1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hate myself for being gay.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by phoenix89, Mar 3, 2015.

1. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As the title states, I hate myself for being gay. I wish I could be normal, be the person I was meant to be. But no, I am gay. I am a disappointment. I will never have a husband, or have kids in the normal way or anything. My twin is gay, and my dad doesn't understanding. He says that she made her life harder. He knows it's not a choice, but still doesn't understand why. Now he is going to find out that his only other daughter is also gay. Yeah my brothers are straight, but both of us girls are gay. After I came out as bi, I lost my church, my community, friends. What am I going to lose now that I am gay? I just want to crawlin a hole and hide until I feel better. I want to be happy, I don't know how though, I am so scared and angry about being gay. I know my family will still love me, but will I still love myself.

2. SonicBoom

So sorry that you are going through this.

Just remember that it is NOT YOUR FAULT that you are gay.

Sweet heart just remember that you don't have to come out to EVERYONE. Just come out to the people that you know will not judgemental and mean.

One day at a time.

Hope you feel better soon hun.

(*hug*)

#2 SonicBoom, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    phoenix89, you could use a hug. (*hug*)

I'm sorry you feel this way. As you know, there's nothing wrong with being gay. You say "I wish I could be normal, be the person I was meant to be" but what makes you think this is not who you are meant to be? I don't believe in "meant to be", but if you do, then why do you think this is not the "correct way"?

You say your dad doesn't understand your twin, but does that matter? I mean, for you? You might feel that you don't want to make him go through this, but you should also think of your own happiness.

I'm so sorry you lost your church, community and friends. There are accepting people, there are accepting churches and so on. Don't try to stick with those that try to let you down, find those that take you for who you are. =)

Take care phoenix89.

4. DoubleSoul

DoubleSoul Guest

Nothing else.

My dear, I know that being gay is hard but I don't like the way you see homosexuality.

"It isn't you fault" said SonicBoom...what the hell does it mean? Seriously...

Being gay is my nature, your nature, our nature! And this is normal! Completely NORMAL.

Do you believe that white people are more normal that black people? I don't. So, I don't believe that the love between two straight people is more normal that the love between two gay people. They are the same, equals.

The same about gender. I know that you haven't this problem but I do have it. People think that you must have male genitals to have a manly soul. Hell, no! I don't need male genitals to be who I am.

So, you mustn't be absolutely straight to have a normal life.
    You can be gay and have a normal life.
    It's possible, trust me.

I know you are sad because you lost your church and your friends. I lost them, too. You're not alone. (*hug*)

The world is full of people who are wonderful and gay-friendly. And full of gay-friendly churches, too! Just take your time to find one. When you have found it, you'll have a lot of friends because in the churches there are plenty of people!

I hope you can feel better after reading this.
    Remember, I'm here for whatever (*hug*)

5. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much. I need to stop blaming myself for being gay, I don't know how. I hate not being able to open, but that is just not the case. I am lucky that at least my work is super supportive.

I feel like this is not what I am meant to be because majority of the population is
    straight and I am not. I will not be able to fulfill the dreams that people had for me.

You are right I don't want my dad to have to go through this again. It has to be hard on him, his only daughters are both gay. I can't imagine what it feels like for him to have this happen. As far as I know my twin and I are some of the only gay people in my dad's family. I feel guilty about being happy with this, because I am letting people down.

Thank you, it hurt losing my community. There are no open and affirming churches in my hometown, and honestly it sad that I would have to drive to another town in another state to fine an open and affirming church.

I don't really have anything else left to lose, so there is that. I just don't understand how I can be gay normal. You have a point about race and gender. I know there is nothing wrong with being gay, I just need to learn to believe that. That are plenty, I mean of plenty of people who gay and successful, Neil Patrick Harris is a prime example.

How do I learn to be happy with being gaying? How long before I think it is natural?

When it comes to church, I lost my faith and I am taking a break until I feel better about myself.

6. Etak

Just because you're gay doesn't mean you stop being the rest of who you are. You might have to deal with the fallout from the people judging you, but you haven't lost any of who you are. Your dreams are intact. You can still raise a family if you want one, and fall in love if you want to. If anything, knowing who you are will make your dreams easier to attain.

As far as church goes, I think you should watch this. I think it might help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezQjNJUSraY

I know it seems really complex and scary and awful right now, but it will be OK eventually.

7. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your response, I never thought being gay would make it easier to attain my dreams. I have spent my whole life trying fulfill everyone elses dreams and wants, that I neglected my own. Now that it is my turn, I am upset and feel guilty]. I never really had a chance to do something for myself up until recently and now that I am it is a lot harder that I expected. Society wants me to be straight and that is what I am trying to do and it i not working. That is why I am upset, I keep trying to fulfill their dreams first, while pushing mine in the corner. However, with coming out that is not an option, and because of that I am losing it, I panicking, getting upset, and just want to hide from all of this.

thanks so much for the link, I will have to watch one time when it is not so late at night.

On another note, if anything I said in my original post is upsetting, rude or mean, I do apologize, I was really angry when I wrote. In addition, I had to leave for work right after I posted it, so it didn't even me anytime to proofread or even calm.

8. vicky90

Hey there, I feel sorry that you are going through tough time.(*hug*)

I used to feel somewhat similar about being gay. I am yet to come out to parents so even now once in a while I get some random thoughts. I know how hard that feels. But I do not allow them to grow. I know the reality. There is no bargaining. The best form of happiness of life is being authentic and living your life truly for yourself.

You can refer to five stages of denial - acceptance process and gain some confidence that eventually you will reach the last stage of acceptance.

Nothing. If some people leave you, you can be rest assured that they were never yours truly. Everyone of us is on our own here. Sooner or later, some people will move out of your life and some new people will enter. That is not going to stop regardless of your orientation. Those who love you will keep on loving you and will support you. BUT it is ultimately your decision where you want to move forward in your life - to live for your own happiness or to live for happiness of others.

For now, I think you are surrounded by lot of FEAR. I would personally advice about surrounding yourself with FAITH. Fear and Faith- both ask to believe in something which is yet to come then why not to believe in some positivity, some hope?

Keep faith in yourself - things will eventually be alright. (*hug*)

Discuss with some supportive friends. Try going to local LGBT support centers and meet new people.

Don't let your faith die..

9. DoubleSoul

DoubleSoul Guest

You lost your faith because you think you need a church to be spiritually fond of God, don't you?
    It doesn't work this way.
    Doctrine is useless. A person can love God and never go to church, for example, but I realized that most gays haven't enough strenght to do this, to be Christian and gay at the same time.

I don't blame you for this but I suggest you thinking about what you feel for God. Only you and God. No churches, no community, no friends, no relatives...
    Obviously, take your time. Do it when you're ready, because you haven't enought strenght now.

How do you learn to be happy and gay? It's up to you. I cannot say what you must to do or to think, but I think you need to resolve your spiritual problems because maybe they are the point of all.

10. Queero

It sounds like you'd feel better if you found a new church community that you could be part of.

I don't know what's in your area, but you could look up and see if there are any welcoming UU congregations. The UUs will accept whatever your faith is/was and your sexuality. The first principle UUs live their lives by is "The inherent worth and dignity of every person", I enjoy the community/social aspects of my UU church, as well as the spiritual/religious aspects.

11. Van

Van

You should NOT hate yourself, hon! You are perfect and there's absolutely nothing wrong with you. Just because your church doesn't get it, your dad doesn't get it and whomever else don't get it, it doesn't mean that you're not a "normal" person. What's normal and who gets to define what's normal, anyway? If you don't feel happy at home, maybe it's time you started thinking about moving to a new place, start over, meet new people, make new friends. And just allow yourself to be happy. Stop worrying about what other people have to say. You need to start living your live. If someone can't handle your awesomeness, then it's their problem, not yours.

(*hug*)

12. Coffee Guy

Coffee Guy Guest

You sound like a really good person, phoenix89. I hope everything works out for you and you become happy with who you are.

13. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the responses everyone, sorry I did not respond yesterday.

I am terrified, so yes I am surrounded by fear. I am not a religious person anymore, so I don't have faith, but I can try to keep faith in myself. Though I am not sure how.

I do talk with some of my friends about this, so I am not alone, when it comes to LGBT support centers are none in my town, and I think it would be horribly awkward trying to explain why I am driving to a different town to go to a support group.

This is part of it yes, but not the full story. I have had issues with my faith for many years before things went bad with my church. I hardly ever felt a connection to God, when I prayed, it felt like I was talking to myself, I felt alone from him. I would see his work in others, but for me it was not there.

I have made a lot of progress when it comes to my faith, and I know one thing, I am happier now than I was as Christian. I am no longer beating myself up for every little thing, and a lot of the guilt is gone.

There is a UU church next town over, I am just not ready for church yet, thanks for the advice.

Thank you so much. No one gets to define what normal is, it is just there. There is no way I can afford to move, I am only making $8.10 and hour (minimum wage), 24 hours a week. I am lucky that I am meeting accepting people at work so that has been helping a great deal. Thanks for calling me awesome :slight_smile:

Thank you.

In addition, I have made some of my own progress. One of the big things that has been holding me back is that I had to admit to my best friend, who is also my ex boyfriend that my feelings for him have shift since coming out. He already, but was waiting for me to say it. It is so confusing because he is trans, so it could work, but as he became more male, my feelings lessened. I feel horrible for that, he deserves someone who can be with him as he changes, and I don't know if I can. I know I can't right now. Maybe in the future but I can't right now.

14. Queero

That's totally fine if you're not ready for that. I didn't want to sound pushy, sorry.

15. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are not sounding pushy, don't worry. I said that so that you know I am taking your advice, I am just not ready to act on it, that's all.

16. Queero

Okay good. I hate coming off as pushy and I feel like I do a lot.
    I haven't come out to my church yet, but I am not nervous about their reaction at all, because their reaction when a lesbian couple that had been together for years got married last year in Hawaii was something along the lines of "why didn't they tell us? I wanted to make them a cake!"

Also, don't hate yourself for who you are. I have on several occasions over my life, and it's just not good. It's not helpful or productive, and it's bad for you.

17. HugasaurusRex

You should NOT hate yourself, you are a great woman no matter what anyone may say. You were born as you should be, a beautiful gay women, be proud of that, it is not abnormal or normal to be gay, it is just who we are. I hate the term "normal", in today's society the definition of normal seems to be size 0 straight women and masculine straight guys. But to me no one in the world is normal, we are all different and that is exactly how it should be.

But, I understand exactly where you are coming from, when I was 6 I knew I was gay, just back then I did not have a word for it, but when I hit high school (age 11) I quickly came to learn that being different in any way would get you into a lot of trouble with the other class mates. And due to circumstances at school I decided that I was going to live a heterosexual life, or as I called it back then "A normal life", my only regret is not accepting who I was back then. I should have never let society tell me who I was or what I should believe, and neither should you. Keep your chin up and smile to the world no matter what it throws at you.

18. Zane7

Zane7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Phoenix, my heart goes out to you. The truth is that I am a Christian, and I believe that you are a masterpiece in God's eyes. If you feel broken, He can mend the pieces. You are created in Love, and you do have value. Do not give up on yourself, and do not cease to believe that a brighter future lies ahead. You will be in my prayers tonight, dear one.

19. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This may sound a little stupid but when I feel low about my sexual orientation I often think about how small the queer dating pool is and that me being into women helps to make that pool a little bigger and a little more colourful. And I think about the woman who I'll be with one day, who I'll make happy, and how different her life would be if it wasn't for me being attracted to women (maybe she'd even end up alone), and how much each of us matters to the community.
    I believe you're the person you was meant to be. You said that your twin sister is gay but your dad doesn't understand. If you wasn't gay yourself you might not understand as well but like this she's lucky to have you, to have you the way you are - the way you can truly understand what she's been going through. It's a big gain, I think. (*hug*)

20. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You did not come off as pushy. That is awesome with your church. I am going to work on not hating myself, but that is easier said than done.

Yea, I am nothing in the way of normal in the eyes of society. I am just now coming out as gay, but I first knew I was not straight at 18. I was at a Christian college (university) and was heavily involved in most oof the church events and groups. I even wrote the benediction for my graduation. we had a GSA group, but they tried to force me out of the closet years before I was ready, and considering I was so involved with the religious groups, I couldn't. Though the church, I was attending became open and affirming while I was there. Sorry you had to force yourself to be someone you're not. I know how that feels. I am going to try to keep my head up.

Thanks for that. I want to believe there is a brighter future out there, I just don't know if there is or not. I used to believe I was amasterpiece in God's eyes, but I lost my faith in him. When I needed him more than anything, he left, so I did too.

I never thought about it that way. If I don't come out and accept who I am, my future wife will be alone, I don't want to be alone and I shouldn't force her to be either. Thanks. I haven't told my twin yet but I want to, I might say something at dinner one night. I now know what she feels like and how much it hurt her to come out.