1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't want to be a lesbian

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by FlynnEnby, Mar 8, 2015.

1. FlynnEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I'm 20 years old and only recently realized that I am a lesbian (though I've still never had any romantic encounters with a girl).
    But I don't want to be gay
    Its not homophobia, i have nothing against gay people. I realize there's nothing wrong with being a lesbian and that its totally natural and all that.
    But it just seems this will make life more complicated then it needs to be, like it will make life harder and more stressful than if I was straight.
    I've talked about this to a couple of my friends who know I'm gay, but they don't really get it (they are straight humans). They just say things like it doesn't matter and that being gay is fine and all that, and i know that all those things are true. But it doesn't change the way I feel right now.
    I just wish i could be a normal human being (for lack of a better word...I don't really believe in the concept of normality).
    No one from my family knows i'm gay and I want to tell them especially my mum. Like i think they would take it mostly well, I know they won't be mad or angry or anything like that, but i feel like i would still disappoint them.

I don't really know what the point of this post is...I guess i'm just wondering if there are any other humans who have felt this way.

2. Clay

Honestly I would be surprised if you spoke to a gay person who wanted to be gay. I'd say pretty much everyone here has gone through what you're going through now.

Eventually when it comes down to it, it's not going to change. The more you try to "fight against" it, the worse you will feel. There's not much that I can really say to help you as it's more of a personal journey. Over time you'll eventually accept yourself. And that's the important thing, accepting yourself.

For me I eventually realised that I didn't mind being me. I was gay, but oh well, might as well live being me rather than worrying about or trying to change something that wasn't going to change. Hell I even realised that I like liking guys. Once I stopped worrying about the fact I liked them, and wishing I didn't, and just accepted that I did it was much better.

So yeah. Over time it'll get better, you just have to learn to accept yourself.

3. Zane7

Zane7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Kaya, my heart goes out to you. I am quite sympathetic with your situation because I quite frankly don't want to be gay either. My reasons for this are largely spiritual in nature. Just know that you do have a choice, whatever you end up choosing. You can choose to simply not live your life according to your sexual inclinations. There is no shame at all in that. As dignified human beings, we get to choose whether to act on our impulses or deny them. Just because you feel a certain way does not mean such a feeling must become the focal point of who you are.

4. Clay

Just junping back in to say that thinking you have a choice, like Zane said, will just make you feel worse.

Whether or not you have sex will not change you being a lesbian. What would be the point in denying yourself sex or love? If you let your misery over being gay control you to the extent it denies you a life of happiness, it will make you feel terrible constantly. Love yourself, don't waste your time thinking you can't experience love or sex just because you are gay. And don't think that choosing to hurt yourself will change things, all it will do is make you feel miserable.

5. DoubleSoul

DoubleSoul Guest

No. Being gay is difficult only in two cases:

- Coming out with family and friends;

- Living in a place in which a gay person could die for his/her sexual orientation.

You're from Malta, aren't you? So, let's exclude the second case.

Coming out with family and friends isn't simple and not everybody accepts their sons and daugther for their sexual orientation. But it isn't rare two parents do.

And don't believe that being straight is simple. It isn't. My sister is straight and has a lot of pressure about her boyfriend, her wedding and bull**hit like those from my family, expecially from my mother. Not to mention about her mother-in-law! :lol:

Let me say: being gay is cool. Because it's our nature. Pull stop.

6. Zane7

Zane7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Clay, how can you honestly say she doesn't have a choice? How is stripping someone of their freedom a good thing? We experience many powerful feelings in this life, and it would be truly disastrous if we were helplessly at the mercy of these impulses. We are more than that. We get to be more.

7. DoubleSoul

DoubleSoul Guest

What type of choice do you refer? That she could "become" straight in the future?

8. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No one is stripping her of her freedom. It's just that being gay/lesbian is a normal thing, and it can't be changed.

Quite like being human. You are human. Even if you want to be a bird, you are a human.

This "lack of choice" is interpreted as a bad thing by many people, but it isn't. The problem lies in prejudice, people think that being LGBT means they aren't normal, or that they need to be straight so they can be happy. That's not true, being LGBT or straight doesn't make you more or less normal.
    Yes, many of us feel that way, because we are raised in a society that tells us we aren't normal. But, trust me, your friends are right when they tell you that this is fine.

You are totally normal, just like me, just like a straight friend you might have, just like everyone. You like girls, and that's ok, love is a beautiful thing!

Do not let anyone tell you you can't be happy being yourself.

9. DoubleSoul

DoubleSoul Guest

I agree with you.

10. Zane7

Zane7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not saying she should deny being a human being. I am merely alleging that choosing to indulge in any desire (sexual or otherwise) is a personal, conscious decision. If she sees value in denying an urge that comes seemingly naturally to her psyche, then who are we to fault her for living that way?

11. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know how you feel. You took the words right out of my mouth. I have lost count the number of times I have said that I don't want to be a lesbian. I don't want to make my life harder, I don't want to be alone.

You are not alone with this. If you want to talk I'm here.

12. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, Kaya5 :slight_smile:

First, I want to let you know that you're not alone. I was 19, when I first started questioning if I was gay (I had already come out as bisexual to everyone) and it was by far one of the hardest things I've experienced. I knew that there was nothing wrong with being gay, but I did not want to be gay. I didn't want to be different or seen as not "normal", but I've learned so much throughout the years that normalcy is just a figment of our imagination.

It's going to take time to accept who you are because it's still a struggle for me, but things are better than ever. So, things will get better as long as you embrace your true feelings.

13. FlynnEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like this

As for whether or not i have a choice...i do think that i have a one. I could either pretend i'm not gay and try to live a heterosexual life or just learn to accept myself. However the first choice seems bloody depressing, so i'll go with the second one.
    I know that there's nothing wrong with being who I am, but i guess this all still a bit new to me.

14. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You gave me a smile. Thanks! :slight_smile:

That's exactly how i think, personally.

The best thing you can do is to take everything slow, remain calm. This is about you and yourself, so take all the time you need.

We are here to help you in anything you need :grin:

15. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's a choice of whether you want love in your life or not.
    If you never act on your feelings toward women you are never going to truly experience love. Do you love yourself enough to let yourself experience it? I hope you do and I hope you do not let anyone make you feel guilty for living as who you are. Just the thought of that makes me angry because no one has the right to take that away from you.

16. Clay

Sex and love are perfectly normal. They're great, in fact. At my bus station there's a statue of a couple embracing, not of anyone famous, just a statue of love.

Denying yourself a joy of life simply because you're gay is ridiculous. You have every right to experience those things.

Freedom isn't denying your feelings. Denying yourself the ability to experience love and sex. You're letting your emotions control you to the extent that you have to change your entire life to accommodate them, rather than accepting that they are part of you and you know what? It's alright to feel them. It's alright to be happy. It's alright to experience something the world celebrates.

Helpless is not the word to describe people who have learned to love themselves for who they are. Who have learned that they don't have to live their lives denying themselves love. If you say you're gay and that means you can never have sex or experience love for the rest of your life, that is the definition of being at the mercy of your impulses. It has overtaken your life so much that you're denying a normal, and fantastic, human experience for the entirety of your life.

17. Zane7

Zane7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not letting emotions control me. I'm allowing God to have his way in my life by submitting it over to Him. I believe that by doing that, I will have peace. I'm not saying such a path is easy, but the best rewards of life seldom are achieved by taking the road of least resistance. I do not believe actively engaging in homosexual behavior is natural. I'm sorry if that offends anyone, and I respect your right to disagree with me and live whatever life you choose.

Kaya, I wish you nothing but peace and happiness in what you decide. I'm glad that you acknowledged the reality that we always have a choice. Knowing you have that choice is what gives you empowerment.

18. Clay

Perhaps if you don't know if the person follows your religious beliefs you shouldn't be telling them to never have sex or experience love. Bear in mind that not everyone lets a book dictate their life, and there's a delicate stage of the coming out process where being told to live a life of loneliness can be incredibly damaging to a persons psyche.

Telling people they deserve to be lonely, they deserve to unnecessarily and pointlessly restrict themselves from a joy of life, and that something that appears in nature is "unnatural", is not a message that we should be telling people. We need to tell people to accept and love themselves, not telling them to restrict themselves and try to call it "freedom".

19. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally agree with Clay.

I think it is irresponsible to tell people that they should be lonely just because a god worries about who they sleep with, or who they love.

You are free to follow a religion, and you may believe this is the best for everyone. But the coming out process is delicate, and you need to be careful on what you are saying, or you will confuse the person even more.