1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to have a crush without realizing it?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by komei, Feb 6, 2015.

1. komei

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Do you think it's possible to be so entrenched in the assumption of being straight that you could develop a crush on someone of the same sex without realizing it's a crush? Has anyone had the experience of having a sudden attraction to someone of an unexpected gender, only to realize much later on that your feelings were more than platonic? Just out of curiosity!

2. Sh1f73r

I'm kinda gay, but I think I'm gonna end up straight. I've been having a semi-crush on this girl in my class lately that caught me off guard. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I thought I was straight I had a few crushes on girls but I was so in denial that I didn't realize what they were.

4. TheStormInside

I think so, I'm pretty sure it was the case with me. Age 11/12 developed an intense friendship I considered to be "sisters" but when our friendship "broke up" it was a lot more like going through a relationship break up than anything else. In high school, I was too dense to realize that doodling about your female friend and being jealous of her boyfriend (not jealous that she had one, but jealous that *he* got to be with *her*) was not the norm.

5. Justinian20

Absolutely I mean I've had plenty of semi crushes on guys when I was in denial of being gay.

6. butHitlerisDead

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a few obsessions over certain girls when I was younger, although there wasn't much sexual about it so I never recognized it as a crush. Looking back though, I might consider these "obsessions" to be crushes on them.

7. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is possible. I've had ~3 crushes on girls, and I had no idea what it was until I discovered my sexuality. I just thought I liked them as friends. One time I even asked out on a date my that time best friend, I liked her, she took it as a joke, and I forgot it, a few months from now I told her I'm gay and she mentioned me this, she said 'I should have known...' lol.

8. komei

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for your responses! I was wondering because something like this happened to me as well: I only liked guys and assumed I was straight until I became very attached to a female friend in my early 20's. I didn't have sexual thoughts about her, but I realized later on that my attachment to her was a little more than platonic. It was from this point I suspected I wasn't exactly straight. But then again, I haven't felt that way about another girl since, and it's been a while... (I'm 29 now.) So I can't help but wonder if that experience is really enough to say I'm not straight, you know? I'm definitely interested in girls in general (i.e. I notice attractive girls and like the idea of being with a girl), but I haven't yet had the experience of falling in love with one and I wonder if it's ever going to happen. Yet for some reason I really want it to happen, and I can't stop thinking about it. ><;; Ugh!

9. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've had this. Not so much because I thought I was straight as I was always sort of aware I was not even if I didn't understand the labels, but I have liked specific women for a long time before it clicked that I had a crush on them. I'm quicker to realise nowadays but still not necessarily right away, however I am usually more focused on a woman's personality so it takes times for me to develop a crush in any event. So how much of it is down to my sexuality is hard to say. Certainly for what I've seen others post it does seem to be a common occurrence.