1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You don't act gay!

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by SquirrelGirl, Nov 10, 2014.

1. SquirrelGirl

I'm confused about my sexuality. I've tried to be open about it with several people and they all (except one) told me they think I'm straight because I don't act gay. Is this an indication of anything? I honestly don't think I'm 100% straight but I'm not sure where I fall on the spectrum.

Thanks

2. Quiet Raven

You can't "act gay". Gay is an orientation, not a personality.

3. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

This is just their ignorance speaking.. I myself do not act gay but i'm 100% attracted to women. I want to marry a girl, sleep with a girl and be with a girl forever. That does not have anything to do with my looks or personality.

If you are a girly girl.. It doesn't mean you are automatically straight. People just like to show their ignorant side a bit too much when it comes to stupid comments like this. Be yourself chica. x

4. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

I got the opposite. Many people think I'm a lesbian. I'm actually a straight guy.

Stereotypes are annoying - forget about 'em :wink:

5. Quiet Raven

Kinda reminds me too when my roommate just came out and asked, (admittedly he was a little drunk at the time) "Is your brother gay?" When I said no, he responded, "oh, he just seemed so nice, it really surprised me. I figured he was gay."

Yeah... All really nice guys are gay.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I thought all you had to do to be gay was only be into the same sex , this explains why people think I'm straight all the time .:dry:

7. SquirrelGirl

Thanks everybody for the responses. Most of the people I've talked to have known me all my life and bring up things like the "crushes" I had on guys in middle and high school and me planning our weddings. I wonder though if I was just in denial or believed I was straight and none of those were real?
    Thanks

8. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  9. Yuriseme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    There is no "acting gay". It's an orientation of who you like like or love. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

10. Andronas

I've been told that one a few times. I hate it so much. I hate stereotypes like that. Not all guys or girls will fit the supposed standard for being gay. They really are just ignorant.

11. Benway

Benway Guest

For me, it's a "You don't look gay," thing, yet all my friends are constantly reminding me of certain subtleties in the way I carry myself (ones I actively deny in front of them, but acknowledge internally that I do in fact exhibit). It's annoying because I love being in the closet, both figuratively and literally.

12. I am Kakashi

That is an indication that your friends may just need more information/ schooling on GLBT issues. While our community has it "flamers" (very effeminate men) and our diesel dykes, that's by far a minority for how most gay people act.

13. Benway

Benway Guest

Yeah, it's not that simple. I'm not a flamer, and everyone in my circle has more gay friends than I do. I'm a something of a shut-in, I don't typically interact with the community outside my circle.

14. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

How the hell do you 'act' gay??

15. Benway

Benway Guest

Micromannerisms, a limp wrist here, an effeminate crossing of the legs there... the fact that I don't know the names of any famous women but can name any male actor off the top of my head, my voice becomes heightened and excited like a girl's when I'm happy... etc.

16. Elementsroyalty

People always assume that I'm 'pretending' to be a lesbian because I like to wear nice dresses. It's rather strange because in every other way I act like a stereotypical butch lesbian. Yet, just because I dress femininely suddenly I can't possibly be gay.

17. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Check my Internet history :wink:

18. I am Kakashi

19. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you came out as gay, did they give you the Handbook?
    If you got the Handbook, did you read it?
    If you read the Handbook, did you do what it said?

'Cause the Handbook tells you all the things a gay person needs to do to act gay, and of course, you can't *really* be gay without reading and following the Handbook. 'Cause of course, being gay isn't a matter of your sexuality...it's a matter of living your life according to a script that broadcasts to straight people "THIS PERSON IS GAY." 'Cause they need those cues...'cause they're bigoted idiots.

20. Andronas

Lol. I remember some people telling me that some guy was too hot to be gay. Like only unattractive guys identify as gay so they can get love. Argh. People are so stupid.