1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Lesbian?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by emily088, Oct 20, 2014.

1. emily088

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hello.
    I'm not sure what is going on inside my head but it is ruining a lot of things for me and I just need advice from people who may have gone through this or can answer my question.

All my life I have always loved boys/men. I can still remember the names of the boys I liked when I was under the age of 10 and upwards. I was bullied when I was younger for wearing glasses which made me feel that no guy was ever going to like me and I became very shy and had self esteem issues. I always had a crush on famous people and also boys at school and just walking past them in the street, and I always wanted a boyfriend, I always hoped I would find a nice guy and dreamed about them pretty much all the time.

The first time a boy paid attention to me was when I was 14 and I was so excited by it, I could barely sleep that night, I thought if I died then and there, I'd die happy. We went out and he was my first kiss and I just thought he was wonderful(turned out to be a shit bag)and I was upset when he wasn't interested anymore. I kept on having crushes on boys and I went through an 'emo' stage and wanted to fit in with my friends who were bisexual so I said I was as well even though I had never been attracted to a girl. I then met my first boyfriend who I fell head over heels for, and we were together for 2 years. Half way through our relationship I got worried incase I didn't love him but I would do anything for him, i justmwanted him to be happy. When we broke up, it broke my heart.

I then met my second boyfriend who I was with for 2 years and I fell even harder for him, I remember looking at him and just thinking "I am in love with you" and I felt so incredibly happy with him for the first year. One day I got worried that I didn't love him and i got very bad anxiety from it like I did with my first boyfriend.i questioned reasons why I may feel like that and one was "maybe I am gay" but then I thought I have never liked a girl though and dismissed it. Our relationship wasn't the best and I'd always end up hurt, I've never shed so many tears over a person. When we broke up i was once again heartbroken. I slowly pieced myself back together again.

I was attracted to so many different guys when I finally felt better, and kissed quiet a few both sober and a few drunk kisses with guys that I liked. I felt on top of the world when a cute guy talked to me, and when a guitarist serenaded me at work, I thought this is what it feels to be attracted to someone, like fireworks attracted, I still think of him today.

Anyway skip forward to a year ago. I had a really tough year last year, I was raped by someone I thought was my friend and obsessed about the possibility that I could've had hiv(he wasn't hiv+). I became depressed. My first thoughts were how am I going to break this to my parents and now I will never be able to spend my life with a man and have a family with him. I have never felt so low. Slowly but surely I decided not to let that event define me and picked myself up and became a better version of myself. But I had had to so much stress and anxiety, I felt like a time bomb ready to explode.

So a few months down the line, I started feeling a familair anxious state that I had felt with my ex boyfriends, and I got worried incase people thought I was butch and that's why I no man wanted me. "If I'm butch, does that mean I am gay? Am I attracted to women?" And then I had a panic attack, I thought to myself, have I ever been attracted to a woman? Not that I can remember, sure some women are stunning and I'd love to look like them but I don't want to have sex with them nor kiss them. But i started obsessing, what if I am? What if my whole life was a life and I didn't really love my boyfriends and I didn't really want to marry a man or jump on that guitarist? I became depressed. I tried to accept it thinking well if I am a lesbian that's cool, I'll still love myself, but I couldnt, it didn't feel right, how can I be a lesbian if I love men and never felt attracted to a woman?

This has came and gone in waves. I began liking a guy I met, and I thought well this worrying was worthless, but after feeling the butterflies and really falling for him, I began
    worrying, what if I didnt really like him? Anxiety kicked in.

I then met a guy working at a hotel and I didn't feel anything for him at first, sure he's alright. But over time I started seen g him in another light, I think I liked him. We got together and I started falling for him harder and faster, I'd find excuses to see him between shifts, I'd slow down walking to an area so we would run in to eachother, and I fantasised about us being together. When other girls spoke about him or the were talking to him, I felt very jealous. When I realised we werent going to work, I felt very shit. I tried to hold it in, but one night I just cried, it hurt.

But I still have this worry, what if I'm gay? What if I'm so in denial I can be attracted to a woman? I tried to fantasise about women but I just have no interest and I try to get the image out of my head. When I think of guys, I get turned on. I just get scared when j think of guys romantically, I get scared of the thought that what if I don't really like them and I won't ever have this.

Please can someone help me, if I was a lesbian, I'd have no problem with it and I wouldn't have a problem coming out and I know I wouldn't lose the people I love but I just love men and I want to be with them(in fact im talking to a really cute guy, and i don't want to feel anxious about anything if me and him date, I just want to enjoy it). But am I in denial or am I just obsessing over a fear of not meeting the right guy?

2. emily088

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Sorry for the really long post, but I'm so tired of worrying if I'm lying to myself or not. I should also add that the first time I hot turned on by a guy was when I was 13 and I was reading a book, this was the first time I ever got turned on. When I look at a girl and ask myself do you fancy her, I get like a tightness down below, it's isn't pleasurable, it feels more tense and anxious. I once also felt this when I looked at a dog and wondered if I was attracted to that

3. Rosalynn

You are probably not lesbian if you love men, you could be bi, pan, straight, whatever. If your parents would be accepting of you as a lesbian then you can probably tell them you were raped, (if you haven't already) they would be comforting. You can go out with this cute boy you speak of. You don't need to be certain of anything. There are multitudes of people out there who will love you and care for you. Find them. Cast all doubt from your mind. Go unto the world and find your soul mate. Be happy. (and stop obsessing!) See a therapist if it helps. We'll be here for you and spend some time on here, reading other people stories and responses and suchlike. I find it helps. I'm sorry if that was blunt and a bit mean but you seemed so anxious and confused, I just had to be firm. (*hug*)

4. lovely lesbian

To me it doesn't sound like your a lesbian you could bi you seem to love men a lot

5. emily088

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you so much for your replies! I need to just relax but it's so hard, I just keep obsessing. I would totally be cool being either lesbian or bisexual, but the thing is, I've never felt sexually or romantically attracted to a woman, I've tried to think hard about if I ever have, and nothing comes to mind. I've just always loved men and being physical with a woman doesn't appeal to me at all, do I sound like I'm in the closet? When I relax and don't feel stressed, I feel happy and I realise that I don't have any attraction to women, but when I am stressed, I feel anxious and I start doubting everything, when I first wondered about myself I even worried incase I wa attracted to my own mum.

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

To me it honestly sounds like you are straight, but you had a bad experience with a man so that can cloud judgement and make you wonder if you are attracted to women. I definitely understand that because I live with a rape survivor. She is straight, but she developed a fear for men and didn't want to date any anymore until she found a man she felt she could trust again. To me you don't sound lesbian at all, or even bisexual because you experience attraction to men, you fell in love with and enjoy being with men, and you don't seem to feel that connection with women. I'm wondering if you're questioning because you've been hurt and that might make you feel anxiety over being attracted to the other sex.

7. Emotional love

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you need counselling to get over your anxieties. It doesn't matter if you're gay or not, just love the person you're with for the right reasons. It doesn't appear you are lesbian from your post.

8. emily088

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you so much for your replies! Yeah I have got a lot of anxiety, I always have. I get worried about things that mean a lot to me. It's so weird, I can see that I don't have any attraction to women, but I just worry that maybe I have lived a lie, and I didn't really fall in love before and that tortures me. I have never once felt attraction to a woman like I do with a man, with a man its hard to explain but it's like magnet, I'm drawn to them and I just go crazy about them. When I wonder if I am attracted to a female, it's none of these above, I just ask myself and I say no, and it's just like a nagging thought, but what if I was an I was unaware of it even though I feel no desire to be with her, and it can be any woman, any age, pretty much every woman I will question myself, it's like its mechanical and not natural, but with men it is, I dont ever wonder am I attracted to him, it just happens naturally before I can even think about it

9. DarkestDream

From your post here, I can tell that you're definitely NOT a lesbian, and what's been said here might be helpful, and that is, to get counseling. Traumatic events as you've experienced mess with your head and emotions. I'll be keeping good thoughts for you! :slight_smile: