1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

18 gay male. Struggling with coming out

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by jessieca, Nov 1, 2014.

1. jessieca

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello everyone! I am 18 years old and I'm a gay male. I have recently come out to a handful of friends over the past few months and they have all been very supportive of me. I feel that my situation is getting a lot better but I still feel sad sometimes.

I have not come out to my parents yet and I am definitely not ready to any time soon. I am not sure why but this is just the way that I feel.

Also, I feel awkward bringing up to my friends that I am gay when it doesn't just flow into the conversation. What I mean by this is that if someone asks me if I think a girl is cute or if I have a girlfriend, etc. I can comfortably segway into telling them that I am gay. (not just anyone though... at this point in my life I'm comfortable telling this to close friends and that's about it.)

For instance, at work the other day one of my co-workers asked me if any of the girls at my college are cute to which I responded with "yeah haha" and then walked away.

Anyway, I reached out to a friend and she told me that when she was having to deal with some rough situations in her life she sought therapy and it helped her to the point where it changed her life. I hope to seek therapy in the near future.

I wish that I could just be as accepting of myself as I am to other people. It's quite strange how I give people such great advice on being okay with themselves etc. yet I am not okay with myself... if I could just listen to my own advice!

Anyway, if anyone is reading this I would love to hear back if you have any tips or if you went through something similar! Thanks! :slight_smile: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/images/smilies2/smilewave.gif

2. DragKing69

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Coming out is a rough time, I know, I went through it too. What you really have to do, though, is to stay true to yourself and be honest. Imagine all the people in the world who love you and appreciate you for who you are, and how hurt they would feel if someone didn't. And sometimes, going against the grain to tell someone you're gay or to talk about it is OK! it's natural to be hesitant to talk about it when it doesn't fit. I hope this helps, and we're all here for you.
    Your friend,
    B

3. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should give yourself credit for coming out to your friends because it is not an easy thing to do. With your parents only tell them when you are ready. You have come further than you realised. Well done :slight_smile: