1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this normal? Embarrassed about bisexuality

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by FlyingCheese, Feb 27, 2015.

1. FlyingCheese

Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to my mom about being bisexual, I want to clarify that my parents are accepting and I knew they wouldn't react badly, but I still felt embarrassed and maybe even a little ashamed?
    I told her in the car and then wouldn't look at her almost for the whole car ride, I spent the day before anxious to tell her and felt like I was admitting I did something wrong, but right after I just pretend nothing happened.
    I'm not homophobic and they aren't either.
    She told my dad and he's okay with it, they're letting me go to an lgbt thing, but she told him over the phone while he was away for work, she told him 5 days ago and he'll be home tonight.
    They're okay with it but I want to avoid him for a few minutes in case he mentions it I feel awkward:icon_redf

2. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cool! You got awesome parents. My parent's weren't homophobic either, it's just that they were new to the concept (they're quite traditional). The bottom line was that as long I was happy then that's what makes them happy.

I would say it's quite normal to feel a little uncomfortable after telling your parents that you're bisexual. I think this embarrassment that you refer to stems from the societal norm that a parent's kid(s) will be straight, when this isn't always the case.

Maybe you're just worried about what he might say. I mean, your mom told him for you and so you saw her response, but not his. Maybe there's that build up of "What will he say?". But since he says it's okay, then there's less to worry about.

3. Emily1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I can totally relate to the whole feeling awkward thing around your parents. My parents are extremely accepting to the point where they throw around jokes all the time. I hate it, it makes me feel terribly uncomfortable and makes me wish that I wouldn't have told them so soon. I feel like once you are more comfortable in your own skin the awkwardness will begin to dissipate… hopefully that doesn't take too long. Good luck!

4. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, that's called shame. Eventually you will probably get used to being out and it won't feel as uncomfortable anymore.

5. SquirrelGirl

I think that most people feel embarrassed talking about sexual stuff with their parents regardless of orientation. Coming out to them is almost as if you're saying "Hey Mom! Girls turn me on!" I know that you told them so they would know that you may have female partners throughout your life, but yeah it's awkward.

6. Lipstick Leuger

Anytime you talk to your parents about sexuality or sexual things it's just embarrassing.

I even had a hard time talking to my Mom well into my 30s. Now I am 45 and I just don't care anymore. LOL

7. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Congratulations for coming out! And the discomfort will pass, and life will go on. It's always so uncomfortable discussing sexual issues between parents and children. Imagine if your parents had to talk to you about something related to their sex life. You would probably feel a little weird about that too.

8. sublimeprincess

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have the same kind of parents and felt the same way! It does go away with time. I'm bi and don't like letting my mom know if I'm about to go on a date with a guy or a girl; it's just bleh, they don't have to know everything! I totally don't mind telling my mom how beautiful I think a girl is or how handsome a guy is nowadays, but that took me a good amount of years lol And really, it was always about my comfort. I think once you get enough confidence and realize how awesome you are and that you just like both genders, then shame will slowly but surely subside :slight_smile: Good luck and nice job having the courage to come out!

9. FlyingCheese

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, that's probably it.
    I'm pretty sure they saw me as being asexual for a few reasons, they probably thought I looked so uncomfortable with half naked girls on tv because I was offended by sexism:eusa_naug
    I told them so they would know why I wanted to go to an LGBT thing that's in a city a bit far from our tiny little town, I get to go and my dad didn't say anything about it(!)