1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypothetical aromantic but sexual

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by warholwendy, Nov 27, 2014.

1. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was thinking, if it's possible to have romantic feelings that aren't sexual, would it then be possible to have sexual feelings but not romantic ones? I guess it could be like an eternal-bachelor situation but given the general contempt people have for people that only want sex I could see this type of person having trouble in life if they were out as this.

2. AnnoNemus

I'd be surprised if there weren't people like this out there. I could definitely see people like this having problems, both with others in society, and perhaps with themselves for failing to conform to what society believes.

3. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Yeah, of course. There are people only into casual sex and not relationships.

5. TurtleCat

I think a lot of people are like this and are the ones that are demonized for being slutty, promiscuous, or only wanting sex with no emotions. I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as everyone is honest and upfront about intentions.

6. Andronas

I've been considering the possibility that I might be aromantic for a long time. It's really not possible for me to tell what I am or might be, considering my upbringing and surroundings. I haven't had the chance to meet that many guys yet, so there might be one out there that I eventually share a loving relationship with. I have only met two guys so far that I considered as potential for having a more-than-sexual relationship with. In both cases, those relations turned sour rather quickly. I've definitely got some learning to do, both about others and myself.

I don't think it's necessary to come out as being aromantic, but you can if you like. I generally don't have a problem explaining myself to people when necessary as being gay. Coming out as gay/whatever is a great analogy for coming out as anything really. There will be those who accept you, of course, but there are also going to be some people out there who think of you just as you said, but there will always be haters. I suppose you could just put it as, "Yeah. I have never been the type of person to have romantic feelings. I'm not broken or anything; it just doesn't happen."

I've always hated the terms slut, whore, and whatnot. People can go for whatever they want. It doesn't make them bad people. Sex isn't bad. Sex "without emotions" isn't bad either. I don't know where people get these silly preconceptions from.

#6 Andronas, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014