1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi Pride! How do you guys feel?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by rdbrook23, Mar 27, 2015.

1. rdbrook23

rdbrook23 Guest

Hey All,

So after a ton of soul searching I have settled with the fact, and I now identify as Bi. It is something I have kind of always known about myself, but just now have come to terms with it. I should note that I prefer the "label" Bi, but I find I am SUPER fluid from day to day/week to week. When I first started on this path to finally come to terms with this I was actually thinking I was maybe 100% gay. But as much as I was finally being honest with my feel towards men, I never 100% stopped getting excited about woman. So Here I am.

The real point of this however is that I have always identified as straight, and I am married to a woman. Still many people can see that I am not the typical guy and have asked me before if I'm gay. I have even had to show wedding pictures to prove I'm actually married to her (To be fair I was in a gay bar with friends).

Now that things have changed and I am honest with myself. I have a new sense of pride with my sexuality. I would tell anyone I know, but I don’t know how they will react. I certainly don’t want the "your probably just gay" response. Also I have my wife to consider in this. She may receive judgment as well.

So I ask.. Are you a proud Bi? Even in a heterosexual relationship? Do you/ would you tell people if they asked?
    :eusa_danc

2. Astral

Hi!

Of course I'm proud of my sexuality - it's something that's key to my identity as a person and it's nothing to be ashamed of what-so-ever. Even in my past hetero relationships (as a man), I have been open about my sexuality to my partner as well as anyone who asked. After all, your partner is with you because they love you, right? Something minor as, 'I like dudes too' shouldn't be something that'd shake your love. It may make it stronger, who knows? :slight_smile:

If you need any help / have any questions down the road about bisexuality, my wall is always open! (*hug*)

3. candyjiru

I feel the same way, being a bi/pan girl married to a man... I always feel people won't believe me beva use of that, or they might question my relationship with him, but to those people I just have to say, I don't care. It doesn't affect me if you believe me or not, and if you choose not to and choose to try to judge my personal experience based on your beliefs of the sexuality spectrum, then thank you for showing me your true colors.

Of course, I say this as someone who is very much in the closet, but I still think it's a good attitude to have for those I do trust~ good luck with your journey ^.^

4. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've said this before in many threads (and no doubt shall again). Let me try a slightly different take on it this time.

I think people badly conflate "Pride" and "lack of shame".

Am I proud that I had steel-cut oatmeal for breakfast this morning? Hell no. Am I ashamed that I did? Hell no. It just happens to be what I had for breakfast. Now if I was someone who had been told by their doctor that she should be eating steel-cut oats, but I *hated* steel-cut oats, and worked on myself for weeks or months to get myself to the point where I kinda even liked the little buggers...well, then I might be justifiably proud of having had them for breakfast.

[Annika, Annika, *always* with the food analogies!! *sigh*]

Am I proud of having brown hair? No. Am I proud of the way my hair *looks*? Yes! I work to achieve an effect that I find quite fetching in brown hair. When I pull that off well, I take pride in it.

Am I proud to be a bisexual? Hell no. What's to be proud of? I was *born* this way!! But I also have zero shame about being a bisexual, and will gladly tell anyone who asks...and I'll also gladly correct their misunderstanding if they imply I am a lesbian. Am I proud that I have this attitude toward my bisexuality? Yeah, a bit maybe. Seems more functional and self-loving than hiding, or some of the other behaviors out there. Still, I didn't work hard to get to this point, honestly. So it's a mild pride. But the bisexuality itself...just a fact of who I am...nothing I've done.

Am I proud of the relationship I have with my partner? Absolutely!! We've been together 28 years, and we have a bond that very few humans seem to share, mm, ff, or mf. Hell, I think she's incredible and am proud and honored that she's deemed me worth staying with so long!

5. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yes i am, and as soon as the divorce is settled and she cant try for revenge or some such crap in the courts, i will tell any who ask.

6. rdbrook23

rdbrook23 Guest

Thank Everyone who replied, Hoping for more advise on this.:eusa_clap

7. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

No, I'm not proud of my bisexuality.

As biAnnika said, there's nothing to be proud of about being bi (or having any other sexual orientation). It's not a result of my hard work or good choices, it's just a part of my personality that I was born with.

And nope, I wouldn't tell anyone if they asked. There are too many things that could turn ugly if I did. If I lived in another country that's not so homophobic, I maybe would.

Also rdbrook23, would you tell us what is it that you're proud of about your sexuality? I always struggle to understand.

8. scxred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There's nothing wrong with you feeling proud.. especially when any non hetero normative identity is looked down upon in some parts of the world. It makes perfect sense for you to feel proud.

9. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    Pride?
    no, no more than Im proud about being male, or having blue eyes, or brown hair.
    not anything I have a choice in so exactly what is there to be proud about?
    I dont recall any straight people running around proclaiming how proud they are to be straight. maybe how happy they are not to be gay, but thats a different story

10. scxred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Straight people don't proclaim they are proud because they are accepted everywhere and they don't experience the same kind of inequality LGBT people.

11. MetalRice

Pride? I wouldn't use that word exactly; but I like myself.

12. blurryface

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm not ashamed to be bi but I'm still not out to my family because of their views but I'm out in all other aspects of my life and normally people are totally cool with and even if they're not, I don't care about their opinions. I have gotten 'you're probably actually just gay' before with actually surprised me because I'm female because bi guys usually get 'you're probably just gay' and girls usually have the whole 'you're probably just straight and experimenting' thing, both are equally as annoying.

I do think you can be proud to be bi, especially if it's something you've been struggling with and going back and forth on, accepting it and recognising it can make you proud and that's fair enough. Personally I just see it as something I am but I wouldn't mind telling people unless I felt unsafe to do so

13. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This pretty well sums up my own feelings as well. I suppose I could be proud of being out, but that's nothing specific to bisexuality. As I've said before, I am in no way ashamed, but I also don't find my sexuality anything to be specifically proud of. I am proud of being me, but that takes in a *lot* more than my sexuality!