1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Aromantics fall in love?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ForNarnia, Mar 21, 2015.

1. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What is says in the title. To the best of my knowledge, I think Aromantic is someone who doesn't feel romantic attraction (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway, I was wondering, in the same way that some Asexual can enjoy sex, can some Aromantics enjoy a romantic relationship/love the person they are with? (Sorry, it's just something I've been thinking about recently)

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I don't think they can really "fall in love" (that describes romantic attraction) BUT they CAN be in a romantic relationship and enjoy it. I have known a few aromantics that enjoyed being in relationships for the companionship, and feel deep platonic love for their partners, but they aren't actually 'in love' with them.

3. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, we can however love others as friends or family.

One thing to keep in mind is that romantic or sexual relationships with aromantic asexuals is highly problematic. There is no real difference between such a relationship and a homosexual person being in a romantic/sexual relationship with someone of the opposite sex. The definition of aromantic as someone that doesn't feel romantic or sexual attraction is in my eyes problematic.

The reason for this is that describing any of the core sexualities by using the word attraction doesn't really work. Someone who is heterosexual isn't someone that feels sexual and romantic attraction to the opposite sex. If that was true, there would theoretically be no problem being in a romantic or sexual relationship with someone of the same sex. It just doesn't really work and the current definition misleads people into believing that aromatic asexuals in a relationship are no different from someone heterosexual being in a relationship with someone they don't find attractive.

For me, It goes beyond simply not feeling sexual or romantic attraction. There is a complete disconnect with romantic or sexual feelings. It's something foreign and weird and I can't even fathom how someone who feels as I do would want to be in a relationship that involves romantic or sexual behavior with anyone. I feel empty inside when I think of such a possibility. I would be acting against who I am and I would feel fake and uncomfortable as a result. Furthermore, as far as I know, I've always been asexual and aromanic. When I look back, I can see so many events that show that I had no real idea that others feel something that drives them to be in a relationship. I just thought that people are following socially constructed narratives. It was something that created a distance between myself and others as I could not see myself in context of them and their sexuality.

The interesting thing is that once I figured out my orientation, things suddenly fell into place and I could for the first time identify with the experiences of others. For years I felt as if something was missing and when I figured out my orientation, I felt for the first time complete. Suddenly love songs became meaningful to me and for the first time I actually heard the words. That's the meaning of these labels that we give ourselves, they give us a way to relate to others and understand ourselves in context of them.

#3 Eveline, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015