1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning in College

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Schnicklefritz, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Schnicklefritz

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey, I'm new to this (this site, talking on threads, talking to people about questioning, etc) so bare with me here.
    I'm 22 years old and have a wide range of friends across the LGBTQ range and for the most part have always had a very supportive family. I have pretty much always identified as "straight", however, when I was in elementary / middle school, I was often made fun of and called "gay" because I did theater, art, and was just goofy and outgoing.
    I didn't understand what it all meant but I hated to be made fun of (like any kid going through puberty and struggling with that era). I think because of that, I somewhat suppressed any homosexual feelings I may have had (it wasn't until after being made fun of, and trying to learn about homosexuality, that I started entertaining the thought in my head).
    Through middle school and high school I had a few curious moments with other boys that were my friends (daring and playing games) which lead to some secret sexual encounters with another (claims to be) "straight" boy just for fun; but never involving any emotion. Typically though, I had a few girlfriends, sexually exciting, confusing, and emotionally draining.

Basically, I am in college and I haven't been in a relationship in over 2 years and my last girlfriend broke my heart a little but I also somewhat lost sexual interest with her.

I have multiple guy friends that turn me on (but are heterosexual) and tend to enjoy images of bi sex or sometimes threesomes (with two boys) more than boy-girl.

I'm confused and I don't see how any typical "straight" guy would be questioning their sexuality at 22 or if I've just been in denial that I could be gay.

Any input would be great, thanks.

---------- Post added 14th Mar 2015 at 06:27 AM ----------

I guess I'm confused as to why I still think about it so much and feel undecided because (in theory of nature vs nurture) I don't feel like I was born gay, but lately I feel more sexual attraction to some boys than most girls.

2. Gallatin

Hey there.

Sexuality can be fluid, and so it is possible that the same-sex attractions that you experience have grown (and may ebb and flow as such in the future).

I think its important to note that sexual orientation is very much not black and white - or, in this case, gay and straight with no middle ground. There's a whole gray area when it comes to sexuality, and its possible you could fall somewhere in there. Just because you're experiencing attraction towards guys does not mean that you shouldn't or can't also be attracted to women.

3. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

ummm, there's no timetable for developing into a sexually, emotionally mature person...

So, don't be ashamed of being questioning at your age. I was still kind of questioning up until last September when I had my first real close personal encounter with a guys privates... Always knew I was attracted to both, but never explored the male/male side of sexuality/emotionality.

I can tell you, having been with guys and girls now, married for 21 years and falling for my current boyfriend, the feelings & emotions inside feel the same to me.