1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why didn't I come out in college?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by womaninamber, Dec 30, 2014.

1. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't understand why I didn't come out in college. I hung around in the Lesbian and Gay Alliance as an ally, and I thought I might not be straight, but it was more of a vague thought. But if I had come out most of my straight friends would have accepted it and even my parents would have.

So it seems like maybe I am straight, since back in college I had a great opportunity to explore these feelings and I didn't take it, just kept dating men and backed out of the only chance I had with a woman. Of course I was afraid of homophobia, and afraid of sex in general, so I guess that didn't help, but if I do have anything to come out about surely I'd have done so in college? Maybe I'm just straight and confused and realized that then but not so much now?

(I know why I didn't do it after college, I became religious and had screwed-up thinking.)

I know it seems strange that I don't remember my feelings in college better but it was twenty years ago. I'd blame drugs but I was afraid of that too.

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

even if you were in the alliance back then, things were a lot different in society than they are now. it's still tough, but there was really an expectation when you were in college of what your life would be. My one bit of advice is that you not regret the past. That is a trap, and I myself have had to very consciously avoid that (notice my age). Instead, we can celebrate that we are finally figuring it out. And look forward to a future that still holds wonderful things in store for us. Glad you're here!!! (&&&)

3. Sepulse

Sepulse Guest

Maybe because you were questioning. I'm not coming out right now because I constantly doubt my sexuality.

4. nonie

I have not come out the closest yet.
    I am aware that I am transgender. I have never felt completely confident coming out but now that I am getting older, I am hoping I get the courage to do so.

5. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sepulse, yeah, that's really most of it. I still feel like that and it's frustrating.

nonie good luck to you. My child is trans and I know it's really difficult. I wish you happiness and safety.

Believe it or not I try not to dwell on the past too much. I mean I'm still glad I married my husband and had my kid even if there is some of that time I'm not at all proud of for various reasons. (Mostly reasons unrelated to my orientation though.) So it's not so much that I'm looking wistfully at a future I could have had if I came out in college (who knows, things still could have gone much worse in any number of ways) as I'm trying to figure out why I'm still confused about this nearly thirty years down the line. I guess I just wish the confusion would stop.

6. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You may also be afraid of being wrong. Back then if you tried to be with girls and it didn't pan out you'd be wrong of thinking you might not be straight. Now if you accept you've been gay or bi all this time you'll need to accept you were wrong thinking you were straight.

7. Sepulse

Sepulse Guest

That's the reason I'm scared of coming out. I'm scared I'll come out as gay and actually be bi or straight. When I was younger I came out as bi, but that didn't go the way I hoped. I hoped that people would accept that I'm not straight. It didn't work out like that at all. Before I was out no one cared that I wasn't talking about boys, after I came out I noticed that people talked about boys more with me. They probably just thought I was a straight girl who wants to attract more guys.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    College may not be the time to come out for a lot of people. They could be too young and immature, they could be questioning, the college doesn't have the right vibe for it, one might be busy studying for the next step (whatever that is), and other reasons. For most people, I would say the best time to embrace their sexuality, whatever it might be, is after they've prepared for what they are going to do and are fairly self-reliant. My two cents.

9. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tightrope it's interesting that you say that because I feel that these feelings or thoughts that I'm not straight and should do something about it get stronger when I'm in a good place and feeling relatively good about myself (which didn't happen often until lately.) And right now I'm self-reliant for basically the first time in my life.

But I am definitely afraid of being wrong. I'm not so much afraid of being wrong that I was straight, because I always suspected I wasn't straight and anyway that's in the past, but I'm afraid of being wrong now. I guess part of it is that I don't feel I'll know for sure unless I have a relationship with a woman, but on the other hand I can't really seek a relationship without knowing where I'm at first. (Maybe a hookup, and sometimes that's tempting, but I'm a little too old for that kind of thing anyway...) But since I'm not going to become magically certain at this point, I guess I'm going to have to take some chances.

10. Jaymmm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree with you that the most annoying thing about questioning is that you can´t come out until you´re sure- and even worse how u can find it out when you aren´t out- its vicious circle...:bang:

---------- Post added 2nd Jan 2015 at 02:07 PM ----------

i like "magically certain", i hope that this moment will come in my case too:slight_smile:

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate to what you're saying in some ways. You are analyzing all the different angles of your sexuality and of the implications of breaking the news to people. There are also different levels of experimentation and being out. A person can be selective as to who knows about it, either because that's a good logical place to start, a place one needs to be to preserve a job, or a comfortable stepping stone. It can morph from there. I just read your post, btw.

Also, coming out means different things to different people - from playing the NSA field in a big way to finding someone and making a life changing commitment. Don't expect the former to happen if that sort of thing makes you uncomfortable. Don't expect the latter to happen and fall into place right away. That could cause disappointment, especially if one is overly zealous. It tends to happen when you're not looking. I also think the genders go through this process somewhat differently and could be looking for slightly different things.

From your various posts, I detect some level of angst and/or stress. I'm just saying. I'm not judging it in any way, shape, or form. Heck, it's VERY normal when dealing with feelings that are on a collision course.

I would just say to take it real slow and take small steps, at whatever rate YOU are comfortable taking. You set the schedule. It's your life.

12. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As far as coming out to people in general, I'm in a really good position. My friends, who are all online, would accept it. There's legal protection here for being fired due to orientation. (I wouldn't count on that necessarily, as people can and will find ways around that and sometimes in the end the legal protection doesn't help, but as far as I can tell neither my boss nor his boss are homophobic.)

It's more that I don't want to come out and then say "Oh, haha, not really, false alarm, just go back to whatever you were doing..." Which I kind of silly, because if I came out as bi I wouldn't be eliminating any possibilities, and anyway people probably don't care that much what I identify as.

(I'm not saying I should or will go around telling everyone, especially not right now, but overall I'm in a good position.)

I'm loaded with angst and stress. I'm kind of always loaded with angst and stress actually.

I'm not necessarily looking for a life-changing commitment now, though I am really not the NSA type for better or for worse. (Though right now I feel like if I had a good chance I'd just take it, frankly.) But yeah, I totally understand what you mean about that happening when you're not looking for it. It's more that I'm upset that I can't see a relationship happening for me ever, than just that I'm not in one right now.

And I'm sorry if I'm posting too much. I didn't mean to do that. I don't want people thinking I'm demanding attention. Being in online forums can be hard for me because I'm not sure sometimes when people are still reading something I already posted and whether I can change the subject.

I really appreciate your help and advice though. It's good being here where other people are going through the same kind of thing.

13. Asterac22

I was like this as well there was a guy that i was interested in and he was interested in me for about 3 years i did nothing because i was still questioning myself and wasn't confident enough to come out, when i finally found the courage to come out he was in a relationship =/, but i don't feel regret at all...because i wasn't ready back then its a shame but you just have to take it as it comes, if you was a ally of the alliance you could always make contact with them again or try to volunteer within it is that's still possible that might help in someway

14. TheStormInside

It's funny, I first questioned my sexuality in college too, and did not come out. But there were specific circumstances that kind of scared me into staying in the closet at the time. What boggles my mind is how in the intervening years I managed to stuff all of that down.

I think there is something to this feeling safe and secure allowing you to question your sexuality. I've had the same discussion with my therapist, wondering why it's taken me so long to get here, and she said to view it as "A sign of strength." I wasn't ready to handle confronting my sexuality before, so I didn't, but now that I'm in a better place in my life physically and mentally, I felt more ready. For me I also think it arose out of a certain dissatisfaction. I've been alone (relationship wise) for most of my life, and for a long time that didn't bother me. But as I've been getting older that clock has started to tick, and it's lead me to some very deep self-examinations which brought all of this up.

As for your fears of being wrong, that's something I've grappled with, too. I've not been with a woman and so still have my doubts. But over time I've felt more confident that I want to be with a woman, not a man. And how I've come out thus far has also been just honest about my thoughts- I think I'm probably gay, but I'm not absolutely certain. Would your friends be open to that kind of message?

15. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I only have a few friends and they're all online and very understanding people, and actually already know I'm struggling with this. My main fear about being wrong... well, I wouldn't want to get into a relationship with someone and realize I didn't want to be with a woman that way and end up hurting them. And I don't want to look stupid. Which is a weird thing to say because it's not like people are going to say I'm stupid if I come out and then end up with a man or whatever, I wouldn't be the first. But yeah, somehow the idea that I'm wrong really haunts me.

I think part of it is that I think of being gay as a good thing. I don't mean that homophobia and society's attitudes don't scare me, but I think of being gay in and of itself as good, and I have a really horrible time allowing myself anything good.

Also if I'm anything I'm presumably bi and I'm having a hard time dealing with that idea. I mean I feel like I've also been "stuffing things down" but I was with a man I loved so why would it matter whether I liked women too? I'm not saying that's why we divorced because it isn't, but it was part of what made me feel bad in the marriage.

I can totally understand what you're saying about being alone and in fact was talking about that in another thread. I was in an on-and-off online relationship with a man for quite a while, but other than that I haven't had any kind of relationship since the divorce which was over ten years ago. And though I try not to be constantly searching for a partner, the idea of being alone for the rest of my life scares the hell out of me.

I'm glad you've been able to make progress. I think there are reasons that I didn't come out in college, including simple confusion. But at heart I think some of it is that I'm afraid of being bisexual.

Thank you so much for your comments and support. It's really helpful being here.

16. TheStormInside

So it sounds like, then, you're already out as questioning to your friends? Something that helped me is expressing to a friend that I was worried I might come out, and then later realize I was wrong all along. She assured me that no one was going to be upset with me if I come out as gay, but then end up with a guy. Basically, exactly what you are saying yourself.

If you are worried about hurting someone, well, that's a bit more complicated. How long have you been questioning for? Do you think you might be able to find a bit more clarity in the near future? If so, it might be best to wait on seeking out relationships until you're more certain. If not, then maybe what others have suggested, looking for hookups, or even just dating without major commitments might help you get a feel for how you connect with (or don't connect with) women.

Another thing I'd like to add- people break up for all kinds of reasons. Sometimes you just don't click with a person. If you're finding you don't click with a woman, whether it's due to her personality, or because you realize you don't like women, or you disagree on some major issue, does it matter that much in the end which it was?

So, to you being gay is good... is being straight good, too? And what is it that is so scary about being bisexual, to you?

17. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I'm out to my friends as questioning and in fact they may be a tad sick of hearing about it at this point, which is why I'm glad I found this forum where people can only read when they feel like it.

I even had a few coffee dates with women, but I would sit there scared thinking that I wasn't attracted to them and I had done the wrong thing.

I also went to several groups at the Gay and Lesbian center but the last time I got really scared and told myself I had HOCD (which I don't) and was straight and I needed to just remember that and not embarrass myself going there again. Yet here I am again questioning myself.

Unfortunately I really don't think I'm going to get much clarity in the near future if I hadn't gotten it yet. I don't think I'm the hookup type but I'm fine with dating without major commitments if it's something I can do.

I see what you mean about breakups... I don't know if it would matter to me what the reason was but what if it mattered to her?

Being straight is good but me being straight isn't good because I've been questioning for so long and if it turns out it was for no reason I'm just going to feel horrible. Also I wouldn't get to go out with women. (Yeah, I know, saying something like that seems to solve the whole problem but there's still the voice in my head telling me I'm straight and I don't really want that.)

I think I've internalized a lot of the biphobia I've seen around, that bisexuals just can't make up their minds and no one wants to date them etc. Also, and I just kind of figured that out in another thread, I used to be in a religion which disapproved very strongly of homosexuality. Though some people in the religion said that being gay was OK because people can't help being gay but being bisexual is not OK because you have a choice and could choose the opposite sex. Don't get me wrong, I actually think that's really mean and stupid but there's a part of me that believes it. Religious guilt is such a huge thing with me that I don't always even think about it consciously. I feel guilt over the whole idea but even more guilt about bisexuality.

18. TheStormInside

Haha, I know what you mean. I have a tendency to obsess, too.

Have you considered seeing an LGBT friendly therapist? Maybe they could help you talk some of this stuff out and suss out your feelings in a safe space. I've been in therapy for awhile and lucky for me, my therapist also happens to be gay, so she's been really helpful for me through this process.

I see what you mean, I suppose yes it may matter to the woman that you end up deciding you aren't attracted to women, that is a good point. Maybe if you do decide to try dating you can be open about the fact that you are questioning?

It sounds like you have some pretty deep religious programming you need to work through, and I think you're absolutely right that you have this internalized biphobia you need to get past.

For awhile I thought I may be bi, and I had a hard time accepting that idea because like you said, it feels like a bisexual person can choose to just be with someone of the opposite sex. But what made me feel ok about the possibility of being bi is accepting that it's not the case at all, all being bi means is that you fall for who you fall for regardless of gender, and there's no controlling that anymore than a straight person can control that they fall for the opposite sex, or a gay person can control falling for the same sex. A bisexual person just has more of a gender spectrum to work with.

19. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I'm definitely going to tell people that I know I want to date women but I've never been in an actual relationship with a woman. Which is true, and will probably scare everybody off, but I'm not going to fake being something I'm not.

It's a little tough for me because I don't even interact much with people outside of work, and even at work sometimes I don't. So my only way to get dates is online. At least it's easier to be up front about things online.

I thought of going back to the Gay and Lesbian Center but I feel like crying just thinking about it so clearly I have issues I need to deal with.

I agree that I definitely have internalized biphobia, and actually homophobia too -- I feel like it's less sinful for me to be single if my other choice is dating women. But my former religious beliefs are a really long story and haunt me in a lot of other ways too.

It's just really, really frustrating that I'm 47 and I've been divorced for ten years and I still haven't figured it out! It's ridiculous. I know I should really just say I'm straight and deal with it that way, but for some reason I don't want to do that either.

I'm sorry if anything I've said sounds offensive. I'm just talking about the messages that get into my head, not about what I really consciously believe.

20. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think deep down you know that if you were indeed completely straight like you've been trying to convince yourself that the voice in your head telling you otherwise would've died off years ago.

And don't take me wrong but there's something in your story that reminded me of some people with illness. They have some problem, go to the doctors, seem to want to get rid off it, but on the other hand they somewhat like having the health issue. They like talking about it, like all the attention it's been bringing them... the illness is like having a walking stick. Without it they'd need to start dealing with some really important stuff they don't want to/are afraid to face, and the illness is their logical excuse for not dealing with it.

Btw I think it's fine to say for now that you know you want to date women but you've never been in an actual relationship with a woman. I did the exact same thing when starting to talk to a lesbian woman online and she didn't seem to mind at all. So don't worry, there are many queer women out there who will understand. :icon_bigg