1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexual analogy

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Jax12, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So in a different thread, I asked what it meant to appreciate the opposite gender's looks. I've gotten tons of great answers, with the cake analogy being the best way to explain it (to me at least).

I guess I'm new to the whole bisexual label. Using a similar analogy, I thought of bisexuality like this:

When it comes to dessert, I like ice cream and tiramisu. While ice cream has a variety of flavours, tiramisu is limited to a certain coffee taste. Visually, tiramisu will catch my eye more, but in terms of taste, ice cream beats tiramisu. However, from day to day, my preferences change. There's some days when I want ice cream, and other days where I crave tiramisu.

So what are your thoughts on bisexuality? And how did you come to terms with it?

2. Lyana

I just don't understand this line... why is tiramisu limited to a certain taste? ^^ I don't get it.

My bisexuality has never been about "craving" anything. Even when I assumed I was straight, I never "craved" a certain gender. I don't know what that feels like, craving only guys at some point. I can't remember ever craving a gender in general. It's just, I develop crushes and am attracted to certain specific people, and these people can be any gender.
    As for coming to terms with it, well... I just thought it was pretty cool. Not a big deal.

3. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get where you're coming from, Jax. And I suffer from food-analogy addiction myself. *smile*

I think your ice-cream/tiramisu analogy works described pretty well what it's like to lean solidly in one direction, but have fluidity going on within that leaning. Sometimes you just want that other flavor/texture that you can't get elsewhere...and the longer you go without it, the more you want it, even while having days where the other is perfectly satisfying.

Personally, I would be devastated if a commitment to never having tiramisu again ended up souring my appreciation for ice cream.

4. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tiramisu always has a coffee taste, so in terms of flavours it remains the same. There aren't different flavours of tiramisu, unlike ice cream.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my attraction to men is like tiramisu in that there's only one very specific kind of guy that I'm attracted to (like a brand for instance).

5. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Another food thread, yaay :slight_smile:

I think maybe the solution is to take your time to determine what your needs are in the first place?
    There is not need to settle for one thing just yet- maybe explore how different things feel to you & how being with different people makes you feel.

Personally I know what I like and want, partly because I have explored and experienced and realised what I *dislike*, but this would have been impossible without trying things out first.

6. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

everyone I've meet has a different flavor, no matter if it's tiramasu, ice cream, sherbert, gelato, flan, bread pudding....

It's all sweet when it works right... doesn't mean I'd make a steady diet of all the different desserts out there. Might only be trying one type at the moment, but that is more opportunity at this point.

7. MrK21

i have heard the same analogy only with cake and pie.

8. tssoe02

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My sexuality is as fluid as water. I love the beauty of both men and women and everything between, and I love great personality and good characteristics. That's it.

bi
    ~E

9. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh you pansexuals!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(*hug*)

10. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel that my sexuality is very fluid as well. There's no doubt that I have attractions to men, but Im also attracted to women as well. Saying that I'm not attracted to women is like saying I do not like ice cream; it's obviously not true.

11. woahthatsboring

Lol I love your analogy! I'm probably somewhere between a 1-2.5 on the Kinsey scale as well and I can describe it in the same sense so I get where you're going with it.

It's like saying I like cake(guys) and I do admit I like cupcakes taste as well(girls) but if I had to choose utimaltely if I was gonna get the cupcake or cake, I would have to say cake because my love for cake is a little greater. I'm lovin' these food analogies :slight_smile:

12. candyjiru

All of your food analogies are so cute ^.^ I'm not really good at analogies, though... I've heard a lot of people say that "I don't love based on gender the same way you don't love based on hair color." Blonde, black, brown, blue, pink, red~ I think blondes are super sexy, but that doesn't mean I have to only be with blondes~ a cutie with pink hair? Yes, please! My husband with his thick black hair? Of course! Why would anyone choose just one? Especially when hair color (or gender, or race, or religion, etc) isn't the only thing that makes a person who they are. ♡

13. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

(*hug*)

(&&&)

it's all good, I swear... (!)

14. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's not what I thought you meant, so I'm glad you explained.

My current craving for real tiramisu is preventing me from figuring out which food analogy fits my sexuality best. But I'll try...

I prefer women, all types of women, but I also prefer tiramisu and would rather eat that than have all flavors of ice cream available. My late-developing interest in men was actually based on practical considerations, but I've learned to appreciate them. I wanted tiramisu, but the stores tended to stock ice cream more reliably, so I tried ice cream (coffee-flavored). I found a good brand and stuck with it. Fortunately, I still get to have tiramisu once in a while.

15. wolf of fire

It works but curse you! I really want a tiramisu now...

16. rdbrook23

rdbrook23 Guest

I dont know exactly what tiramisu is, so im going to call it cake. I totally understand what your saying I love ice cream. It has so many great flavors. and unlike tiramisu so does cake. But they both have such a different feeling. One is smooth and soft and the other is rich and warm. I personally jump around the Kinsey scale 1.5-4.0 and I love it. It keeps me from ever getting bored at what I see on the world. There is twice as much beauty in the world for me! Maybe someday I can have cake and Icecream!

17. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just so you all know, tiramisu is a specific dessert - From Wiki: a popular coffee-flavored Italian dessert made of ladyfingers dipped in coffee, layered with a whipped mixture of eggs, sugar, and mascarpone cheese, flavored with cocoa. Awesome. There are variations, but that's the basic model. Ladyfingers are cake-like.