1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can my sexual orientation be fluid?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Beth01, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Beth01

Out Status:
    All but family
    Recently, I have discovered that I like girls. Before this, I just kind of assumed I was
    aro-ace because I didn't like boys. I just really accepted this the other day. However, someone asked me what my earliest memory was and, though I didn't tell them this, my first memory is me in kindergarten having a crush on a boy. Is is possible for my sexual orientation to completely flip like this, or is this "just a phase"?

2. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your sexuality can definitely be fluid. I've experienced it too. I remember all throughout elementary and middle school being totally attracted to girls and having no feelings for guys, but in ninth grade I started feeling attracted to a guy I met at a swim meet. Now, I feel more attracted to boys than to girls. So it is definitely possible for sexuality to flip. It may just do it once, or it may do it multiple times, but don't start doubting yourself just because you feel different attractions at different times.

3. P25

P25 Guest

I believe ur sexuality can be fluid. When i was 14 I fell in love with my best friend and have loved her ever since. That was over 20 years ago. I am married, to a man, have two children, and can say that my sexuality is fluid. I believe you love who you love...it's the person. Gender is not relevant to me. Good luck! There is a lot of great support on this board :slight_smile:

4. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, yes, yes! Sexuality is extremely fluid. I never really had crushes on girls or even thought about being gay until around 9th grade. I had crushes on boys only. I still like boys, but I like girls a lot more at least for right now.

5. Sunshine3000

Sunshine3000 Guest

Yes sexuality is very fluid and I can completely relate! When I was in elementary school I was infatuated with boys and girls! In middle school I didn't really like guys... ever. Aside from maybe one because I thought he had a nice face for a couple of months haha! :grin: In high school (my freshman year) I didn't like anyone. I went homecoming and remember thinking it was so weird that all these girls had guy dates when I just wanted to be with girls! (I thought it was just as friends at the time of course.) My sophomore year I liked a guy... it was the first guy I had ever felt this way for. I always wanted to be around him and hold his hand and everything. Ever since I haven't really felt this way for a guy and started questioning if I was a lesbian. I'm still questioning if he was just an exception but my point is that fluidity and is totally normal and you're not alone. :grin:

6. lovely lesbian

Yes it can I crushes on boys in school and now well

7. loverunsout

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I believe that every one's sexuality is fluid. There was a time in my life where I did have crushes on a lot of girls, but it wouldn't really go further than that.

8. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it can be fluid in some people, but I don't think it's nearly as common as people think. I think a lot of people who feel like they have a fluid sexuality are either bi or are just changing the way they understand themselves. I had an obsession with my sexual orientation for a few years. When I was hyper focused on my sexuality it did feel fluid, but I don't really think it actually changed. I did notice some good looking guys, but I always got repulsed when I had actual chances to do stuff with guys.

9. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I fluctuate between straight and bi so it's possible ye

10. candle

i dont believe sexuality is fluid

when someone tells me that, all i hear is "you'll meet a guy one day"
    its basicly homophobia disguised in a nicer language.

11. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sexuality is fluid. Period.

You dont act the same when you were a kid. People change overtime. Saying that sexuality isn't fluid (@candle) is like saying you'll never grow up.

12. BiSus

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes it's very possible! Preference could easily change with time and it's not uncommon for it to do so. I used to have crushes and feelings for girls only and then one day I took an unhealthy interest in my best friend (guy) and since then I've fluctuated between the two.

13. ForeverYoung000

Oh, definitely!!

Up until 7th grade, I always had things for guys and only guys. People asked me if I was bi and I said no...

8th grade came and that's when I really starting questioning my sexuality. "Am I bi?? No...that's crazy! No...I can't be...Pfttt...nah I'm not" The next day, the craziest shit of shitiness happens. My hormones kicked in and I started feeling a thing for one of my friends. Oh my gosh...it was crazy. The next day, I didn't feel that anymore. I only had this one guy crush and that was it.

Days before my graduation, I started touching this girls hair and talking to her while she was talking to other girls. When I stopped, I then kept to myself for a few minutes and I overheard one chick whispering..." I think she's bi." I went home and thought about it...." I can't be...I cant..." I then remember my 1 day girl crush. " Holy Shit..."

9th grade came and I was kind of happy. But, I didn't know what to expect. Other than older kids and extra homework, that was basically it. Oooo...it was a totally different ball game. I was relieved but then again I was still terrified. They had all kinds of people there. From gays to goths. I was very happy and I blended right in with the crowd. Still questioning, I met others who were also bisexual, Gay, straight, ....oh my gosh. :icon_bigg:tears: Anyone who would ask me about my sexuality I'd say, " I'm straight...im straight." I was afraid of coming out, also wasn't sure about my sexuality. In the middle of the school year, I transferred.

#13 ForeverYoung000, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  14. ForeverYoung000

It was the middle of 3rd quarter. I was sooooooo upset. Every freaking year, I have to leave my friends behind. But, I understand why she did it. It was a collegiate high school so yea. But I was pretty pissed. Also involved in sports and stuff. After I transferred, I then accepted my sexuality as bisexual. My friend (girl) texted me a month after I left telling me how she felt. I was flattered but...she had a boyfriend. She was also bisexual.

10th grade- I'm still at the same collegiate high school. I was there for 4 months of freshman year. It was a small school and I pretty much know everyone, including some freshmans. Here in this high school, it was NOTHING compared to the other one. There was no LGBT. Everyone seemed straight as a stick to me. The other day, there was these two freshman girls holding hands down he hallway. :tears::tears: I wanted that. I already came out to one of my friends at school and I was scurred as hell. I was expecting to move from this apartment because their are no girls my age around here. It's basically full of little kids and grownups. But..surprise, suprise. She renews the lease for another year. :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:...great.

Laying down on my bed while telling my story at this minute. Yes, sexuality is fluid. I've went through it. ^_^

15. candle

no i dont think its fluid

if its "fluid", youre probably just bisexual