1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight attractions "just a phase?"

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by piano71, Dec 11, 2014.

1. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was thinking about something recently. Though I now consider myself 100% gay, I remember than when puberty hit for me around age 13 (fall of my 7th-grade year), I was attracted to both girls and guys. But about 8-9 months later (first week of June) I was only attracted to guys, enough that I walked about 5 miles by myself, trying to convince myself "not to think about guys anymore" lest I "turn out gay." Of course, you see what happened there... :slight_smile: My attempt to "not be gay" lasted only about two weeks before I started fantasizing about guys again ... and after that, ONLY GUYS would turn me on.

I just wonder, why did the bi/hetero thoughts I had just die off in the space of 9 months? What changed in me during that time that I became 100% gay?

It's like what they tell straight youth, that gay feelings are "just a phase" and you'll get over it. But for me, straight attractions were "just a phase" and I wound up completely gay...

2. bornthiswaybby

Lmao, the exact same thing happened to me. I was attracted to women at one point, but now not at all. It confuses me so much.

3. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I think that if a person is gay over their whole life span apart from, say, a tiny bit when they were a young teenager, this can probably be classed as a 'phase', probably (in my opinion) caused by the sudden confusion/hormones of puberty. Although I prefer to think of it as sexuality 'settling down' rather than being a 'phase'. Puberty certainly is a weird time. That said, time may show that it was indicative of a degree of bisexuality. But it could equally have been a 'phase' what with hormones and the beginning of puberty distorting things etc - and things are clearer now because things are settling down. Who knows really! What's important is that you feel happy in yourself and feel supported by those around you.

4. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is really interesting to me because I keep remembering my first real crush, which was on a guy when I was 13, and thinking it means I must be straight. Now, in my particular case I really doubt I am gay because I went on to have relationships with men and so on, and it was only the sexual part that didn't seem to work out. But I'm still interested to hear that a person can have these feelings and it doesn't determine their orientation.

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's never a phase hun , gay isn't a phase , bi isn't a phase and straight isn't a phase .
    Maybe you're just bi and realizing it .:confused:
    And if it happens to be one chick or one dude we call that a one exception to the rule .