1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm pretty sure I am lesbian but my parents seem to think it's a phase?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by HannahC, Dec 7, 2014.

1. HannahC

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm almost 15 and I think I might be lesbian.
    In year 5-7 (about grade 4-5, so about 9-11 years old) I was always the girl with a 'boyfriend', even though it consisted of hugging and holding hands, nothing else. :lol: I never felt anything towards them, it was just the thing to do. When I was about 9-11 ish, I had a best friend who I was extremely protective over, I love cuddling her at sleepovers, I got jealous of anyone being close to her and I always wanted to be with her and I found her beautiful. Also, I used to get so upset over being away from her in case she found someone else etc. But I found it normal and just being a best friend but now I realise it was my first girl crush since I still have a huge soft spot for her. I had a same-sex experience when I was about 11, with a girl from my football team as I kissed her and I liked it, a lot more than even holding hands with a boy. When I was about 12, I noticed that I kept looking at girls a lot and i found myself looking at them differently to how I looked at boys. I think I was questioning at that point.

So at 12 years old, I tried to push it aside in many ways but it always stayed there. Eventually, I couldn't hide it from my parents so I told my mum in a flood of tears I thought I was gay, and she told me that it's a phase because she hasn't noticed any signs that I'm gay (a bit stereotypical). I developed a crush on a girl that lasted for quite a few months, but it never happened and even now, I get a fuzzy feeling when I see her. I've had a few female crushes now, as well as being 'obsessed' with female celebs but Half a year ago, I came out because I got involved with a girl (who I'm still involved with) and I'm unbelievably happy with her. I'm out as bisexual since it's easier than immediately Coming out as gay, but I feel like it's a lie as my interest in boys is very little. But now, it's been almost 3 years since I first started to realsie and I've lost basically all my interest towards boys. I still know when I boy is attractive and I still think he is attractive, but I don't want to get with them and I don't have any interest in sexual or emotional relationships. I am sexually attracted to women and I am emotionally attracted to them, but with anyone I don't want sleep with them or be with them until I have an emotional bond with them. There's only one guy that I can think of that I've ever really liked, but now I have no interest in him and I can't stand the thought of being with a guy, although I'm not a 'man hater'.

My parents seem to be slowly realising that it isn't a phase but they still say 'when you bring your boyfriends on holiday with you' etc, although they know I have a girlfriend.
    I'm 99% certain that I'm a complete lesbian, but my parents are in denial in many ways.
    Do you think I'm gay?
    How can I make my parents understand that it isn't a phase?

2. SquirrelGirl

I would give it time. Lots of people take a LONG time to accept the fact they're not straight so why would it be any different for the people around them. Your parents don't know what you've been feeling (maybe don't want to know because they are personal feelings) so they have less evidence in their minds that you're gay. This makes it harder (not impossible) for them to accept it. You're young, eventually they'll get used to the idea. I do think you're a lesbian because you seem to want to be with girls.

3. mapleluv

Well considering that you have romantic & sexual feeling only towards other girls, you probably are. But sexuality can be fluid, even more so during adolescence, so sometimes trying to put a label on things just makes everything even more confusing.

Sorry, but you can't. People will believe whatever they want to believe & that includes your parents. With more time, they will probably come to terms with your sexuality & accept it for what it is, considering that they don't seem terribly homophobic or anything.

But let's face it, very few new parents look down at their precious new baby girl & think, "Gee, I hope she's a lesbian!". They dream about our prom dates (with a boy), our wedding (with a guy), us having a child of our own (with a man).... And not only that, but your parents undoubtedly realize what a struggle it can still be to be gay in today's society. And so when their precious not-so-baby-now girl tells them that they are actually gay, they would really prefer that she rather wasn't.

Time, patience, & love- that's really the only advice I can give.

4. Lipstick Leuger

Many times, parents don't want to influence their children one way or the other so they go with the 'factory setting' which is 'my child is straight'. So, cut them some slack. If they bring up boys again just tell them, "I know you wanted me to be straight, but I'm not, I'm a lesbian, and it weirds me out you mention guys all the time" Other than correcting them gently, you just need to give it time. Sorry, wish I could say more but that is pretty much the bottom line