1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aromantic or just impatient?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by bornthiswaybby, Nov 30, 2014.

1. bornthiswaybby

Hi!

I've been getting down in the dumps that I haven't been able to fall for a guy since my last breakup and people have suggested maybe I'm aromantic? I don't even know what it is or means. I want a relationship but I can't seem to fall for anyone. Is it just that I haven't come across the right person do you think?

2. Rainbows~Exist

May I ask how long has it been since your last relationship?

3. bornthiswaybby

it's been exactly 2 months

4. BelleFromHell

I say you're in the same boat as I am; the "Will the perfect person just sweep me off my feet already!?" boat.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Highly, highly unlikely you're aromantic, especially since there's very little credible evidence that the label even exists, except as a consensus-based reality created by a bunch of non-professionals who started using the label.

It's far more likely you're feeling the normal feelings one has after a relationship ends. For some people it can be months or even a year or more before they are really ready to enter another relationship. That's not any sort of hardwired orientation, just a normal psychological response to dealing with the loss of the prior relationship.

6. bornthiswaybby

Thank goodness. People were pushing the label onto me and I didn't quite understand. I definitely want a loving relationship so it was stressing me out thinking that I would never be able to with that label. Thank you.

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I don't think you're aromantic because you HAVE fallen for someone before. You're just kind of in the boat where the right person isn't coming along, or maybe you're not ready to date yet.

8. Tardis221B

I agree with fallingdown, it doesn't seem like you are aromantic as you've experienced romantic attraction in the past.

We all go through lulls with our attraction to people, especially if our heart is still healing from a lost love. Please don't worry, I'm sure you will experience romantic attraction again. Sometimes when you've had feelings for someone for a long time or are just getting out of a relationship you are emotionally drained, and even though you might want to feel that rush again right away, your little broken heart just can't.

:soapbox: But small side note, purely for education purposes, aromantics do exist and they still can feel love, be that platonic, familial, or something else, they simply don't experience romantic love or attraction. Which typically includes (but is not limited to and might not include) butterflies, crushes, non stop thinking about loved one, ect. . .

Anyways. Don't worry I'm sure you will find romantic love again. (*hug*) Just be patient and give your metaphorical heart time to heal. (*hug*)

#8 Tardis221B, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  9. aboutface

Two months? Really?

I'm sorry, but... really?

That's all it takes to wonder if you're hard wired to be alone forever?

Geez.

In case it wasn't clear, I am voting for impatient.:icon_wink

10. bornthiswaybby

well people were telling me that was the case so it had me thinking, I don't know.