1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What exactly does "queer" mean?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by stylesgirl, Jan 28, 2015.

1. stylesgirl

Is it kind of like saying that you're not 100% straight but you don't want to label yourself as gay/lesbian/bisexual or have I got it completely wrong...?

2. SonicBoom

Queer means strange or odd.

Queer definition from the "Urban Dictionary"

"queer: Originally pejorative for gay, now being reclaimed by some gay men, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons as a self-affirming umbrella term. Caution: still extremely offensive when used as an epithet."

3. Rainbows~Exist

I know some identify as queer which is perfectly fine but I still think of it as a derogatory term. I mean, it means 'strange' thus implying that being gay, lesbian, trans e.t.c is out of the ordinary and not at all our society's view of being 'normal'.

4. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I identify as Queer. Why? Well, I'm definitely not straight. Queer is basically everything outside society's norms regarding mainly sexuality and gender, but also relationships and sexual acts.

Queer is hard to define, which is basically its purpose. You could say it's a non-identity identity. Everyone has their own definition of it.

Why don't I identify as bi/pan/gay/lesbian/whatever? Because I don't feel like any label fits me. I feel like I limit myself by labeling my sexuality. This is not due to some trouble with "admitting" to be bi/pan/gay/lesbian. Trust me, using one of those labels could simplify things for me, as I wouldn't have to explain it to people. People have a hard time grasping that not everyone fits the categories society likes to so neatly put us in.

Yes, if you look up the definition of Queer, you'll find that it means "strange". It has, and still is, used in a derogatory way. Many are not comfortable with the term because of this (and its political aspects), therefore, I do not apply it to others, nor do I use it as an umbrella term.
    To me though, I don't mind that it means "strange". "You see me as strange, so what?" It's sort of a reason I use it. It should be okay to be strange. By applying it to yourself, you're reclaiming it, and taking away the power from those wanting to hurt you.

As for the political aspects, the Queer movement and the Gay rights movement sort of differ from each other. Queer is more about anti-assimilation for example (hence embracing the "strange"). It's not something I'm an expert on, or will go into now. I guess you could sum it up with the phrase "I'm not gay, as in happy. I am Queer, as in fuck you." Not everyone who identifies as Queer in their sexuality/gender, identifies as Queer politically, and vice versa.

#4 Phalange, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  5. Aniot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have to agree. I found it somewhat offensive. :/

6. kai397

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    theirs different kinds of queer like gender queer is where you both boy and girl

7. Romi

I know that a lot of people harbor some negativity about using the term queer in conjunction with the LGBT community. I, however, will stand up and shout from the roof tops that I. AM. QUEER. And it doesn't bother me at all. As someone said before, it could be that it is due to a sort of reclaiming the word and it's meaning.

However, I won't ever refer to someone else as queer, even genderqueer, unless they themselves have said that this is in fact how they identify. It's because I would hate to insult someone, or put them down, without even meaning to.

But for me...

Queer is freedom.

8. Scifiguy338

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unfortunately queer can be used as an offensive term. I came across the word in a older book I am reading for school. So even though its been reclaimed by the LGBTQ+ community as an umbrella term, younger generations such as myself still encounter its offensive use in old books, movies or older people using it in a hurtful manner.

Personally, I like ''Queer.'' It's reclaimed use is becoming more popular, so I think it's old offensive meaning will vanish or be buried in history in time. Queer gives me space to be myself. I'm still questioning my sexuality, so I actually prefer the term. It can mean anything you want when using it to describe yourself and generally means that your either not completely straight, cisgender or gender conforming or all of them.

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to attend a LGBTQ support/social group in town, and at times we discussed issues facing the LGBTQ community and were invited to share our thoughts on them. One of the discussion topics was the term 'Queer' and what it means, and whether people find it offensive using it or being 'labelled' as such. Most were fine with using the term Queer, and a couple of people came right out and said that they identify as Queer.

The discussion was the first one for me and introduced me to the history of the meanings of 'Queer' and also how people have started to reclaim it, and re-introduce it in their daily vocabulary. The term 'Queer' was defined primarily to cover sexual orientations and gender identities but also a term that gave individuals the ability to define themselves outside of the traditional 'LGBT' definitions/understandings. I myself however have never used the term (outside of the mentioned discussion) - although I'd be comfortable using it.

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The word means strange or weird .

The new slang meaning is not straight .
    I just see it as just another word for multisexual people that don't like other labels .
    So they pick this one .

I personally don't like it at all because one it doesn't fit my sexuality because I'm only attracted to one gender sexually and romantically and this word puts me in a box I don't belong in so no for I'm not able to like all genders . Also I find the word queer offensive . But it works for others :icon_bigg

It's just way too boxy for me and doesn't describe my sexuality accurately

#10 stocking, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  11. Seige

Ive heard it used as an umbrella term for anything not straight/cis. Erika Moen has a fantastic comic strip on it. Not sure if Im allowed to like i though, but a quick search should find it.
    Basically if you know youre not straight, but youre not entirely sure what you are, the label "queer" migjt be comfortable.

12. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

It used to be quite a derogatory term, but now many people are using it to refer to any non-straight (usually not completely gay either) sexuality.

13. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It means not completely straight or not completely cisgender.

Or it means strange, depending on the context...