1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On searching for labels (and a bunch of other meditation)

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ms79, Feb 23, 2015.

1. ms79

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Back in 2012 I first started questioning my sexuality. After spending my whole life thinking I was straight, I realized I liked girls and labelled myself bisexual. As time has progressed, I've realized that no, I'm actually just a lesbian. For a long time I refused to call myself that because there was a part of me that still was semi-attracted to guys, but that part is gone now. I'm finally at a place where the lesbian label feels right.

However, recently I've been doing a lot of self exploration around the way I experience sexual attraction. I already know that my sexual attraction is towards women, but it still doesn't seem...like conventional sexual attraction. I recently discovered the term akiosexual or lithsexual. From my understanding of it, it's when someone experiences sexual attraction but has no desire for reciprocation. That's something I can really relate to. For a lot of reasons that I don't want to get into, I don't have much desire to act on my sexual attraction or participate in sexual activities (it should be noted that I'm also a virgin). But, that definition still doesn't quite fit me. I'm also really interested in the demisexual label, but that never fit because I do still experience sexual attraction, and demisexuality is described as not experiencing sexual attraction until a strong bond has been formed. In my head I've been formulating some sort of combination of demisexual and akio/lithsexual. I experience sexual attraction, but have no desire for it to be reciprocated until a strong emotional bond has formed. I don't know if there's any label specific to this, and even if there is, I wonder how legitimate it is. I know these minority labels get a lot of hate sometimes when people are accused of using them to "be a special snowflake". Sometimes I wonder how valid it is that I want to find a label to describe what I'm feeling. I guess I just want to know that someone out there has a similar feeling.

At the same times as all this, I've been investigating my romantic orientation too. I'm definitely homoromantic as well, but lately I've been wondering if I'm demiromantic. I have very limited experience with relationships (one brief stint with a guy long before I realized I wasn't into guys) and then recently I met a girl. We went on a few dates and were moving in the direction of a relationship/stuck in a "sort of dating" limbo for two months, and then a few days ago she broke things off saying that she didn't want to pursue anything romantic anymore. Which I'm okay with. Because I learned a lot about myself, one of the things being that I'm really really bad at interacting with people romantically. I'm bad at interacting with people in general, but especially romantically it would seem. And this is why I'm wondering if I'm demiromantic. I honestly think I might need to become very emotionally close to someone, just as friends, until a romantic relationship can be on the table. But all this being said, I'm having the same problem with the demiromantic label as I did with the demisexual label. I technically do experience romantic attraction...so then there's a part of me that wants to create a demiromantic and akio/lithromantic hybrid too. I experience romantic attraction but have no desire for it to be acted upon until a strong emotional bond has formed.

I guess my question, if any, is about labels and how much they can be manipulated to fit what we want them to fit. I feel like I'm wasting my time by trying so hard to label myself. I even have a grudge against labels in general, so the fact that I'm trying so hard to find one now is frustrating and I wish I didn't feel the need to, but I do. I guess I just want some validation or something. Does anyone have any thoughts? Should I try and let go of the labels?

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might have a look at this thread:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/sexua...how-can-i-supportive-my-asexual-sister.html#3
    and at this whole thread:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/anonymous-discussions/166447-how-do-you-make-friends-adulthood.html#5
    and here:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/general-support-advice/168908-flirting-girls.html#6

The general idea is to do some sports activities, think about a few things to come into contact with people, and train a bit to be more outgoing...
    you might think about one or two possibilities that you like best...

for example often people find it easier to make contact in groups, where they learn to know people slowly...

I'd say take the time you need, meet a few people and see where it takes you...

and, well, its up to you if you want to use labels... I'd say take your time, and there might be a factor of change involved... I'd say just be you :slight_smile:

(*hug*)