1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell him or just end it?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Nightswimming, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Nightswimming

Alright so, I've been talking to this guy online for maybe two weeks now, and I guess you could say we connected easily, we're kind of similar (quiet, a couple of shared interests). We've led completely different lives and that's probably why we're so interested in each other. Even though I like talking to males, I'm always wary about it because it always ends up with them catching feelings. He eventually let me know that he liked me, after I pressured him (though I already had a clue). The thing is, he thinks I'm straight and I didn't do much to correct him. Whenever we talked about relationships, I kept it ambiguous and never used male pronouns. I told him nothing was gonna happen, but we did talk a lot about what it would be like if I said yes. I really did entertain the thought. To clarify, I definitely was not 100% comfortable with my sexuality. I don't think I still am. I've been constantly wishing I was straight for a while now and I think I did this so if I could maybe force myself to feel something. It didn't work, even though I thought it did. I spent a lot of nights angrily crying over this, going back and forth, thinking there was something there (it was more like, why couldn't I just be straight?). But I think there was some element of me liking the attention, and liking knowing that someone had feelings for me, but I took it too far.

After being depressed the whole day yesterday, I woke up this morning pretty much sedated over the whole situation. I know I don't like guys. I thought it was me just limiting myself, pushing myself away from the idea, but it was really just me being in denial and ignoring the fact that it was never about whether I liked him or not, it was whether I could be bisexual. I know the problem is that I haven't met the right girl yet. I only get hit on by guys and it's like, might as well. It's not right though.

So now I'm at the point of wondering if I should just tell him I don't like guys or just let him go. I actually wouldn't be too messed up about ending things. I'm not attached, but I would be a little sad. I think he's a really cool person and I wish I could be 100% myself with him, but there's too much stopping me. If I tell him, I don't know how messy it's gonna be. He's definitely going to think the whole thing is weird. Why would I fake it like that (even though I wouldn't consider what I did to be "faking" - I really did want there to be truth in it). I guess I led both of us on?

This kind of sounds like I'm married and have to break it to my husband, or something. I'm just glad it didn't go that far.

2. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should definitely tell him. It really isn't fair to him.

3. Really

You could tell him that you really enjoy his friendship and appreciate his attention but just want to clarify that as far as anything more than a friendship, you're interested in girls.
    That's if he truly seemed to be trying to advance things. If not, you could casually mention a girlfriend in some context. Past, present, or future. Just so he knows.