1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wondering about romantic orientation?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by lionfood, Nov 14, 2014.

1. lionfood

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This one could be a bit silly but am I aromantic? And is it normal to not want to be aromantic? Because I think girls are beautiful, I imagine the rest of my life with a woman, and never think of men/boys sexually, romantically or otherwise, but I don't think I've ever really had a crush, or much sexual attraction, really. I can pass off not having sexual attraction for now as "there are no girls I'm attracted to in my life" (though I did once have a second of attraction to Harry Styles which felt so wrong because he's quite male and I just don't see men that way!) but I just wonder why I've never had a proper crush, even on a straight girl? I'm fifteen and a lot of my friends have had MULTIPLE relationships by now. My best friend has a crush on me a lot (quite awkward as I see her as a sibling, almost) and all of my main group of friends are in relationships.
    So basically, what I'm wondering is, am I a late bloomer or could I be aromantic? I do WANT to have a relationship and stuff but at age 15 and having never had a real crush (I don't really count the LDR i was in from age 13 to 14 with some girl because it was too confusing) I do wonder. My mum didn't hit puberty til age 16 but I've definitely hit puberty. I admit I did used to think that gay/queer kids were ALL late bloomers because that's just what I observed but I don't think that's strictly true.
    I'm rambling, sorry. But thanks for reading and please help?

2. Rosalynn

I don't think you're aromatic. I mean you could be but if you want to build relationships you're probably not. Just my two cents.

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Maybe you're not aromantic, but just haven't found someone you like, really?
    Even though I have had crushes before, I'm like this in that they're extremely rare

4. Sunshine3000

Sunshine3000 Guest

Oh my lanta, reading this was like reading my thoughts. You're not alone, I totally feel the same way right now! Though, I'm almost 18! Sorry my reply wasn't very helpful but you're not alone with your feelings. I don't want to be aromantic and I'm leaning towards lesbian! Have you figured anything out since you posted this?

5. lionfood

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, haven't figured anything out! :frowning2:

And to the commenter who said that since I want romantic relationships, I'm probably not; That's what I thought, but one of my best friends is asexual and homoromantic but recently I think she discovered she's aro? And she didn't want to be; she wanted to have relationships. So its confusing argh

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Well, you can want relationships and still be aromantic of course. I've seen aromantic people get in relationships for the company and quick sex, but didn't feel anything toward their partner. But I also think that just because you haven't felt it yet- it could still happen since I didn't have crushes at your age either. Just offering both sides of it :slight_smile:

7. Sunshine3000

Sunshine3000 Guest

So, being aromantic is simply the lack of romantic attraction and I guess romantic attraction is more or less the ability to fall in love with a specific person... which in my opinion, it's not a choice who we fall in love with. And falling in love is a feeling where there is a physical and emotional reaction that may include obsessive thinking over the person, excitement when around and/or thinking about the person, heart racing, heart melting, 'butterflies,' infatuation, and a feeling of which you want to be with that person forever...... maybe that definition might help you a bit more! :slight_smile: