1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discovered im gay at 20.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by LoveIsTheAnswer, Mar 4, 2015.

1. LoveIsTheAnswer

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi all...

this is my first post here.

Basicly, im 20, male, from England.

Over christmas I realised im gay. I think it was seeing Adam Lambert doing the new years show from london which made me sure that I like guys :wink: I couldn't stop thinking about him for days...

I just feel like there is so much BS to go through to "sort" this all out. luckily i live in a time and place where being gay is normal.... but I feel like im losing my masculinity...

Before i reliased i was gay, i didnt see myself as really masculine or "manly" but I felt like i was growing into an adult... growing into a "man", a "father"... I felt like i was preparing myself for my future wife and children... And this wasn't a few months i felt like this.. it was a good 2 years or so at least I sort of put sexuality and relationships to the side.

But now im gay... and the thing im REALLY struggling with is the fact that all the guys i seem to like, are dominant male types. Bad Boy types. Where as this whole time i saw myself as that..

So, now im thinking that my personality that ive built up through the last couple of years was all just BS. I was just mimicking guys i crushed on rather than being myself.

When i look back through my life and what hobbies i had and how i spent my time... almost all of it was me doing whatever the "guy in my life" was doing.

I just feel like my TRUE identity is not what i though it was a year ago. I use to feel like everything that im doing was my choice and i did it with people who were mates. Now i feel like i was more interested in doing whatever the guys wanted to do, just so i could hang out and be with them. #

ugh i dunno...

2. SootSprite

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I don't know why you think that liking something and being something are mutually exclusive. Why can't you be a bad boy who likes bad boys?

3. Section18

Section18 Guest

What's a badboy anyway?

4. guitar

At 20 you're still just figuring out who you are. In many ways I'm still the same person I was at 20 and in many ways I'm totally different.

Just because you're attracted to guys doesn't mean you can't be masculine or dominant or whatever. I would just go out in the world & continue being you. So what if you like guys? It's a small aspect of who you are.

I didn't discover until my early 20s I was gay & I am quite masculine. The two don't need to be (and aren't) mutually exclusive.

5. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

I'm 50 and my personality continues to grow. I am a father. I'm also a horny teenager sometimes. And I'm caring mentor to my one fellow. And now a non-exclusive boyfriend to another. Trying to transition into a business owner.

There are a whole list of things that make me up. Since July, I've been stripping away of nearly all my masks. I understand where you are coming from in terms of not feeling like you've been yourself.

Closeted for 37 years. Married for 21 years, and I should have divorced probably 15 years ago. Lot's of issues that caused the whole charade that's been my life...

I'm starting to recognize a lot of my personality, what makes me me. The things that people like and admire about me. The things that make me happy, laugh, bring joy to myself and others.