1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there any truth to the "teen hormones" excuse people use?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by MossyCave, Feb 2, 2015.

1. MossyCave

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm questioning myself right now... I have identified as bisexual for maybe a year and a half. Before anyone answers, be aware that I know I can identify as anything I want, and no one knows but me, but I still would like objective opinions just out of curiosity. I'll try keep this short because I hate seeing walls of text about a persons complete attraction history haha!
    When I was really young I liked boys a lot, I never really could imagine being in a relationship with a guy but I still was (and am) confident in my attraction for them. At around 14 when my friends started being more interested in boys, I went the other way and liked girls. I was in an all girls school and didn't know many boys, but I knew enough to think I wasn't into them any more. I liked girls til I was about 17, when I accepted I might be a lesbian it faded a bit and then was kind of in a grey area of disinterest and confusion, but still liked girls if anything. I started college at 19 and found myself, to my surprise, mostly interested in men. I still can't really see myself in a relationship with a guy, but I think I may be becoming more confident in that area.

I have dated guys before but always get bored very quickly. At first I didn't really have feelings for them, decided to give them a chance, and ended up liking them less. Any time I was around a guy who expressed interest I just had this feeling of hesitation and I would think "I'm gay, I can't do this". At this point I genuinely am interested in guys and have a crush right now but I still feel like I would lose interest quickly. This is kind of the reason I still identify as bisexual, with girls I felt like I could really be with them, I never felt like that with guys.

The catch is... I don't really have crushes or even attraction to girls anymore. I'm afraid it was all hormonal and that freaks me out, because I had some real feelings.. and they felt good. A while ago I tried to identify as straight but immediately I just felt limited, even though I'm not really into girls anymore? I'm not sure if my attraction just slides around the Kinsey scale, or if it really was just hormones?

Again, I'm aware I can identify if I want to, but it's just bugging me, we who label all want the right one, and I know it takes time, but I'm questioning so bad right now. Like what if I'm using bisexual as a transition label because I'm in denial that I'm straight...

:eusa_doh:

2. suchconfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oh god, I understand so well. You responded on my other post in regards to this. But yeah, I understand. I had a point where I really liked girls, and it sort of faded away and I was just left with nothing. I was so scared that I had been in a phase or that it was just my hormones and I still am. But bisexuals are subject to a lot of moods where they like different genders at a time. Perhaps you're just going through one of these? If you felt true feelings, I don't believe that you're feelings were purely hormonal. You might not know why you're attracted exclusively to guys right now, and mayb you won't for a while, but I think you just need to go with the flow. Stressing about it probably won't help you. If you just take your feelings in stride and like what you like right now without worrying, it'll be therapeutic. Maybe you'll change in the future or maybe you won't, but I'm pretty confident that your feelings for girls before were legitamate and not just some chemicals in you. I hope it works out for you and good luck

3. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are some people that change their orientation. Maybe it happened to you? Not sure if the hormone thing could make you like girls while actually being straight or make you become gay during your teen years and then turning straight again.

4. antibinary

You don't sound straight. You sound like your some where on the demi or grey ace spectrum.

5. MossyCave

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There's a possibility I'm lithromantic, but i don't know, I don't want to get in too deep and end up with an excess of labels.

6. Wildside

Wildside Guest

it sounds like there's some questioning going on, and that's ok. In fact, I would say that it is good and healthy. no need to get to locked in to any one label. If you want to use a label, use the one that seems to fit best, or least badly. If that is bisexual today because you know that you are somewhere in between things, that's fine. If tomorrow, you feel a bit different, that's fine. Nobody has a right to say "hey, that's not what you told me you were the last time I saw you." As we get older, some people become more certain, but it can be a lifetime process for others. And to some extent, our entire lives are a process of self discovery. Just enjoy it! (&&&)

7. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There are a few things that can influence mood, and sex drive...

stress, meds, lack of exercise...
    so you might try some stress relaxation, like meditation, or look for some stress relief exercises...
    and you might do some regular exercises you like, for example swimming... biking... walking...

to some extent the people you are around with... maybe spending a few minutes a day without much noise helps, just a bit reflecting on what you like...

some people say they fall in love with a person not a gender.

some people say they need an emotional connection first.

And some people say they can not relate as much to one gender.
    But this is generally speaking, there might be exceptions.

You could think about what you liked in girls then... and look for places where you can have it again to some extent.. playfulness ? Maybe joining a sports ?

And, well, you could get to know people slowly, see what you feel, and take it from there...