1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reaction Formation

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Crunchy, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Crunchy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    D'you think when people are doing the reaction formation thing e.g. homophobia, flirting excessively with the opposite sex to prove their straight etc.

they are primarily trying to convince other people or themselves?

2. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe? Some homophobic people are homosexual and are trying to prove themselves that they're not into the same sex. There's also the possibility that they are just confused with the fact that the other person likes the same sex only since they're straight and believe that everyone else should be straight too.

There might be other reasons for this behavior though.

3. Crunchy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sorry, I didn't make my question very clear! Assuming they are gay, when they are in this stage is it primarily about convincing other people OR themselves?

4. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The other people, I guess? A gay person might still be in denial over their sexuality, but they are far more worried of the way the people around them might react. There are some homosexual people that knows that they're gay, but try to make other people believe that they're straight to protect themselves.

5. finding

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So, I've been wondering about this regarding my own behavior. Though I don't even know if I am a repressed homosexual...

I've started 'hooking up' with a few guys for the first time in my life: among my friend group we share stories via text and we all do it, it's like a fun bonding thing to do after a night out - I also tell my best (gay male) friend and we bond over it.

Only once or twice have I done it and not told anybody.

So if I am 'repressed' - I think it's entirely possible that I'm doing both - but with me it's maybe an emphasis on convincing others.

If other people are convinced, then I can be much more comfortable with my identity... They feed into eachother

6. finding

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So, I've been wondering about this regarding my own behavior. Though I don't even know if I am a repressed homosexual...

I've started 'hooking up' with a few guys for the first time in my life: among my friend group we share stories via text and we all do it, it's like a fun bonding thing to do after a night out - I also tell my best (gay male) friend and we bond over it.

Only once or twice have I done it and not told anybody.

So if I am 'repressed' - I think it's entirely possible that I'm doing both - but with me it's maybe an emphasis on convincing others.

If other people are convinced, then I can be much more comfortable with my identity... They feed into eachother