1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What country is more accepting?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by nothereanymo, Feb 14, 2015.

1. nothereanymo

One day, if I end up getting a boyfriend or living with another guy, I would like to go out with him (go shopping, eat out) without being afraid of suffering some hate crime or whatever... :eusa_naug

So, I was kinda wondering, from your experience or knowledge, what countries do you consider more accepting of homosexuality/bisexuality in public?? :dry:

2. SonicBoom

I live in the good US of A.

I really don't know what countries are more accepting.

The only places in America that it is mostly safe to walk hand in hand for gay men in public are places that are predominately gay place like some parts of West Hollywood, San Francisco , Florida etc.

Besides those places that are predominately gay, it is still very unsafe just for gay men to walk out hand in hand anywhere.

Homophobes and sometimes violent homophobes are EVERYWHERE.

*Sigh*

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  4. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The link from jay777 is a great one - I would mostly have to agree with the rankings.

Countries in Western Europe and Scandinavia are some of the most accepting, I think. I live in the UK and while we can have some nutters (*cough* UKIP *cough*) homophobia is generally really frowned upon here.

I would avoid Middle Eastern countries and some places in Africa because they might even have a death penalty for homosexual behaviour. Similarly, places like Jamaica are also quite homophobic (in general).

Anyway, check out the link jay777 posted, it's super informative.

5. stylesgirl

Canada is pretty awesome. A few years ago, my gay friend brought his boyfriend to prom and they danced the whole night and not one person said anything rude to them. Gay marriage is also legal. It's great!

6. nothereanymo

Thank you all so much for your answers!!

Wow, this is really amazing, thank you so much!!! It's exactly what I needed to read!

Though I would love some personal input based on which country everyone lives in...

#6 nothereanymo, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  7. HTBO

I live in Canada and overall, it's pretty good and accepting. I live in Montreal, which is known to be an accepting city, but like everywhere, it isn't completely free of homophobia. Although, I must admit, when I was at the pride parade and saw my union had a float in it, it made me feel good. Same-sex marriage is legal here, and it is overall fairly safe. But, like I said, homophobes still exist, but for the most part, you can be you and love who you want

8. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    In Europe, Scandinavia and the UK.

In my country, Saint-Petersburg.

9. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm from Hungary (which is homophobic) and live in the UK now and there is a massive difference. The UK is probably as good as it gets for gays anywhere in the world, to be honest.

Scandinavia, Canada are also thought to be accepting but I think you'd be fine in other Western European countries as well.