1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone explain what "Queer" means?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by EpicConfusion, Jan 24, 2015.

1. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure what the difference is between "Queer" and gay/lesbian/bisexual. I have seen a few people who on here that prefer queer as their label. I think queer encompasses all labels besides straight, but I would rather someone explain it to me so I know for sure.

2. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

The wikipedia entry on this explains it quite well.
    In simplest terms is is a word which is 'reclaimed': it has at a time been used (and still is in many ways) as a slur word. It stands for 'weird', and 'curious'.

The difference between "queer" and gay/lesbian/bisexual is following:

- queer is often used as an identity/mindset which is political, in the sense that it opposes heteronormativity, and the oppression of different sexualities, which arises from heteronormativity.

- gay/lesbian/bisexual in the context of 'queer' is seen as restrictive and narrow for many reasons, but the key difference is that gay/bisexual are identities based on the precise and narrow definition of a sexual orientation (which by queer people is criticised as 'binary'- straight v.gay, "either- or" type of thinking), whilst queer does not reveal the precise sexual orientation of the person who adopts it, because in a way, it is nobody's business to know other peoples sexuality. All that matters that we are not straight.

Also the label is useful for any people who don't fall neatly into the gay/bisexual boxes, and people who don't fall into either masculine or feminine gender identities neatly.
    It might be used to describe both sexual orientation and gender presentation which diverts from heteronormativity.

Personally I choose that label because of both the political connotations, and because I don't fit that neatly into the lesbian or bisexual box, I am probably a Kinsey 4-5 when it comes to noticing people in a romantic/aesthetic way, and a 6 when it comes to noticing people sexually, but also somebody who does not like/want to be with the opposite sex.

I just don't see the point in each time having to explain why and how and in what way my attraction works, and having to defend the use of the lesbian label to label-purists, and justify myself or worse, having another label slapped onto me.

I am queer, deal with it :wink:

3. Linthras

Linthras Guest

In general queer means strange, or outside the norm.
    Hence queer is a more general terms for non-cisgendered or non-heterosexual people.
    Whereas gay, bi, trans etc, refer to specific non-standard orientations/genders.

4. Dakeli27

Queer can be used as an umbrella term for lgbt+. It used to be an insult, but now it's being reclaimed by us.

5. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Like I said, originally it meanst strange.
    Like you could be in a queer mood.
    Or seen a queer thing.

6. Scifiguy338

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In this day and age, Queer can refer to anyone who does not confine to gender norms or is not cisgender or is not heterosexual. It's an open and inclusive term, and has been reclaimed since it's offensive meaning back a few decades ago. Instead of the label defining you, you can define the label Queer when you apply it to yourself.
    I love the term, especially when I am confused about my orientation, because it gives me space, it gives me freedom. It doesn't bind me to a specific box. It even makes me feel original, like people were thousands of years ago, where there were no labels for sexual orientation in most cultures. It's almost like rejecting labels at the same time. It just gives me personally so much freedom, and it feels like home.

7. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone I understand now :slight_smile: