1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I talk to a psychologist about my orientation?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by PunkRockKitten, Mar 18, 2015.

1. PunkRockKitten

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I posted a thread here and have been doing some thinking and I feel more comfortable with being gay, but I'm still afraid that I'm just confused. I think talking face-to-face with a professional could really help me accept myself. I'll be going to psychologist hopefully within the next month or so for the first time for my mental health problems and was wondering if I could talk to her about this as well. So what I'm wondering is:

1. Can a psychologist help me determine my sexual orientation?
    2. If I tell my psychologist that I think I'm gay, will she tell my parents?
    3. Is it common for psychologists to discriminate against gay patients? And if it turns out mine does how should I react?

2. Zappy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey. I recently started seeing a psychologist for these same reasons. I've only attended 2 sessions so far, but here's my two cents:

1. They can't tell you if you're gay or not, but they can help you sort through the confusion. I'm still not 100% sure of my orientation but things seem clearer than they were a month ago.

2. As far as I know, they can't. That would be a breach of confidentiality. That being said, you're under 18 so I don't know what exactly the situation is for minors. Usually they only inform parents only if they think you're going to hurt yourself/someone else though. Do your parents know you're seeing a therapist? If not and you use their insurance they'll get insurance statements. The statements will only tell them that you've seen a psychologist. They won't say why you were there.

3. A professional one shouldn't. If it does turn out that way, I'd say find another psychologist. The one I'm seeing specializes in lgbt-related issues. I found him through a friend, but if there's an lgbt center in your area they may be able to point you to a gay-friendly therapist

Best of luck. Hope this helps.

3. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You most definitely could seek help from a psychologist to sort out your feelings. I've been seeing one sine October last year and I've gone a lone way since then.

Mind you, though, that a psychologist isn't meant to tell you if you're gay or not, that's for you to decide in terms of labels. Psychologists, as Zappy stated, are not allowed to tell your parents unless you give permission to them unless it is life threatening, but even then thats a separate issue from orientation.

Psychologists are there to help you sort out your feelings, and are meant to be non judgemental. They are there to help you discover yourself. If your psychologist does begin to discriminate, then I would find another one.