1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning whether I'm straighter than I thought I was.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by rainbowdolphin, Jan 12, 2015.

1. rainbowdolphin

Btw, I'm not sure if this better belongs in the Gender Identity section, so let me know if it's posted in the wrong place and I'll move it :slight_smile:

Okay, so I'm an 18 yr old girl and I've been very comfortable with being attracted to women emotionally, and sexually, ever since I was young. That's never been a problem, and until quite recently I identified mostly as a lesbian. I say 'mostly' because very occasionally (as in once a year at most) I'll develop a romantic crush on a guy. However, I always feel really uncomfortable even imagining doing anything sexual with guys or dating them, or even just kissing them. It just grosses me out, honestly.

But the weird thing is, I'm only uncomfortable with the thought of being physical with a man when I'm imagining myself as a woman or having the feminine role in the relationship. If I picture myself as the dominant one in the relationship, or if I picture myself taking the traditional place of a man during *cough* sex, then it just feels, well, right. I can't imagine dating a guy and acting like a traditional woman, e.g. being all lovey-dovey, wearing makeup for him, being submissive, etc. It just makes me feel horribly uncomfortable.

So basically, I can only imagine actually having a real relationship with a man if I imagine myself acting like a man. So, what does this make me? Bisexual? Straight only when I'm imagining myself as a guy? Or does it just make me a bit genderqueer? Or is this actually just a common thing for lesbians? I'm really quite confused, so any input from anyone who's ever felt similarly would be so so appreciated.

2. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have the same problem. I still don't know which label would fit me better, but I'd go with bisexual woman. Just because you are a woman it doesn't mean you have to be the submissive one in the relationship.

3. rainbowdolphin

Thanks for the reply. It feels strange to imagine being with a man and not being the submissive one, but then again I might just be worrying too much about traditional gender roles in relationships.

4. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You don't need to follow those gender roles.