't "there" for me. I wanted to keep the friendship and not muddy it up with their feelings or anything deep. I've had no real experience with women. When I was 13 I kissed a girl friend, but I wasn't attracted to her (we're still friends and I still don't find her attractive).

I don't feel comfortable right now trying to have a conversation with any of my female friends about any of these things. I have so many questions that mostly start out with "Do straight girls...?" For instance...Do straight girls fantasize about sex with men? Because I never have. When I've had sex with men it just kind of happened, heat of the moment kind of stuff and then "Oh, I guess we're dating now" or I broke it off the next day because I wasn't into him and he was thinking we were dating now (horrible, I know). Also, do straight girls really want to hurry up and get sex over with? I dig foreplay, but no so much the "main event". Do straight girls like looking at naked men? Because mostly it just makes me uncomfortable. I do think lots of guys are hot, but I never think "I'd really love to bang that guy", it's mostly just "Oh wow, he's hot" end of story.

If you've made it this far, thank you! Please, if anyone has any insight or advice, I'm so open to it.

2. -Michael-

Hello there :slight_smile:

I don't think lack of sexual interest in men necessarily means you're a lesbian.
    Not does checking out women.

I identify as a gay man but sex, for me, is last on my interests lists.

However, if you are finding yourself attracted to women, dont worry!
    It may very well turn out you are gay or bisexual.
    Or it may very well turn out you're enticed by the thought because its 'naughty'.
    Discovering your sexuality or a label you're comfortable with can be a rocky road for some. But i'd suggest just relaxing and not feeling pressured into needing a label.

Is there a close friend you feel you can confide in?
    Are you in an open minded general sounding?

3. Nurse Wretched

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for replying! Yes, I do have my best friend who happens to be a gay male. We've been best friends for nearly 20 years and the other day we were talking about this some and he said to me "honey, I knew you weren't straight the first day we met. Personally, I think you're bi." His opinion definitely counts as he knows me better than pretty much anyone else on the planet.

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might have a look at this:
    Am I Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgender?

There is romantic and sexual attraction...

and you might have a look at a thread called this has never happened before... and similar ones...

I'd say take your time...

5. Nurse Wretched

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you, Jay. I'll check those out.

6. -Michael-

Haha I'd be careful though!
    Though the best intentions are in the right place a lot of people who are out think they're the authority in coming out. So he could be accidentally swaying you into a label you may not think is perfect for you (if any)

But i'd just explain to him you're still figuring it out and if you can just chat to him now and then until you do figure it out.
    I'd ask if you can rather than assume, because although you're friends, I know when my friends keep bringing up the same topic I just try and brush it off or bring it to a quick close.

So letting him know you need time will just mean he'll be there with you and you're not just....seeking attention.

I know it all sounds like immature things but these all go on subconsciously.

7. Nurse Wretched

Out Status:
    Some people
    Michael, yep I understand what you're saying. to clarify his saying he always thought I was bi was a response to my bringing up that I was pretty sure I was crushing on a (female) friend of mine and wasn't sure where that came from and then my realizing out loud that "nope, this isn't the first time". He's super supportive and he made sure I wasn't feeling any shame and that I could always come to him if needed.

Not sure how significant this is, but: I forgot to mention in my original post that I DO have sexual fantasies about women and when I meet a girl I think is attractive I sometimes get distracted by wondering what it would be like to kiss her, date her, etc. I know the label shouldn't matter, but this is literally a new discovery for me so yep, I'm picking it apart lol.

8. -Michael-

It may very well be the case that you are bi or gay then!
    2 mains things you need to do really.
    1) Discover what you actually really feel
    2) Discover what each label is (sounds silly but i still don't know half the __sexuals out there)
    3) Discover if you need/want one of these many many labels

And so long as you have friends like him and a good support network then it can be a very fun journey. Even if you're just flippantly open like 'I think she's hot'

Even, you know, have some.....alone time discovery.
    You'll soon see what gets you going or not!

But key to everything.
    Enjoy it!

9. Nurse Wretched

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks!