1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I gay, straight, or bi?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by garabaldi22, Jan 20, 2015.

1. garabaldi22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi all, I posted on another thread about my depression and me coming out, but now I'm confused.
    Well, to sum things up I wasn't ready to come out just yet, but it I came out for the sake of a relationship with this one guy, didn't work out. Ever since then I started to question myself and I knew what I wanted. I wanted to be in a relationship with a man, well because I've been secretly attracted to them for over 10 years now.

The reason I'm questioning this now is because back then I was never okay with me being gay. Growing up the option to date another boy was not an option, I was raised to think that happiness and a successful marriage was always with a girl. So I "dated" girls at a very young age, around 6 or maybe 8, I don't really know. All the way up to middle school where sex became a thing now. That's when I discovered what my mind went towards the most, which was guys. I've had crushes on some of my male class mates, but never told anyone. I was trying not to think like that so I tried my hardest to do the easiest thing ever back then, try to find a girlfriend, it was easier on myself to get girlfriend. But I always told myself, "If I ever get a girlfriend, all these thoughts will go away and I will magically then be attracted to her." Well the time came where around the age of 15 I hooked up with this girl of a friend, my first thought wasn't, "oh yeah I'm finally getting with this girl", no, my first thought, right when I made out with her was, "this is nasty." I didn't feel comfortable, I was actually worried that I might have caught something. That situation alone didn't confirm to me that I was gay. So both through middle school and high school I was always thinking about guys, but I was also trying to see myself with a girl, but the thoughts about guys were stronger.

So now I'm finishing my last year in college and that's where all this confusion started. Like i said before, I decided to come out this year, and my body shut down. This led to my depression. Also at the time I was dealing with a bunch of work and I was thinking WAY TOO MUCH ABOUT WHAT MY FATHER WOULD SAY. I remember my childhood always revolving around me trying to please my father, but we were never close. Anyway all of this made me go into depression around October 2014. Now I feel like I'm not that depressed anymore, but I can't think straight anymore. Like my mind won't let me think like how i used too, that being that my attraction towards guys is, not gone, but I can't find myself focusing on that anymore. That being said, this led me to question if I could be attracted to girls, which made me more confused, especially when my mind shut down this gave me a chance to check out girls more. Anyway, like I said before I no longer feel depressed, but I can't think how I used to, which is bothering me, because most of the time I feel neutral and I just want to find an answer.

The thing is that right now I can think about girls sexually, but I don't get turned on like before when I thought about men. Before I came out, just thinking about a guy turned me on, but I don't now anymore.

so this led me to ask this community for some advice, could it be that I'm gay, straight, or bi. I know I need time on this, but I'm just an impatient guy. Hopefully I can get feedback on this. And I'm sorry if it's too long. (I think it is)

2. CubbieBlue

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It kind of sounds like your gay to me, but only you would truly know. Be patient and know that anything you are is okay because it is a part of who you are

3. garabaldi22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the reply.

Well, I think so too, but my mind is not working for me right now. Something to add to this is that I remember always filtering out certain things so that no one would ever hint that I was gay, that being the type of clothes I would wear, the way I would stand, the way I would talk, the tv shows that I would see, the music I would listen to, and even the things I would draw (I'm an artist by the way). But you're right, I need to be patient and I just have to be comfortable with whoever I become, without the filters.

But I'm an impatient guy...:lol:

4. rainbowrunning

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi! I too was raised to believe in only dating and marrying the opposite sex. But I still like girls. I remember completely suppressing those feelings. I started going through puberty in 4th grade and went to a tiny private school with 22 kids in my grade. So I didn't really find anyone attractive there because I'd gone to school with these kids since kindergarten. And it was a church school. So I spent alot of time with them so didn't really babe any crushes on them. But I did find celebrities attractive. I remember scribbling over girls faces without consciously addressing why I felt the need to do so (because I didn't like my feelings towards girls). It wasn't until my freshman year, I met this girl who I thought was incredible and I started to question myself. It was then that I realized that I'm bisexual. Or thought I was. And I started to realize all the things I did to suppress and not address my attraction to girls. Sexuality is fluid. And you can always discover new things about yourself. For instance, I thought I was bisexual but then I realized I like people in between on the gender spectrum as well. Only you can identify yourself. If you don't feel attracted to girls, then you don't, if you do, you do. I think it's clear you're attracted to guys though. Could it be that you want to like girls because it's how you were brought up. Just a thought. I hope this helped and good luck with identifying yourself. Stay strong.

5. garabaldi22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for the reply,
    I too went to small school, but my feelings didn't start till 6th grade, middle school. I remember doing something the same thing in my yearbook, about scribbling out the faces of some guys in my class. Funny how we have this in common, but also a relief that it's something that someone else did.

Referring to your question, about liking girls. Well I was brought up in an abusive family and I my family had strict values towards gays, something that my father said was that he would throw out one of his sons if they turned out gay, sooooo..... from there I tried my best to get a girlfriend. I think I've only had three girlfriends and one crush on a friend, but that crush first transformed from a lie that I made up. But in all of these relationships I never felt sexually attracted to them, or so I think (my mind isn't working). In my mind it felt good to have an idea to have a girlfriend, but again when I'm alone or doing anything really my mind went back to men.

So I can say yeah, my upbringing really played a big role in what I thought I needed in my life, I always played this role of being a perfect son to my father, that being a son with a girlfriend to show off to him... But now I really can't see myself with anyone, which makes me sad and more confused, especially because I thought I had it all figured out.