1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why am I attracted to young men?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by SouthernGeek, Dec 3, 2014.

1. SouthernGeek

I'm 45, and I'm kind of disgusted with myself. I have an attraction for young men, especially like the 18 - 22 range. I know what you are thinking, and I agree -- it's just not right. I will say that it's not all sexual, although there is the physical attraction.

Maybe I'm just trying relive my youth or something. And I'm pretty sure it's not about having power over somebody. The last guy I made out with was larger and stronger than me, and I even had this overwhelming feeling of safety. I'm a big strong guy myself, so that's kind of a new feeling that I have never had with anyone ever. But he was 21.

We were very close, and had kind of a father/son mentoring type friendship that was going along very well. He wanted to open a bottle of wine, so we did. He told me a couple of times he wanted to "get me drunk" and he kept giving me pecks on the cheek all night.

We had good conversation, were able to talk openly about our sexuality. one thing led to another and we did things to each other. The next day we agreed that we should never do that again, because that's not where our relationship should be. I apolgized but he assured me it was the wine and he was just as responsible. But then the next day he split and said our relationship "was ruined" because of what we did, still accepting his share of responsibility.

Now he won't return texts or anything. Despite what he said, I feel like such a creep because as the older adult I should have exhibited more restraint. I had a great thing and now it's gone because we went to a level it shouldn't have. I was very content with a father/son type relationship and it was very fulfilling to me and meant very much to me. He's bi, also. We were able to talk about guys and girls, etc. He's the only person I've ever been able to be honest with about everything.

Anyway, my attraction to young guys is depressing because it can never be. I'm too old, young guys aren't going to want to be with me in "that way," and it's just a doomed attraction.

Anyway, I'm sorry, I just needed to vent. I'm been extremely depressed and I can't see myself getting out of it. I just see myself spiraling deeper in the pit.

2. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I'm currently in a relationship with someone who is 47 (about 20 years older), and I'm having the best time of my life. Just putting that out there.

I had a relationship with someone 15 years older before, and it lasted three good years.
    I don't believe the "It can never be" bollocks. I can be. It's just... more complicated, and it's very important to make sure it's a party of equals, a balanced relationship.

Don't beat yourself up over it, please. :slight_smile:

3. shinji

shinji Guest

I've been told on multiple occasions, that as a 27 year old, i should not even consider a relationship between a 18 to 22 year old (i mean, i can go higher, but... i swear to god, the older the people get, the more boring they become...geez). I chose to (in my mind) tell said people to go f**k themselves. I'm happy i did, even though, so far... i haven't found the one, i though i did...but nope.

Anyway... You know Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black? Read their story, it gives me inspiration, might do the same to you.

4. SouthernGeek

Thought I'd share a poem I just wrote:

Shipwrecked, stranded in a strange place
    People I once loved I'll never see their face
    I didn't choose this desolate locale
    I'm all alone, not a single pal

"Build a boat," you say,
    "Go back from whence you came!"
    But even if I go that way
    It will never be the same.

Those people, you see,
    who once meant so much
    Have moved on, gone forward,
    Have lives, and families, and such.

Time has taken those people
    They are enjoying their fate
    For this old man, though
    It's too little, too late.

I'll wait here alone
    Remembering from back when
    It's painful wondering
    What could have been.

5. DiogoTy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not something that you can have control over, really.
    You might feel attracted to older/younger people, even if you don't want to and this is not something to be ashamed of.
    By no means, being old is a way to lower your self esteem, you are never too old to love and as you are right that you could've been a little bit more restrained, as you thought that it could lead to confusions, specially if you don't know how the other person might react based on their maturity. We are humans beings, we are not perfect and we make mistakes, but at the same time we are thoughtful creatures and we are able to avoid making the same mistakes again. @Souther do not be depress over it, try to fix it, but if you see that he's avoiding you, do not pursue, it's not worth it. You are never too old.

6. SouthernGeek

Thanks. To confuse things further I am separated but my wife and I are planning on getting back together, and I have a wonderful 8 year old daughter.

My wife knows about me and the young man, and I came clean about other "adventures." I promised I would seek counseling to sort out my issues, but I haven't followed through yet. I'm not sure I'm strong enough to go through that right now.

I have no idea what has happened. I used to be so strong but some of the stuff that has happened over the past 3 years has damn near broken me.

7. Melanie

Melanie Guest

Richie Nickel and his boyfriend Jonas! Richie is .. I think 24 and Jonas is up there.. probably in his late 30s or early 40s.

They are THE most adorable couple known to humanity lol. Richie has a You Tube channel you have got to go watch.

To me, after 25 a 10+ year difference may not be that big a deal. I personally couldnt do it, but thats me and its certainly not to say that it cant work for others.

I too think you shouldnt be beating yourself up over it.

8. Melanie

Melanie Guest

double post sorry!

---------- Post added 3rd Dec 2014 at 07:49 PM ----------

Didnt see this till after I posted.

Well, its kinda moot then if you plan on getting back with your wife.

I hope you stick around. If you ever need support in the future there are many many amazing people here, as you have likely already noticed.

Good luck

9. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I started questioning my orientation, my confusion started with sexual thoughts that only involved older men. At the time, I thought that I older men were guys that I was attracted to, like how people are attracted to a certain group. I too thought old + young relationships felt wrong at first, but I believe there a couples out there who live just fine with that.

The only problem that noticed right form the beginning is the age gap. When the older guy is in his 70's, his younger partner might be as young as 40.

Turns out my attraction to older men was a father figure that I wanted from them. How did I know this? I've experienced with an older man near my area and didn't find it very enjoyable. I felt terrible for acting out my fantasies because, as you described, that's not where our relationship should be. While fantasizing about it was enjoyable, experiencing it was no where near my expectations. Overall, I did not enjoy it, and since then I've cut off my connection with him. On top of that, all my life, I've never had feelings for guys. You know, that feeling when you love being around them.

What I've wanted from older men was traits that, in my mind, was the definition of being man. My father doesn't act like the typical guys out there, and so I've sought a surrogate father, sexually. I realize now that I want to be like them, and this is evident when I talk to them in a casual conversation and realize that they're a father with kids, and I see myself in their position. At first I wanted to be around them to feel like I was protected, but as soon as I got in a conversation with them, I realize how awesome it would be if they were my father.

So there you have it; my life in a big body of text. Hope I didn't bore you, but if you asked me a personal opinion of what I think is going on, I personally believe that you are not attracted to guys in the dating sense.

My question to you is, what is it about young men that you are attracted to? In the beginning, you may not know right away, because you are very confused at the moment, as I was. It's great that you're seeking outside help because as soon as I did, it cleared up a lot of things.

10. SouthernGeek

Thank everyone who responded. I feel just a little bit less alone now.

Jax12, very interesting experience you have there. You know I've confided in just a couple of people, and the reaction is usually to tell me that I need acknowledge that I'm gay and move on. The problem, i tell them, is that I'm pretty sure I'm NOT gay.

For that reason, it's refreshing to come to a forum where I can talk about things like this and no one is going to try and push into one hole or another.

11. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Only you know your sexuality. Mine has been complicated over the years. You could be straight, bi, or gay. Sexuality is a spectrum.

12. JessicaWolfess

All I can really say is, don't be ashamed of it! embrace it!. It's natural to be attracted to young attractive people, and aslong as it's legal and they are consenting to it why not go for it?

13. SouthernGeek

The downside is that the attraction musty be a two-way thing. Being an old guy, most 18-22 year old guys would find me gross. And how in the world would someone my age meet young guys?

So realizing my attraction is impractical at best I went on a dating site to look at guys closer to my age. There was nothing there that made me look twice. Sure, there were handsome men, but I couldn't see anything I'd want to snuggle up next to.

But if you'd show me pictures of say 100 guys from 18-22, probably 25 would "catch my eye. "

I'm starting to think I have one of those paraphilias.

14. tman4u

tman4u Guest

To me the key thing is its legal so you should just roll with it. It is possible for two people to have shared interests and have a good time together with wide age gaps whether it is male and female, male male female female.....rare, but possible.

15. kenethtes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    anyway,i dont see anything wrong with those type of relationships.attraction not only limited to gender only.lot of factors influence it such as age,personality,sense of humour etc etc.

16. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree that there's nothing wrong with relationships like this. If two people genuinely love each other then the age gap wouldn't matter. However, for myself, getting into a relationship with someone older would provide an imbalance of power, and that I'm not actually in love with him. My reason to be with him is not because I love him, but because I want something from him and that's it. Relationships like this will not last.

17. chemicalbond

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Someone once said, "As long as he's old enough to choose the president of the country." :slight_smile:

But I honestly feel the same way. Being 43, I fear for the time when I would reach 50+ and start ogling guys in their 20s. But my first boyfriend was 14 years older than I was, and I've met couples with large age gaps, so there really shouldn't be a problem. But it still "feels weird."

When it comes to an actual relationship, my fundamental rule is the feeling of stability. Even if a guy is young, I theoretically can sustain a relationship with him as long as I feel a sense of stability. If I don't feel a sense of stability, then a relationship isn't going to happen.

18. badluckfairy

People like who they like.

I am 27 years old and bi. When it comes to guys, generally I like younger to my age. When it comes to women, generally I like my age and a bit older.

It is not a set rule though, as I recently went on a date with a guy ten years older than me. If I connect with someone it doesn't matter to me whether they are 18 or 40.

I look for people who have similar interests which isn't easy whatever age you are.

My paternal grandparents were almost 21 years apart in age. So age gaps aren't not unfamiliar to me.

Try not to beat yourself up over it.

19. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just because public figures have age gap relationships doesn't make them healthy. George Burns at 100 had a girlfriend who was 22 or something. Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley... that's very unlikely to be healthy.

And it's also important to understand the dynamics here. Once the younger person hits somewhere between 27 and 30, the age gap starts to matter less. If it's intergenerational, then there are other issues, but in general, it is quite possible to have a healthy relationship between someone in his/her late 20s and someone in his/her 30s or 40s.

Not so when the younger person is much younger than 27. Why? because by 27, many people have got a good start on career and life stability issues, they've been on their own for a while, they have had time to negotiate many of life's hurdles and issues, and a chance to develop independence.

The experience base of those who work with and study these populations is pretty sound and simple developmental theory supports the idea that it's just really, really difficult to have healthy relationships when there are significant age gaps and a lack of life experience on the part of the younger person. Are there exceptions? Yes. But most of the exceptions actually aren't healthy, they are just sort of functional in a dysfunctional way and not particularly healthy for either party.

Now... on to the OP's concerns: It seems that a lot of the time, this sort of attraction happens to men who are recently out of the closet. It appears to be a way of reclaiming a youth and experience that they did not have when they were that age. There's also a pretty strong experience base that *if* these men work on the issue, process the feelings, and get into a healthier mental space, their attraction toward men of their own age starts to emerge, and the attraction for younger men significantly decreases. Unfortunately, a lot of men never do the self-work, so they spend sometimes years of their life chasing after guys who either aren't interested, or if they are, have a lot of issues and are basically really broken people. Neither is a recipe for a healthy relationship or good self-esteem.

There was another thread on this recently where I and several others went into a fair amount of detail about the issue. You might find that thread useful.

I do think this is something that can easily be shaming, and it shouldn't be. We feel what we feel because of experiences we've had or (in the case of sexual orientation) hardwiring. The key is understanding and having self-compassion for who we are and the experiences we've had, and working to make ourselves the people we want to be.

And one of the biggest antidotes to shame is... sharing your shameful feelings and getting support and understanding and empathy in return. So I'd encourage you to continue talking about it, as that's a huge step forward in working it through.

20. OOC73

You are attracted to "adults". Not kids.

I was pondering this exact thing the other day because I am 41 and I have a massive fan girl crush on Taylor Swift. My extremely supportive DH pointed out that even when you physically age, the contents of your head do not so much - indeed my Mother-in-Law often speaks about feeling mentally in her early 20s and then being horrified when she catches sight of this elderly lady in the mirror.

Age becomes less of an issue once you become an adult - you can still see and appreciate an attractive person no matter whether they be 10 years younger or 30 years older.

As long as the person you fancy is of an age to consent, can emotionally keep up and relate to you and vice versa, provides you with mental stimulation and vice versa and fancies you too - I really don't think its a big deal.

So don't beat yourself up. There's no shame in your feelings.