1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Didn't I Learn About My Sexuality Eariler?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by BookWriter1994, Jan 23, 2015.

1. BookWriter1994

I know that some people figured out their sexuality at an earlier age. Me I didnt. In fact,, all my life so far I thought I only liked guys. In all honesty, I wasn't introduced to the LGBT community until I started hearing about it on the news ever now and then and STILL I didnt questioned my sexuality until after a year of graduating from high school. I have no idea why. I guess it's because I know that if I started dating someone it should be about on how well we connected and how that person should accept me for me and in all honest I don't really care if it's a man or a woman but I still don't understand why I am questioning myself now.

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I realized it recently too.

I think high school is more open about those things, and it made me question myself.

But if i remember my dreams from when i was a teenager (or earlier), i always liked both girls and guys.

3. Whisper

Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you think you had some denial going on? I was always looking at girls, but I told myself I was doing that because I wanted to look like them, not really at them. It didn't enter my mind I wasn't straight for quite a while.

4. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    Some people don't fully realize these things until later in life and that's okay. Sometimes it's just because you didn't know all that much about sexual orientation and gender identities, sometimes you realize after you hear stories from other gay/bi/trans people and find you relate to their stories a lot and that it sounds a lot like how you feel, sometimes you go through denial, and sometimes orientation and gender can change.

5. treatmeright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I didn't know what being gay is until I watched the L Word and then i did lots of reading and searching to finally came to terms with myself. And I was 39 years old. So you still early according to me.

6. ClimbHikeBike

We all discover who we truly are at a different pace. I figured myself out later than you did – during my last year in college – and I didn't see it coming until shortly before I came out to myself. I wish I knew I was gay as early as you did!

Regardless of what happened in the past, it's what you feel now that matters. Questioning the questioning won't get you anywhere.

7. Sh1f73r

Bro, I thought i was straight when I actually liked guys, that was when I was 12 years old, eventually I realized that I liked guys AND girls, and I like it.

8. Lyana

I think, being bi, it was easy to think you were straight by default. Straight is the "default" in our society; people assume you're straight, and you might have assumed it, too. You were attracted to guys and knew it, so you probably never paid attention to any other feelings you might have. Maybe you took crushes on girls for intense friendships. It's not really surprising. I went through something similar.

9. Manitoban

Pretty much the same here for me. I came up with every reason in the book why I might have been straight and not gay. I'm just happy that I figured it out finally last year, though I wish I did earlier.

10. ANewDawn

I think that describes me perfectly. I have had crushes on boys in the past, and thought my intense feelings for girls was friendship, hatred or jealousy. And this sounds stupid but I thought being gay was only a boy thing, because there wasn't really any lesbians on TV when I was a kid.
    I do kinda feel insecure about not realizing my sexuality earlier - sometimes I feel like it means that I can't really be gay. :dry: