1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Physical vs sexual attraction

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ANewDawn, Feb 4, 2015.

1. ANewDawn

I was reading a thread about being a lesbian and thinking guys are cute and I got really confused by the responses. Is there a difference between physical and sexual attraction? Cuz I find guys hot and turn to look at them on the street but I would never have sex with one. So does that make me bi or gay? I'm using the term 'homoromantic bisexual' for now.

2. Poster

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    There's no need to label yourself tbf. I feel like I know where you're coming from somewhat.

3. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Isn't physical attraction the same thing as sexual attraction? I prefer to use the term "aesthetic attraction" anyway.

As for your question, why do you not want to have sex with them? Is it because you're not sexually attracted to them and only find them visually pleasing? Or could it be for another reason?

I can find a guy attractive and it's never because of his body but because of his face or personality, but I'm not attracted to guys. I think it's a common experience for many people who are gay/lesbian to feel that way.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Think of this, with a statue:

You can admire the artistic beauty of the sculpture, but it doesn't exactly make you want to bump 'n grind with it, does it?

Lol.

You can know when something is appealing or attractive. To give you a personal example, I don't find Angelina Jolie very aesthetically attractive (I can hear the pitchfork and torch mobs now), but I can see why others do. It's very much like this when it comes to physical and sexual attraction.

What it boils down to is this:

If you want to admire somebody for their traits, that's probably physical attraction.
    If you want to get down and dirty with somebody, that's probably sexual attraction.

5. vicky90

There are different dimensions of attractions..

https://lgbtq.unc.edu/asexuality-attraction-and-romantic-orientation

Attraction - AVENwiki

When some homosexual says he/she is attracted to opposite sex - it generally refers to "aesthetic attraction" when we appreciate the beauty of the person but it does not generate any sexual interest in us..

For me - "Hot" refers to sexual attraction. "Cute" could be either sexual or only aesthetic. It is just how I interpret meanings to words based on my perception.

6. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, I can definitely say that the guy at a gym who works out regularly has a nice body. The effort he put to get his muscular build has always been a heavy admiration for me. I'd like to have it but unfortunately I lack the motivation to do it.

Looking at someone is one way to find out between physical and sexual attraction. Another thing I do is begin a conversation with that individual. From there I'll be able to tell if I'm having a normal conversation with the individual (male or female) or if it's something more.

Usually doesn't do it for me with guys though. The only group that I've had sexual thoughts about are exclusive to older men.

7. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I do think a distinction can be made between physical and sexual attraction (albeit a fine one). It's all in the interpretation really.

For example, I saw this really tall muscular guy today at the gym. He was hot and aesthetically appealing but I wouldn't want to have sex with him. He was like a living, walking Michaelangelo's David but I've never been sexually attracted to guys way taller than me for some reason.

Then again, maybe it's just that you have an appreciation for good looking guys but aren't really "attracted" to them. Either way there's no need for you to label yourself, just be you :grin:

8. TheStormInside

I would agree with others who say it's a fine line. It's a point of confusion for me, too. Sometimes guys turn my head, and I would say I even feel some level of attraction. But the idea of being physical with them puts me off, which is why I consider myself lesbian.

I've seen some describe it as admiring beauty, like looking at a beautiful painting, or watching a majestic horse. I think it may be a bit more than that, for me, but it's still not the same as how I feel about women.

9. Seagypsy

If a guy is really hot, I can fancy him like mad and want to snog him and get off with him, but not have full sex. I only want that if we have an emotional connection.

10. Jellal

Oftentimes I find lots of guys/girls hot, but that doesn't extend to wanting to get physical with them.

11. badluckfairy

I agree with some others that it is a very fine line.

12. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... I'm gay and I have even better taste in men than some of my straight friends lol.

If you find a person beautiful/handsome or cute, it doesn't necessarily mean you want them in your bed. I was confused about this too, for a long time, but now I understand, it's normal to find gender you are not attracted to simply attractive.