1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queerplatonic vs. Queerromantic

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by omnisexual, Jan 9, 2015.

1. omnisexual

So I didn't know whether or not I actually had a crush on my best friend or if it was just a squish (platonic crush). I did know right from the start that either way, I didn't want a romantic relationship with her. I just really really want her as my queerplatonic partner. The thing is, 10 years ago, I shared the same feelings (sort of) for a childhood friend. So today, I finally made a list comparing and contrasting my feelings for both. It helped me come to a conclusion about how I really felt about them.

With both, I am/was:
    o Completely devoted
    o Talk(ed) about them a lot to others
    o Think/thought about them a lot
    o Basically obsessed with both
    o Think that the friendship aspect of us is/was THE MOST IMPORTANT THING, above anything sexual or romantic we might have shared.
    o In terms of sexual/romantic passion/commitment, neither is/was above (or even close) to how I felt for my past lovers.
    o I would be very, very happy for them if they found boyfriends (so no jealousy/romantic possessiveness).
    o I want(ed) to live together forever with both.
    o My feelings are/was very platonically passionate and didn't feel like a crush-type passionate.
    o Both are VERY important to me.
    o Both are/was among top priorities in my life.

Now for the differences:

Childhood friend:
    o Sexually: We had lots of casual sex, but we never felt a sexual attraction. It was basically like we were using each other as giant sex toys-- no sexual/romantic attraction to the toy but still enjoying the bodily sensations.

o Romantically: I'm a very non-touchy person, so I never craved physical/intimate touch with her outside of sex (even sex didn't seem intimate). I never lay in bed at night wishing we could cuddle, or just got the sudden urge to hug her, etc.

o Nothing with her ever felt/seemed romantic at all.

Best friend:
    o Sexually: I think I do feel a sort of sexual attraction that I just successfully repress (I feel guilty having sexual thoughts about people with whom I know wouldn't appreciate it.)

o Romantically: I always want to snuggle and get very physically close/intimate with her & I think about it a lot.

o Some things we do does feel a little/a lot romantic to me.

Results:
    I realized that how I felt for my childhood best friend was queerplatonic & purely a squish. With my best friend, I want a romantic friendship & also a queerplatonic relationship.

I feel like there should be a word called queerromantic. Because queerplatonic generally describes a purely platonic relationship that is "queer" or out of the ordinary of what society would deem appropriate for platonic relationships, but how I feel about my best friend is the opposite of that, yet still basically the same. It's romantic, but it's a type of romantic that society isn't used to when it comes to romantic relationships, because it's a committed life partnership that is mostly friendship, but romantic... but not romantic at the same time. :eusa_doh: I've been told that if there are romantic feelings involved in a QP relationship, it wouldn't be a QP because that would defeat the purpose of the "platonic" part of a QP. But how I feel about my best friend is literally what people think of when they think about a QP, just tinged with romance at the edges. Having my feelings be called queerromantic would really fit quite well with how I feel about her. I wonder how many others have experienced this?