1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Girlfriend won't accept sexuality

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Brennana Bread, Feb 6, 2015.

1. My girlfriend is one of those annoying lesbians who hates bisexual girls. I love her to death, but that's one belief of hers that irks me. I told her I'm a lesbian, and she's alright with that, but sometimes I'll ask her "What if I was bisexual?" She responds by saying that she wouldn't date me.

I know that she's partially kidding. We're in love and planning to get married. There's no way she would dump me if I was bisexual. But that ignorance toward anything other than "gay" would still be there.

Obviously, sexuality is very fluid. I'm not 100% lesbian, but I'm definitely not bisexual either. I would consider myself more demisexual with a preference toward women. I can never see myself having the same loving, sexual relationship with a man that I can with a woman, but that doesn't mean that I will discount men entirely. I'm not narrow-minded or entirely fixed in my sexuality.

Does it matter if I keep this from my girlfriend? It's not a huge deal, and it certainly doesn't mean I'm going to cheat on her. I just wish I could change her opinion about sexuality.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you spoken to her what it is about bisexual that she doesn't like?

3. sublimeprincess

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I think her behavioral rigidity with bisexuality is possibly stemmed from an insecurity. You should be able to be your total self with your significant other (especially if you plan on marriage).

I think if I were you I would begin talking about bisexuality as a whole and as you defend your perspective I think she'd eventually say "Why are you defending them (or maybe she'll say "bisexuals")?" and then it could be your chance to say "Because I can relate with bisexuals since I'm demisexual, and you rejected bisexual girls makes me feel like you reject me." (Or however you might say that)

But really - to answer "Does it matter if I keep this from my girlfriend?" It only matters if you feel like it matters. If it really means something to you, then you should probably say something. Yet, if it really isn't that big of a deal and you could be comfortable with it, then don't say anything. Up to you, love :slight_smile:

Good luck <3