1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I identify as more than one?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Somelonelyguy77, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Somelonelyguy77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was curious on if there was anymore sexualities I didn't know about and I saw "Androsexual/Androphilic" then I saw "Fluid-Sexual" okay now I'm kinda questioning my sexuality cause I feel like i am Gay, Androsexual, and Fluid-Sexual. Can i identity as more than one?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No offense, but with the exception of "gay", none of the labels you're using are recognized by anybody credible, and they certainly are not widely accepted, so honestly there's no real meaning in using them.

If they work for you, then I don't think it's anyone's place to tell you it isn't ok to use more than one. Just keep in mind that most of the time multiple labels, particularly ones for which there's no credible basis in any of the sexuality or psychology literature, usually serve to confuse more than to clarify.

3. vicky90

You personally can identify as whatever label(s) in combination that your mind feels most comfortable with and which helps you understand and accept yourself the best possible way.

The confusion comes when we start using label to identify yourself with outside world. And to avoid it, use something - which people recognize - which does not complicate the matter. You cannot explain your orientation in depth to each and every person.

As per my interpretation -
    Androsexual - having sexual feelings for males..
    Gay - having romantic & sexual attraction to same gender..
    Fluid-Sexual - person whose sexual feelings change with time..

Simple gay label may suffice to better express yourself to the world.

But you personally can use any labels with different degrees (e.g. mostly gay) to be more comfortable with yourself.

Hope that helped!

4. MossyCave

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Although you can use whatever labels you want, why do you want to choose both gay and androsexual when, in your case, they mean the same thing? Usually I would think people use andro/gynesexual when they themselves do not identify as male or female, so gay or lesbian wouldn't fit them.

But yeah you can have different identities at the same time, for example if someone liked the same sex but was demisexual, but someone else might be demisexual and like both sexes. But most people just simplify their identity for the sake of other people. Say if I was homosexual biromantic, I would probably tell people I was bisexual.

Also, I don't think fluid is exactly a sexual orientation, like saying "fluid" doesn't give any indication on who you're attracted to, just that your orientation changes over time. I do think fluidity is real, but if you find it changing a lot then you could be bisexual?

#4 MossyCave, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  5. antibinary

Oh hell yeah. I identify as pansexual, and sometimes bi if I can't be bothered explaining what 'pansexual' means.

6. TheStormInside

If you're binary male aren't "gay" and "androsexual" basically saying the same thing? As far as "fluid-sexual," if you mean your sexual attractions change over time, then perhaps you could just say you're "Gay but Fluid." You may find yourself having to explain your fluidity, but gay at least will be recognizable to people. Personally I see labels as words used to communicate best to others our feelings. If the labels are so obscure or complicated that it impedes understanding I find them a bit counterproductive. I understand not everyone feels this way, and I would not force my way of thinking on anyone, it's just my view on this matter.