1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i went to a therapist and im confused help me

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by joshy the queen, Mar 21, 2015.

1. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so today i agreed to go with my mother to a therapist so that maybe she would be accepting of LGBT and can lead my mother to understand me more she isnt bigoted at all and actually not so extremely religious
    anyway she told me that we need to make a test about my sexual Orientation to know exactly what im going with if im really gay or bi or just straight and curios
    the test is simple and full of questions for like 2 or 3 hours
    is it worth it ??
    she told me if im really gay and i cant be with a girl and not really attracted to girls she will leave me alone to decide weather i want to try to change that in a nice way not change being gay but getting married to a girl (which i dont) but she said thats my choice if i dont want to get married to a girl and im really gay its a choice i can make i have the will to either take the test and continue with her or just leave me
    also she said that im confused about my gender and that im not really a man if im like wearing stuff made for women like jackets or bracelets and smiling so much and the high pitch voice the walk and the talk need to be corrected
    she is really nice and i have the choice weather to make the test (which i might im sure im gay) and then just show my mom that its something i cant change and then i either have the choice to marry a girl she can help me with that or just go my own way
    what do you think guys please help me tell me what is right to do
    oh and another thing is it true that the anus for men will get stretched and stay this way after a long time of sexual relationships?
    also she told me that the only reason that the USA is allowing gay marriages that because it will do good to the government and that they are doing it behind their own goals to gain something good for them they dont care about gay people anyway

2. Emily1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I hope you don't take offence to this but both your therapist and your mother seem homophobic. Being gay is not a choice nor can you change your sexuality. Only you can determine your gender identity and sexual orientation so I don't see the point in taking a test. Honestly, I only see this hurting you and making you more confused than you need to be. Try and find people who are completely indifferent to sexual preferences and stay around them for support.

3. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree with what Emily1 said. And If you were straight you wouldn't have to take a test to prove that and it would never be in your therapists mind that you could change being straight.
    For me it would be a waste of time to sit 2-3 hours to test my sexuality when in reality no test is better or more accurate than my own feelings, so I wouldn't do it if I were you.

I'm sorry I can't answer this question. Hopefully someone else knows more about this than I do.

I might be wrong and I don't even live in USA but I think most politicians don't care about people other than themselves regardless of what their sexuality is.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sounds like totally the wrong therapist for a whole variety of reasons.

First, a competent therapist has zero business telling a client anything about his or her opinion as to the "only reason" gay marriage (or for that matter, any other subject) was made into law. That's fundamentally against the principles of good therapy, and would likely subject the therapist to disciplinary action, at least in the US.

Second, a competent therapist would never, ever try to change a client's sexual orientation because (a) it's impossible and even the largest group of ex-gay crazies disbanded their group because they figured that out; (b) it is unethical to try to do so in many states, and (c) the APA, the largest organization of therapists and psychiatrists in the world, has recognized that sexual orientation change therapy doesn't work and often causes harm.

Third, the comment about anal sex in men is completely wrong, homophobic, shows total ignorance of basic anatomy, and sends a wrong and judgmental message.

I am fairly well versed in the field of therapy, and I've never heard of a credible 2 or 3 hour test to determine sexual orientation. For one thing, a competent therapist would never use a test to announce to a client what his or her orientation is, and for someone who is struggling (which I don't think you are), it would be totally wrong to try to force the client to accept an answer based on the "external validation" of a test result. This is wrong in every way, and I'll wager a substantial sum of money that the test is intentionally rigged so that it's impossible to get a result that shows you're gay. I'd strongly advise against taking it.

Run away from this therapist as fast as you can. There's got to be one who actually is affirming (or at least nonjudgmental) of gay people. That's who you need to see.

5. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What the others said, plus I don't know why but the whole idea of the test seems like some kind of a trap to me.

6. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well that's not right. Why would a therapist give you an exam to test if you were gay or not? To me, a therapist is suppose to help you sort out your feelings, not give you an exam on whether you're gay or not.

Well definetly dont marry a girl if you don't want to. No one chooses their orientation, and to me it seems like that something your mom and possibly your therapist fail to see.