1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am i gay?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Autumnflowers20, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Autumnflowers20

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'll be honest when everything started i wasn't sure if i was gay or simply something else
    but women have been increasingly getting more cute every time i think about it, or see a photo or come across a women. More and more i feel myself reaching out wanting to be the "Protector, lover, Safe haven" for her i want to be her everything and anything,
    i want to make her smile and laugh. I always find myself falling in love with women
    i always have a image planned out for the women i never have that for the men but i can't say i wouldn't offer to love a guy, just maybe not love him sexually the same my friend said once, sounds like you just like men as close friends. It makes me question more and more as the days pass and my feelings grow the longer i have nobody. Am i gay?

2. Aldrick

Well let's take a look at what you've just told us. You find women sexually and romantically attractive, you want to do typical romantic behaviors with women, and you find yourself falling in love with women. When you close your eyes and imagine your future romantic partner, it is always a woman, and never a man. Your feelings toward men are not sexual, though you can have a very close friendship with a man.

Is anything written in there incorrect, and if not, how do you feel about it?

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with what the above poster has written.

4. DelvSeigible

Hm so we can restate w/o quoting, alrighty. Same as above except that you need time to explore your sexuality. You yourself need to be confidant in enough so that you can say you are lesbian person, and you need to be mentally ready for such a gender definition change. Have fun exploring.
    Best of wishes,
    E

#4 DelvSeigible, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  5. Autumnflowers20

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    yes but no correction though my friends tell me it seems i have close friends ships with men that was a spelling mistake i didn't see. And i don't know if i agree with that part because i would date a male i just don't know how far i'd take it and i don't believe i could feel 100% the same.

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2015 at 06:29 AM ----------

I don't find my self in need to explore
    I don't feel like i'd want to explore for a sexual reason i don't really have high attraction for anyone unless i'm close to them so i wouldn't want to jump into something so huge so quick.

6. Aldrick

Do you think gays and lesbians lack the ability to form close friendships, even intimate friendships, with people of the opposite gender? I personally have never struggled to do so, and frequently find myself getting along wonderfully with women. (In most cases, I get along better with women than a group full of straight men.) The bulk of my really good friendships have been with women.

Yet, despite this fact, I have no real desire to have a romantic or sexual relationship with a woman. That just does not exist for me. A woman can (and has) attempt to come onto me sexually, and it will do nothing for me--I will almost by gut instinct push them away. A guy I find attractive does the same thing? He gets the opposite reaction.

When it comes to my romantic feelings, they only exist toward men. I do not have romantic feelings toward women. I have never had a "crush" on a female. Certainly, there have been females in my life that I have cared for extremely deeply, but it was always a platonic love--like the love you might have for someone in your family, a relationship like that of a sister you are really close too or an intimately close best friend.

Does any of the above resonate with you? Not everyone's experience is identical, but that is mine.

You are telling us that you "would" date a male you just don't know "how far you would take it" and that it would not "feel the same". Do you feel the need or pressure to date a male? Would you be happier dating females? If you think you would be happier in a relationship with a female, then what is stopping you from pursuing such a relationship?

7. Autumnflowers20

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have no problems with friendships i'm thinking you're misunderstanding that part
    I'm not sure hot to fix that for you without re writing this however moving on.
    I don't feel pressured either, i just want to figure out if i'm gay simple as that
    gay as in lesbian sense i'm female. Yea i'd be happier with a women but i don't see whats wrong with wanting to date a guy i'm just not sexually into men as much and i question if there is a reason behind it.

8. Aldrick

I know that you do not have a problem with friendship. I apologize for the confusion. I was just trying to draw the distinction between close friendship feelings and romantic feelings, using myself as an example. I am a gay male. I can feel really close to a female, emotionally. That is not an issue for me. I just lack the ability to feel romantically or sexually attracted to women. I do, however, feel romantically and sexually attracted to men. Therefore, I identify as gay.

I draw this distinction because I think trying to separate out friendship feelings from romantic feelings is important. Some people who are struggling with their sexual orientation can confuse the two, and in some cases people can even convince themselves that they feel romantically attracted to someone when they really only have strong friendship feelings toward them.

Does that make sense?

No one can tell you whether or not you are a lesbian, bisexual, or whatever. That just is not possible, and anyone who tries is doing you a disservice because they might be wrong. All people can really do for you is share their experiences with you, and answer specific questions that you have.

If you want specific advice on what to do with your feelings, my suggestion is to be open minded. If you find a woman and are really attracted to her, and there is a possibility for a relationship--take it. Labels are less important than you seeking out someone that you can be happy with, and by your own words you would be happier with a woman.