1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I like guys, but suddenly I find women attractive too now.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by AlexSreb, Mar 1, 2015.

1. AlexSreb

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey! I'll tell you my story. Since, I was little I knew I was attracted to men. I just never wanted to admit it to myself. I also felt some attraction for women, but I just thought they were pretty. I dated a few girls but I was never into them sexually. I just thought they were beautiful and I liked their personalities. I wanted to get married to them, I just didn't want to have sex with them more than I did with men. I recently met a guy during the summer and fell in love with him like I never had before. I'm really happy. I'm a long distance relationship and we've managed to really make it work. We go to different colleges. We told each other about our feelings though skype.
    I recently saw him this past winter break and we finally did things couples do. I was extremely happy. However, we live in an environment where gay relationships are not accepted as much. Our parents didn't know, but we decided to tell them. His parents accepted it. Mine on the other hand, told me I have a mental problem that can be fixed with therapy. I was still in the process of accepting my sexuality, so what they said was hard on me and created doubts in my head.
    I know I love muy guy with all my heart and I'm attracted to him in every way. I want to be with him forever. I know I like girls to a certain extent. But suddenly with everything that's in my head, I started finding women more attractive, even a little sexually. This never happened before. I feel attracted to my female friends even though I wasn't before. It's also hard since he's not in school with me. Is it me just over thinking everything? What's going on? I'm just worried because I love my guy so much that I would never want anything, especially this to get in the way.

2. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am sorry that your parents did not accept you, and displayed misinformed bigotry towards you.
    From your post I gather that you feel insecure and doubtful because their reaction has seeded those feelings into you.

It also looks like you feel that you could, or even ought to 'try' being into girls, because this has been presented to you by your parents as 'normal' and a perquisite for their acceptance. They are wrong.

Most gay people who grew up in the straight world have some *residual* capacity for 'bisexual' behaviour or attraction, and even development of romantic feelings which are contradictory to orientation: eg. based nice personality, cute looks, and many gay people who are in denial mistake that capacity for certain flexibility for a real capacity towards heterosexuality/bisexuality.

But in those relationships with the opposite sex something will always feel a bit forced, and lacking and eventually those people realise that they are gay. From what you said it sounds like you are doing just that: trying to force yourself to be attracted to women, because you are having trouble accepting that you are gay, due to your parents reaction.

It could be, of course, that you are bisexual to some degree (although I doubt it from your post), but think about it: what would that change? You are in a loving relationship and have found that person who makes you happy.

Even if you were genuinely attracted to women you would still be attracted to him, you would still love him, no? Being bi would not erase your feelings for him and you will still have to work on the acceptance of your gay side.

Bisexuality, does not mean 'straightness', even if you were a 50%-50% bisexual and could be sexually attracted to the opposite sex, you'd still have the same issue to deal with: attraction to the same sex, because your attraction to the opposite sex would not magically make your 'gay side' disappear, it would not make you straight.

Many bisexual people who given to hope of 'being straight', repress their 'gay side' and when it comes back later in life, it messes things up.

My impression is that you are clinging to shimmers of hope that you could be attracted to a woman, and that this will magically make you 'normal'- not gay. This is denial at its best. If such attraction ever happened (and I doubt, because all you've said makes it look like you mistake admiration for attraction) at best it will make you bisexual, but it will not erase the part of you which is gay, so in that respect not much will change.

Gay denial has a tendency to treat potential bisexuality as 'hope for being straight', which is nonsense.

I think your doubt is mostly coming from your parents treatment of you: it is time to accept that your own acceptance of the way you are is more valuable to you than theirs.

Try to limit contact with them, get more LGBT friends and go to support groups which will affirm your identity.

#2 LooseMoose, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  3. SkylarRain

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can be romantically attracted to women to(that could be called bi-romantic) and men both romantically and sexually(homosexual and homo-romantic.) But if labels are just stressing you out remember they can be a tool to help define a person but you don't need them.

4. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Maybe you're bi.

5. wolfy1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i have a pretty similer experience to yours. growing up i also knew i liked guys and also refused to admit it to my self until i turned 20. after a few months of accepting i was gay, i started to notice i had an attraction to women. although it was not as strong as my attraction to guys i did notice it. ever since i just (although i did fight it a bit) accepted it and told my self "well looks like you bisexual now". personally i fluctuate a little on what i like sometimes but i think boys always outweigh girls for me. for me, i mainly think gay, but if i fall for a girl then w/e right? love is love!

just remember that even if you find a girl sexually attractive that doesn't mean that you love your boyfriend any less, and should not get in the way of your relationship unless you allow it to. so what if your gay or if your bi, like i said love is love so dont worry too much :slight_smile: