1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lesbian/bi??maybe?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by whattodoii, Jan 11, 2015.

1. whattodoii

in the back of my closet, with one friend :)
    So, I think I might be... ugh... not straight/lesbian/bi??? I'll give you some background info...
    I'm 15, a girl and I (think I) have a crush on my friend, who is a girl... I've known her for about 4 years, and because of school, classes switch every year, and last school year, I was in class with her. I knew her, because I have a group of friends, we are with 8 in total, so I knew her, but not really, you know? But all our classes were the same. I started to really like her, you know, as a friend and we became pretty close. We both bike to school, and I occasionally bike with her, just because it's so much fun and we're talking. But when I bike with her, I bike waaay further than I have to, which means I have to bike 15/20 minutes back to my home... *this maybe should've alarmed me*
    But this year, we still have the same classes, which means I'm around her all the time. We both love Youtube, watching movies, talking in general and we have the same music taste. Just a few weeks ago (like 7 weeks ago, maybe earlier) I realized I might like her as more than a friend. Because we both have a few hours, to wait for our next lesson, and we like the same music, we listen music together, but I know she always sits close to people, but then she sat like really close to me, her leg and shoulder completely resting against me, and I couldn't concentrate, and I felt warm and fluttery. I was looking forward to those hours with her, and I kind of realized I might have a crush on her... But recently I found myself feeling kind of jealous when she was talking to another girl and it was just so weird And I caught myself (day)dreaming about her This made me actually really think, and now I realize I've kind of had little mini crushes on female friends...? And I've always noticed how girls looked, also when I was younger (like 10?) but I also like boys, and I'm confused... But this thin line between wanting to be like someone and liking someone is difficult. I'm pretty sure the friend whom I have a crush on is straight, but I do know she hasn't had an actual boyfriend, but most of my friends haven't... plus that means nothing, right? we're 15/16... Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh, I would really like to say something to someone, but I just don't want to tell my parents, because they're just suspicions, and I'm not sure, and the friend whom I have a crush on is my closest friend my other friends are great, but I just don't know, and I've been thinking about this for such a short time, plus I think I don't want to tell 'the crush' I have a crush on her, so I wouldn't want to say something to another friend, because they're really close with her aswell, so I'm unsure what to do...

2. Leliana

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello there!

Im sure you've heard this before but take your time. You do not need to find a label right away. But in the mean time you can ask yourself these questions:

Do you feel emotionally and physically attracted to women?
    How about men?
    Can you see yourself having a relationship with both genders or only one?

To me it sounds like you are bisexual since you are attracted to your female friend and you still like boys.

As I said before, there is no rush! Labels can be tricky sometimes so don't stress over them too much ^^

3. whattodoii

I do feel physically and emotionally attracted to women, and men... I don't know, I've always thought that I just didn't like the guys around me, because the cute ones aren't at my school, you know? But on the other hand, I can see myself having a relationship with both genders... I also want to know what you think what I should do? @leliana

4. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You just described my experience with my sexuality there and, as you can see, I'm pretty confused too. lol

Unfortunately, I'm not so sure about what you should do about it. You might come out to someone, but you must make sure they don't react badly and they're people you trust.

5. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is exactly how I felt when I was questioning. To me, it sounds like you're bi/pansexual. (Possibly bi/pan-demisexual) If you still feel attraction to guys, as well as girls, that's what it seems like, however, only you can decide what your orientation is.

As for your friend, it's a pretty awkward situation. Maybe you could try dropping some questions about LGBT people in conversation to see how she reacts, but other than that, I'm not really sure what to tell you.

Good luck with everything :slight_smile:

6. whattodoii

@nightdream, but how did/do you deal with it? @ForNarnia thanks and how do you think I might drop something like that in a conversation?

7. ANewDawn

I felt similarly before I realized I was gay. I thought I was just a super jealous friend because I couldn't stop looking at pretty girls and always was bothered when I saw them talking to other girls. Now I know better. I can also remember multiple boy crushes when I was younger who I never spoke to, preferring to spend all my time with my best friend. In high school I had two major girls crushes and thot I hated them because I was always so uncomfortable when they were around. I've never told any of these girls how I felt because I ddnt understand, but maybe what you cud try doing is telling her you think you might have a crush on a girl and see how she responds. If she's cool, ask her if she's ever felt the same way - she may surprise you :grin:

8. lyjo

That's an annoying situation. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: You'll figure out your sexuality one day, even though it's horrible to be confused, there's no point on "labelling" yourself until you're sure. it took me two years to fully accept and understand myself. just give yourself some time. :slight_smile: and for your friend, a lot of us have been in the same kind of thing. Personally, I had a crush on a good friend and she would play footsie, hug and just act really flirty in general, but she's straight. I actually told her that I'm a lesbian and she told me she has a crush on one of my (guy) friends. So yeah... if she's really a close friend, telling her about the fact that you're confused shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully she'll be cool about it and you'll be able to discuss it together. And like ANewDawn said, who knows, maybe you'll be surprised by what she has to say. :slight_smile:

9. whattodoii

@lyjo wow, that is pretty frustrating to have a friend who does something like that, because you question everything... But @lyjo and @ANewDawn how do you recommend trying to say/telling her, because I know she at least isn't homophobic *phew* :slight_smile: But what else, I don't know. Like I said, I'm still pretty new in this, so I don't know how to do things like that, but on the other hand, who does? :slight_smile:

#9 whattodoii, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  10. sheepishgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    sounds like you're in the same place I was in a few months ago. Now that doesn't mean you'll end up like me, but I'm going to try summing up my experience, maybe you'll find some of it helpful. :slight_smile:

sooo over a year ago I met this girl and after a pair of months I started to feel exactly the same stuff you describe in your OP. I also tried to write it off as a girl crush since I've always been attracted to guys (and maybe some female celebrities, but never an actual girl I met ... at least as far I realized :slight_smile: ) but then I've realized it's just denial. I mean that's just me, but you can try to ask yourself these questions ... what would you think if you had these feelings for a guy? wouldn't you be certain that it's a crush? :slight_smile:

that's how I came to the conclusion that this indeed is a crush and some of my suppressed feelings came into the light ... fast forward to now, after getting to know her more and more, I'm unfortunately undeniably in love, and I've fallen hard. She has that deadly combination of irresistible personality, talent, killer looks and just the right amount of mystery to keep me going. Like a mystery I'm never gonna solve (I totally stole that line from a certain tv show but yea, it's how I feel basically). I have no intention of telling her, exactly as you. She's straight, has had several boyfriends and I've met some of the guys she is/was pining for so yeah. We have kind of a similar taste in men which only makes it worse cause I totally understand why she'd be attracted to them :grin: I'm pretty certain she's straight, but she's also really lgbt friendly and sometimes says this stuff that makes me wonder and sometimes we have this kind of chemistry and I can't exactly put a finger on it, so idk. This however in no way invalidates my attraction to men. :slight_smile: so since then, I've fully admitted to myself that I am indeed bisexual and came to be comfortable with this identity as long as being bisexual goes. I still have a long way to go re: coming out.

I'm sorry I'm rambling about myself, so my advice for you is: wait it out. Allow yourself to explore these feelings. Treat it as any other crush. You may find yourself falling in love and exploring your identity. I'm guessing you're bi, from what you've described, but you and solely you are the only person that can know this. As long as telling her goes, it depends on you and if you want to risk it :slight_smile: I don't know either of you, but it might be worth a try if you come to be confident she likes you. If you don't, you're not obligated to tell anyone anything. You may start with telling her you've been questioning yourself however, if it helps you unloaden your burden a bit : )

sorry this got way too long! From time to time the essayist spirit overtakes me ...

11. whattodoii

@sheepishgirl no, your post wasn't too long :slight_smile: it's great, and I can identify myself in what you just said, also, love the line with the mytery :slight_smile: When would be a good time to tell someone you're questioning, I mean, it's not like you're casually like: Oh yeah, I watched HIMYM last night(we both watch How I Met Your Mother), and hey, I'm questioning my sexuality, but I love Neil Patrick Harris from HIMYM (he's totally awesome and gay)

Plus, maybe she'd be like: Since when'd you think this? I mean, I don't want to drop the bomb I might be bisexual/a lesbian AND that I've a crush on her...

Also, I've got another thread which is kind of a follow-up of this one :slight_smile:[http://emptyclosets.com/forum/sexual-romantic-orientation/165778-crushes-sexuality.html[/HTML]

#11 whattodoii, Jan 15, 2015
  12. sheepishgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the best time would be when you're already talking about LGBT issues. I've contemplated telling her a few times myself, but didn't see the point ... yet. With us these topics come naturally when we're already talking about society and politics, I don't know if you guys talk about this stuff often - if you don't, it will only be slightly harder to catch the right moment. :slight_smile:

I'd go around it like "well you know, lately I've been thinking I like girls too" (this is maybe not the right formulation but I'm not a native speaker thus don't have a knack for these thing yet :frowning2: ) and if she asks, just tell her something like for a while. You don't have to outright lie to your best friend, I'd say you could only purposedly forget to mention the crush if you don't want to drop the bomb yet.

But I don't have a lot of experience with these talks so someone else might give you better advice :slight_smile: I'll be sure to look at your other topic as well :slight_smile:

P.S. the line is from Castle, season 3 episode 22 :grin: told you I stole it :slight_smile:

13. lyjo

Haha I love Castle! :slight_smile: Back to the point, coming out will never go as planned. I'm not saying that in a bad way, it's just that you shouldn't worry about it too much. Just go with the flow. You could make it funny, awkward or completely random. Random is fun, so your idea is actually alright. :grin: If you want to make it a bit more serious then say "There's something I want you to know; I'm questionning my sexuality", but that's a lot less fun. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It might take you a while to tell her, but that's normal. Being confused shouldn't be something to be ashamed of and it's important to have someone you feel comfortable to talk to about it. So I say go ahead, tell her whenever you feel comfortable to and don't get too nervous. :grin: Keep us updated :slight_smile:

#13 lyjo, Jan 15, 2015
  14. whattodoii

@sheepishgirl haha, I've watched castle, so that's why it was familiar :slight_smile: We don't really talk a lot about society/politics, but we do talk a lot about movies, actors, actresses and tv series a lot. Sooooo, in the era of those topics, there are ways to steer towards that conversation (maybe)? I'm not a native speaker either, where are you from?(country). Also, thanks a lot for checking out my other thread :slight_smile:

@lyjo
    haha, yeah it would be a lot more serious... But feel like even if I'm ready, I wouldn't know where to say it, because I mostly see her just at school, but it just popped in my head that it's maybe possible to do when biking, because mostly we are pretty much alone and it's really quiet too. And at home, my parents are home most of the time, and if she would be upset it would be extra weird/awkward... :/ I will keep you updated :slight_smile:

#14 whattodoii, Jan 15, 2015
  15. lyjo

If it helps at all, here's how I firstcame out to some of my friends:
    -My best friend had already guessed when we were 11, but I told her that I had a crush on a girl in my class and she told me she did also. That was pretty funny.
    -I told another one of my friends when we messaging via Skype. I think she was a bit shocked. :grin:
    -At school, I asked a really good friend if we could talk. He said okay and we went to sit on the stairs. Then after mumbling, blushing and not talking for about ten minutes, I said something like "I think I'm gay". He didn't mind at all and that was it.

So yeah, just go for it. :slight_smile:

16. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ask something like 'out of all the guys in our year, which do you think's the hottest?'
    then 'Okay, what about girls?'
    If she reacts badly you can say it's just a question, but y'know. Just stuff like that. If LGBT stuff ever comes up in a conversation, seize the opportunity to ask as many questions as you can without looking suspicious, or if you know anyone who's LGBT or has recently come out, you could mention them to get them started on the topic?

It really depends on the conversation you're having :slight_smile:

17. whattodoii

@ForNarnia that's a really good idea, but I really don't know anyone at school or something who is LGBT.... I will be on the lookout for opportunities :slight_smile:

18. ANewDawn

You could just get her alone and tell her you wanna talk about something serious - that's how I told two friends. But it might be less nerve-racking to bring it up casually in conversation when you get a chance. I think ForNarnia's suggestion was good. How I told a third friend was bringing up the conversation of what guy she wanted to date. When she asked me the same question I just straight up said "I'm not really into guys". I think how she responds to the topic will largely determine if you feel okay telling her that you have a crush.

19. sheepishgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    well you could always start with a TV show that has lgbt, especially lesbian/female bisexual characters. I don't know what you watch but there's lots of them on right now, like Orphan Black, Carmilla, Orange is the New Black (that is like the holy trinity right now from what I've gathered on tumblr :grin: I love OB and OITNB, but haven't watched Carmilla yet)... I'm from Slovakia :slight_smile:

20. whattodoii

well... first: something weird happened today. Me, my friend and another friend, had a free hour, between classes, so they were working on some art project, while we talked. Then my friend (the crush) told us that a guy randomly biked next to her and she didn't know him at all, so she was totally weirded out. The other friend says that he maybe likes/liked her and he had maybe seen her before, then she joked: haha, maybe you'll be the first one in our group who has an actual boyfriend. (yes, we're 15/16 and none of us has had an actual relationship) And my friend answered: Why, maybe I don't want to.? Meanwhile, she's got my full attention, and I grab the opportunity and say, Oh, how so? And you must know that she doesn't really care a lot about what other people think/say about her, and she says awkwardly: Well, maybe I don't want to be first, because then you're special. Am I the only one who thinks that that was a weird thing to say??? I did, so yeah.

@sheepishgirl I love Orphan Black, and OITNB, I mean, next season please!!! And I've watched Faking it, and it's pretty cool, but cliché-y, The main girl, Amy has a best friend, Karma, and 'they' fake being lesbians to be popular, because their school is the turned-around school, so straight is normal and being gay is awesome and really accepted. But it turns out Amy isn't faking it, and begins questioning if she might actually be gay. BTW, Amy is really cute!!, and Karma is kinda cute, but her personality is so bad, she's not cute at all. Anyywaaayy, you should try it out :slight_smile: aaand, one moment I'm like, I'm going to tell her and the next I'm like, hell no, what if, how, blablabla, soo, just difficulties, and next week's already pretty stressfull, because lots of tests coming up, so everybody will be tired and stressed out, so probably not a good time :frowning2: