1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I meet LGBT people? How about just people in general?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by EpicConfusion, Feb 3, 2015.

1. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm getting tired of nobody knowing that I'm gay. I tell people if it comes up, but everyone just assumes I am a well dressed and groomed straight guy. I don't want to change who I am just so I can meet people like me, but I just feel so lonely. I don't act femme, so nobody even considers that I might be.

I don't have any LGBT friends and I could count on my two hands how many LGBT people I know. I go to an LGBT group at a local college, but we have very few members because I live in a very small community. (I've never seen more than 10 at any given meeting.) How can I meet people who are like me? I need real-life people who I can relate to and be friends with. I don't know how to meet people, and there are not many options because I'm not an adult. I am homeschooled this year (my last year in school) and I'm shy. I go to a teen center, but everyone there is younger than me and they're so immature. I'm just so lonely. I pretty much play videogames all the time in my room because I have nothing better to do. I feel like the few friends I do have have chosen other friends over me and they rarely talk to me. I'm getting depressed. Does anyone have any advice?

2. noxlumos

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I really resonate with your feelings about no one knowing you're gay. I was just telling someone that I feel like we have to wear shirts saying "Hey! I like boys/girls/both!" so there's no confusion about what we're looking for...

As for meeting people, I think the fact that you're just at the beginning of entering adulthood is making it more complicated than it will be for you in the next several years. Do you plan on attending college after school is finished? That's an excellent way to meet people. College is filled with young adults who are looking for the same things as you: friendships, relationships, people to relate to.. A lot of them are experiencing confusion regarding sexual identity and will seek out confident people like yourself to relate to.

I seriously commend you for attending these groups you're in, even though they haven't been very satisfying. The fact that you're trying to reach out to people is amazing! I'm not too much older than yourself, but I can say that I am in a completely different situation and mindset than when I was your age a few years ago. I am still struggling to understand my identity, so I haven't reached out to anyone in the LGBT community, but I've made a lot of friends in college.

If you don't plan on going to college, or it's a very small community college, don't get too disheartened. You're still at the beginning of your life, and the best years for you are still way ahead. When you move out and have your own life, things will be different and you'll find so many more opportunities and meet so many new people. There's an app called Meetup that should have groups in your area for specific interests, such as LGBT. Or even gaming groups since you play video games! Common interests in the best place to begin friendships. Just be safe!

Struggling with friendships that are one-sided, like you described, is very hard, and makes depression REALLY bad. Just try to remember that you don't deserve to be in friendships/relationships that are not two-sided. It'll be rough, but remember you're not alone. We're here for you! :slight_smile:

3. notinsync

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I actually don't have much friends that are LGBT, but don't worry, when time comes, you will find that one person that respond back to you in a very natural way. As noxlumos stated, you are still very young and at the beginning of your life, there is still a long road ahead of you, don't get discourage! You are not alone!

4. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not curently sure of what I want to do with my life, but I don't think I will be attending college. I am most likely going to attend vocational training for welding, but that is somewhat similar to college.

I would by no means call myself confident. I still struggle with doubt of my sexuality frequently, and I am very shy, though outwardly it may not be obvious. I will check out that app it sounds interesting.

Thank you :slight_smile: I have been trying to ease away from the most stressful friendship, but it's difficult because even though I know I can't change his views on homosexuality, it feels terrible to give up on him. I have literally known him since he was born. I'm just tired of living a lie around him. I can't believe something so minial would instantly transform me from a brother to an evil sinner in his eyes.