1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with attraction and stuff.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by curryander, Oct 27, 2014.

1. curryander

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey. So I'm 16 and a female, and I also happened to be confused about pretty much everything to do with my sexual orientation. I've been trying to figure things out since 7th grade, but to no avail. Alas, I do not wish to spend the rest of my high school experience puzzled out of my mind or in a closet, so I come here seeking advice. Keep in mind that I have always struggled with building even platonic connections with people, and find it difficult to establish any relationship in which I 'want' to be around that person. So that may or may not affect my experience.

Let's just start off by saying that I haven't had very many 'identifiable' crushes. I have had one crush (w/ butterflies) on some guy in middle school, but nothing else similar after that. I will find myself having an interest in getting to know certain boys in school, and appreciating their features, but I feel my attraction to them only goes so far as friendship, or perhaps kissing. However, I have been told that oftentimes crushes will develop further once the initial 'getting-to-know-you' part is breached.

With girls, I am even more confused. There have often been girls in my childhood that I will look up to, will feel an intense connection with, and will get an excited feeling in my stomach when thinking of being friends or girlfriends with them. However, it is difficult enough for me to want to make friends with anyone, and I often end up dismissing both possibilities.

I recently became aware of the fact that I probably should have had more crushes at my age. I know I am interested in a sexual relationship, but am unsure of with whom. The butterfly feeling in my stomach when looking at pictures of celebrities only comes when I feel a connection with the character they play onscreen. When I see men shirtless (no matter how attractive they are), my first reaction is usually me wanting that shirt back on. I can appreciate them better with clothes. With women, it doesn't matter how little clothes they have on, because I will likely picture having sex with them. Is this sexual attraction? Can I experience attraction without arousal? What does arousal feel like? My guess is it's that fluttery heat you get in your stomach and that pressure in your groin. Yes? No? You see my naivety and confusion.

I can picture myself having sex with men, but the thought is almost disconnected, in a way. I have no desire to even look at a penis, much less touch one. A vagina seems much more welcoming, and a woman inviting. The thought of being with a woman romantically and sexually is inviting. I love the feel of kissing girls, but I have not kissed a guy. A deep guy's voice sends shivers in all the right places, but so do girl's voices.

Basically, my hope is that by the end of this year, I will be able to confidently say one way or another whether I am lesbian, bisexual, or straight (or a combination). But should I be concerned about my lack of interest in a specific person? Sorry for the long post, will you help me?

2. ImaJen

Hey, I was in exactly the same position as you about 18 months ago, with the addition of having gone to an all girls school (which did wonders for my internal feelings). From what you're saying it sounds like you're bisexual, but it is also possible that you have a different sexual orientation to a romantic one, which is what I found I have. Honestly, it just takes time, as I know hormones are flying all over the place at times when you're thinking about sexual relationships etc. My advice to you would just be to think about the male friends in your life: have you ever wanted to get closer to them in a sexual way? A romantic way? Then do the same with your female (and any other non-binary gender) friends, and see what you come up with. The answer may not be quick and easy to find, it may take years, but you'll get there.

With regards to attraction, honestly just wait it out. There will be someone for you, trust me. I wasn't really attracted to anyone until I was 17, but it can be different for everyone. You may be asexual/aromantic, which is completely fine, but from what you said it doesn't sound like it.

Hope this helps!