1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The way I look at members of the same sex

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by popcorn, Feb 15, 2015.

1. popcorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    So apparently the main reason why people think I am a lesbian (because I don't think I am) is the way that I look at women.

My eye contact is very bad anyway. Apparently I stare (even though I don't mean to) or have poor eye contact when I should be making eye contact. Am crap generally in social situations....

So would appreciate anyone's comments or thoughts about that or even experiences...

Confused...

2. sslen

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I normally tend not to make eye contact with people...can't explain why but eye contact or prolonged "staring" doesn't indicate attraction...i've stopped and stared at people being dumb cause I just couldnt believe my eyes hehe.

3. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always had problems making eye contact with people, but eye contact alone isn't enough to say who you like.

I have Social Anxiety Disorder, so it explains why I was so judgmental on myself.

I look at people in the eye to acknowledge their existence, not because I'm trying to signal something sexual.

4. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have trouble looking anyone in the eye; I'm just no good with eye contact.

I have extra trouble making eye contact with girls though, and I think that's because I'm attracted to them and they make me nervous.

5. popcorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ok so apparently I do have social phobia....

6. popcorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hey this is still really bothering me... Got called a lesbian the other day because of the way I looked at a member of same sex.

7. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well to be honest, some people think I'm gay because the way I act. I'll sometimes act sassy just because I like to make people laugh.

8. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

@Jax - or maybe it's because deep down you really are gay... JK man.

You should come up with a practiced answer, like, Oh was I staring, I was just thinking about _____....

Or something like, awe, thanks for that, but I'm straight...

Sooner or later they'll get the hint, and stop it.

Everyone has different aspects of their behavior, and some people use that to judge you. Wrongly judge you sometimes. Just be confident with who you are, it will shine through eventually, and people will recognize that.

9. Rouqe

Hey popcorn, following up from Kindy and his idea of a practiced answer, the one I used to love using when people asked if I was gay/straight if they caught me staring or acting out in some way was "Why? Do you want my number?"

Social phobia and anxiety is a tough thing to cope with. Just because someone says something it doesn't mean you have to take it to heart and let it influence you. You're going to know yourself better than anyone if you take some time to think about and confront what you're feeling. If you're still put out by what they said then maybe find some people you're comfortable with and get used to being around, involved and interacting with them a bit more.

What I found helped to start off with is just pretending to be confident. That will get you started and if you're ever worried or unsure about anything, there'll be people on here and people around you that are always willing to give support.

10. popcorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Kindy14... Almost spiralled into a deep depression for the evening after reading your comment...
    Jumped to conclusion that it was about me... Even though you clearly addressed it to jax...

I kinda... Don't really know where to look or how to act when I'm out with people. Was like this before heading to Uni... And eventually came out of myself, became more confident and was able to act appropriately in social situations... Was with lots of members of opposite sex... And was very happy....

Now... It's been over three years since I've been with anyone decent as I was sick for that time. Have been with a few guys... But... I think...I might be a bit fussy... I don't want to date just any guy...

... And I'm not the most sociable person either which makes it harder again...

Think I need something to relax me... Alcohol CERTAINLY helped in Uni

11. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Oh, I'm so sorry popcorn, not my intention at all. That was totally a joke for Jax, he almost needs a slot machine arm on his orientation he's so unsure of himself. I do my best not to push anyone into a label, and accept them for who they are.

You can work on your social anxiety, but something that has helped immensely has been anti-anxiety medicine. It has helped with my general anxiety. Therapy, and the exercise of talking to random strangers, has helped with more specific instances. I'm the same way, a couple of drinks, and I'm much more loosey goosey with everyone.